December 2013 Moms

What to do when Tums don't work?

Sweet lord someone help me I feel like my heart's on fire! And Tums aren't helping me anyone else have killer heartburn and not having luck finding something to relieve it? I should mention I was taken off my heartburn meds when I got pregnant because they haven't been tested through pregnancy and are a RX.

Re: What to do when Tums don't work?

• I used gaviscon, or gavisgon I don't remember exactly what it's called. Doctor said it was ok. They are chewables and actually taste fairly good

• imageSoozerella:
    What were you on? I take protonix which is category b. maybe switch your meds?

I was on a new one it starts with a D and my pregnant brain can't remember and I got rid of it so I wouldn't be tempted to take it. It was also for ulcer prevention because after many weeks of tests a year ago it was determined that I am pre ulcer and therefore needed that extra boost too. I have tried the other RX in the past and nothing helped and my gastro dr isn't sure where to go either since everything that's helped me hasn't be tested through pregnancy or isn't safe. Mobile angry/annoyed face. So really I guess I was looking for if anyone has some home remedies?
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSamanthakrys:
    I used gaviscon, or gavisgon I don't remember exactly what it's called. Doctor said it was ok. They are chewables and actually taste fairly good

Over the counter or RX? I don't think I've ever heard of these.
  • Zantac!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Zantac works great!
  • I use papaya enzyme to aid digestion and decrease heartburn. I get it from the health food store. Good luck. Hope it gets better.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersimageimage

• Zantac is what I've been taking on the occasion it pops up.

Also, for me (I repeat, for me) drinking a small amount of milk often helps. And by small I mean half a glass at most. However, for some it does nothing, and for some it makes it worse. I know a lot of people say not to drink milk for it, but it honestly has helped me, so figured I would suggest it.

• Losec! It's cat c, however I have been told by multiple drs and pharmacists that it's fine. They also give it to new born babies... So it's ok in my book! Life saver.
  • imageJennaDyer:
    imageSoozerella:
    What were you on? I take protonix which is category b. maybe switch your meds?

I was on a new one it starts with a D and my pregnant brain can't remember and I got rid of it so I wouldn't be tempted to take it. It was also for ulcer prevention because after many weeks of tests a year ago it was determined that I am pre ulcer and therefore needed that extra boost too. I have tried the other RX in the past and nothing helped and my gastro dr isn't sure where to go either since everything that's helped me hasn't be tested through pregnancy or isn't safe. Mobile angry/annoyed face. So really I guess I was looking for if anyone has some home remedies?

Dexilant? It's a category B safe in pregnancy. Talk to your OB. They should feel more comfortable than the GI in prescribing it.
  • Yep you can take Zantac. My friend did everyday during her pregnancy when even water was giving her heartburn.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Zantac was recommended by my doc last pregnancy.  It worked for a short while but then stopped working and I was prescribed Nexium.  Saved my life.  I was actually vomiting in the middle of the night from the reflux.  :/ 
  • Gaviscon is amazing!

if they don't work try Zantac, 150mg 

• imageSarelnad:
    Zantac was recommended by my doc last pregnancy.  It worked for a short while but then stopped working and I was prescribed Nexium.  Saved my life.  I was actually vomiting in the middle of the night from the reflux.  :/ 

I'm on nexium too, and was for my last pregnancy as well.  If heartburn gets really bad, I'll pop a zantac as well.  I have a sliding hiatal hernia along with my heartburn- no fun.

• I was getting pain that I was scared was my gallbladder.  The doc recommended treating for reflux first with Pepcid AC 1 in the am and 1 before bed.  Works great!!  If I forget to take a dose I eat tums by the handful with very little relief.  Hope you feel better!

image Lilypie - (zGBv)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"