Parenting
Options

Moving to Australia! It's official!

So a few of you may remember a few months back I posted about DH possibly getting a transfer to Sydney, AU.   Well it's official, we are going!  We got the paperwork and are signing tonight for a 2 year rotation.

DH has to be over there to start work 9/1, DD and I will probably follow behind somewhere between the 15th and 25th of that month that way we can make the rounds and say goodbye to friends and family. 

We haven't told any of our family yet (other than his brother who will likely be moving into our house for 2 years to watch our place and our cats) so keep me in your prayers that I don't get guilted to death by our parent for taking the grandbaby (and soon the be grandbaby) overseas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving to Australia! It's official!

• Options
    OMG!  What a great opportunity for your whole family.  Hopefully your parents can see that and not try to make you feel guilty.  It's only 2 years. Which will fly by!
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options

imageHolls2011:
    Congratulations!  That is very, very exciting.  Watch out for the spiders, and snakes, and other creatures that make Australia look fascinating and terrifying all at the same time. 

Yeah it was funny last night DH was complaining about the attic flys (we've gotten an insane number of them in the last week) and how he will be happy to leave just to get away from the bugs.  I looked at him and was like "Honey we are moving to a place where they aren't just annoying they can kill you." To which he shrugged and laughed.  Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck! One of my girlfriends was an exchange student in Australia, and she loved it there!  She told me once, though, shaking out your shoes is a must.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    Congrats! Curious- how does their health care system work over there with your pregnancy? 
  • Options
    How exciting! I'm so envious. Good luck!
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    Happy for you, sad for us Chicagoan bumpies. Enjoy your stay there!
  • Options
    Sounds like an awesome oppurtunity!  Congrats and good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageCTGirl30:
    Awesome!! I'm sure it'll be an incredible opportunity. And only for 2 years so the guilt trip shouldn't be too terrible.

Clearly you haven't met my parents or his.  I'm pretty sure they both have taken special classes on how best to guilt the crap of your adult children :)

• Options

imagecerratocc:
    Congrats! Curious- how does their health care system work over there with your pregnancy? 

My husband's company basically buys us a slot in their healthcare ex-pat insurance system, it's still a private policy but we just continue to pay on our US policy in exchange. So we will have insurance in both countries.

In AU our policy will cover 100% of the hospital stay, the delivery, etc.

It will cover up to 7,000 for additional pre-natal care prior to actual delivery. 

The only thing that seems worse than our US plan is that for some bizarre reason the international policy doesn't cover birth control or IUDs at all, nor vasectomy or sterilization (not planning to go those last two routes but interesting). So we will just wait til we return to the states next Spring for a visit to get my next IUD placed since under the Affordable Healthcare Act here it's covered 100% under our US insurance.

• Options

imageMamatoA2010:
    Happy for you, sad for us Chicagoan bumpies. Enjoy your stay there!

Aww thanks!  Don't worry I'll be back to pester you all in 2 short years about GTGs again Smile

• Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    Congrats, how exciting!!! I'd hands down to take the opportunity too!  You should intro on the International board.  There are a couple of super nice ex-pat moms living in Australia that post there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelrn327:
    Congrats, how exciting!!! I'd hands down to take the opportunity too!  You should intro on the International board.  There are a couple of super nice ex-pat moms living in Australia that post there.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't even realize we had an international board (tells you how often I look at that giant list on the left.  I was just wondering where to go to get more info so that's perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"