Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Night time fussiness

My son is six weeks now, he eats every three hours during the day, however we have noticed that around 4 to 5 pm he gets super fussy! Even though I feed him on his normal schedule he seems to want more! Which I do, I just feel like I am over feeding him! I try to rock him, walk around and bounce him, offer his pacifier, etc. and rule out cold, hot, dirty diaper etc. but it doesn't help.  He goes to sleep about 9-9:30 and doesn't wake back up until 3-4am.  I'm not complaining believe me, just trying to figure out the fussiness! I think he's almost out of the six week growth spurt. 

Re: Night time fussiness

• Cluster feeding is normal in the evening. Don't get hung up on a feeding schedule. Feed on demand.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Feed when wants to be fed but he might just be fussy. Try mommys bliss gripe water. Really helps my LO in the evenings. Turns my lil monster into a very happy baby
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Pretty much every baby is fussy in the evening. It's normal for them to want to feed constantly and not really be happy with anything you try to do to soothe them for a few hours before bedtime.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My baby is 6weeks and she has always been fussy when it gets to about 7pm'ish. It's frustrating but I've found she's less fussy when I'm not absolutely stressing about it. Just feed on demand, rock, change and do all the things you're doing but stay as serene as possible.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I guess my only other question is if its cluster feeding should I be giving him
    like 4 ounces every single time he gets hungry or should I offer him four at the regular feeding timed and then two ounces in between when he's hungry again?
  • My baby is fussy every night too. She also likes to feed more, which helps her sleep longer at night. I would say feed on demand and you will reap the benefit with more sleep at night.

New Mommy!!!

• imagercantor:
    Cluster feeding is normal in the evening. Don't get hung up on a feeding schedule. Feed on demand.

Yep. Some babies have "the witching hour" in the evenings. They are just done and overwhelmed with being up, awake and stimulated. The only thing that would minorly help DD with this was to go in a dark room where it was quiet and shush/rock/snuggle gently. Sometimes not even that (too stimulating). Just hold her and be still in the quiet was enough to get her to not flip out completely. She would still fuss but it wasn't the scream fest it was normally. You can always try that.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagercantor:
    Cluster feeding is normal in the evening. Don't get hung up on a feeding schedule. Feed on demand.

this. And it's that cluster feeding that's helping him sleep that long stretch at night. He's just filling up on your fattier nighttime milk before going to sleep, which enables him to stay full, and therefore sleep, for longer periods. As he sleeps more and takes fewer feedings at night, he has to make up for it at other times. You're doing the right thing!

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • imageMamaMiccichi:
    I guess my only other question is if its cluster feeding should I be giving him like 4 ounces every single time he gets hungry or should I offer him four at the regular feeding timed and then two ounces in between when he's hungry again?

i would offer smaller amounts after the initial 4-oz feeding, jus an oz or two at a time. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • thank you to all of you who have answered its a lot of help I will try offering smaller amounts in between at night and see if that helps!
  • My dd was like this pretty much every night up until about 8 weeks and then it got a lot better.  
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"