Toddlers: 24 Months+

3 Day Potty Training - Give Up or Keep Going....

We are 1.5 days into the 3 day, bare-bottom, potty training method and have not had a single drop of pee make it into the potty.  DS is 27 months old.  He knows what the potty is and that pee-pee and poo-poo go in the potty and he easily communicates that to us when we ask.  Each time he pees he announces that it's happening, but I can never get him on the potty fast enough to get even a drop of the pee in it.  He seems to be able to hold it for 2+ hours and we even went to the park for an hour yesterday and he stayed dry.  I guess that I just hoped we would have made some progress by now, but I'm starting to think that he just doesn't get it or isn't interested enough and maybe we should stop now.  For those who have tried the 3 day method, when did you start to see some progress?  TIA

Re: 3 Day Potty Training - Give Up or Keep Going....

• The method we used advised that we don't go anywhere for those 3 days.  When you're out and about you pay less attention to their cues.  Are you giving a lot of liquids?  DD loves watermelon so we let her go nuts with it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Unless he was already showing signs of being ready to PT I wouldn't continue. 27 months just seems so young to me.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    I'd keep at it. I don't think 27 months is too young at all - especially if he's communicating when he goes. I would push more liquids so he has to pee more frequently, and I would remain very consistent. My daughter didn't really start making it to the potty until day 3. I always say it took her more like 4 days to really get it. After day 4 she had very few accidents.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I tried 3 day at 25 months because she was physically ready even though she had not shown an interest in the potty otherwise. We had the time, no one was home and it seemed like a good time to try. Big fail so we stopped after 1.5 days because she was holding pee and poop (and hadn't pooped for 4 days at that time and constipation wasn't worth it to me).

i quit talking about it and just let her be naked anytime we were at home (also during summer sort worked out well). She had very few accidents and would just wait until she was in a diaper. One month later she was just ready on her own and started peeing an drooping in the potty and was in panties full time from one day to the next and with very few accidents.  

The 3 day method works for lots of people but not everyone, my kid just needed to be in control and do it on her terms. Being naked helped immensely in our case.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also don't think 27 months is too early.  We didn't see progress until day 3.  The 3 day method actually ended up taking us 10-111 days, but it worked. 
  • I did both my kids at 2.5 years on the 3Day potty training method and they both did amazing with it. I followed the directions to a T though and I didn't go on outings or anything. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Are you having him sit on the potty frequently?  It's going to take a while for him to make the connection between the urge to go and holding it to get to the potty.  At first, you need to take him every 30 minutes or so and lots of praise when pee goes in the potty even if it's just a small amount.
  • Leap08Leap08 member

imagencbelle:
    Are you having him sit on the potty frequently?  It's going to take a while for him to make the connection between the urge to go and holding it to get to the potty.  At first, you need to take him every 30 minutes or so and lots of praise when pee goes in the potty even if it's just a small amount.

The three day potty training we did, says not to do this. As soon as your child starts to pee you pick them up and put them on the potty. And you remind them frequently to tell you if they need to go. You celebrate and reward like crazy if even a few drops of pee make it in the potty. You don't ever make them try to go. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would keep going if you can give it the necessary time and effort.  I did the 3DPT method with DD and she did well.  However, I must admit that I wanted to give up on day 2 because it didn't seem like she was getting anywhere.  On day 3; however, it clicked.

Things we did that may help you:

- Do it on a long weekend when you and your DH are home and will not be going anywhere.  

- Prep all your cleaning stuff in advance of the day - get the mop bucket out and ready, start with a ton of clean underwear, prep the steam cleaner, have plenty of old rags on hand.

- Keep the potty in the room you and LO are in.  Don't expect LO to hold it until they get to the bathroom, they cannot in the beginning.  Also, keep an eye on LO at ALL times, that is why it is good to have DH home, one can clean up a mess while the other watches and tends to LO.  They will not tell you when they have to go at first, you will just see them go and will have to move them to the potty ASAP.  It takes a while for them to figure out the "I need to go" sensation. 

- Make a huge deal when they go in the potty.  Lots of celebratory dancing and singing.  

Good luck!

• We has success a few hours after we started. We had lots of accidents on day 1 and 2 but lots of success as well.

we kind of deviated from the 3 day method. On day 1 I put him on the potty 20 minutes after I gave him water to try to set him up for success. That way I got two or three catches on the first day and could reward him. I stopped doing it in day 2 and he still potty trained in 2.5 days.  

• I cant believe the 3 day method doesnt say to take them potty every 30 minutes whether they say they have to go or not.  I did the 3 day method with DD.  There were a LOT of times she said she didnt have to go.  But every 30 minutes, I took her anyway.  Usually, if she said she didnt have to go, I told her I had to go and asked if she wanted to come with me.  She followed every time and sat on the potty, most of the time she did pee.  I think most kids, when you ask them at first if they have to go, they are going to say no.  And if you wait until they are starting to go, a lot of kids cant stop it and you have now missed your opportunity.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everything I've read says to sit them on the potty every 30 mins or so. Also pumping them full of fluids.

Keep trying, don't give up! 

• erbearerbear member

imageBelhurstBride:
    Unless he was already showing signs of being ready to PT I wouldn't continue. 27 months just seems so young to me.

This. 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • erbearerbear member

imageMJN9510:
    I cant believe the 3 day method doesnt say to take them potty every 30 minutes whether they say they have to go or not.  I did the 3 day method with DD.  There were a LOT of times she said she didnt have to go.  But every 30 minutes, I took her anyway.  Usually, if she said she didnt have to go, I told her I had to go and asked if she wanted to come with me.  She followed every time and sat on the potty, most of the time she did pee.  I think most kids, when you ask them at first if they have to go, they are going to say no.  And if you wait until they are starting to go, a lot of kids cant stop it and you have now missed your opportunity.

The idea is that putting them on the toilet on a regular basis doesn't teach them - it trains you. You want kid to know what the feeling of having to pee is, so they know it.  

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • hipschoolnyhipschoolny member
    edited July 2014
  • Don't give up.  We only saw real progress on Day 3.  I agree with the PPs though, you shouldn't be taking him out of the house if you're truly following the method.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"