May 2013 Moms

Video vs audio monitor

Sorry if this has been rehashed a hundred times. Is a video monitor necessary or does a audio monitor suffice? We used an audio monitor with our daughter, who is now 12. We are now needing a monitor with our new LO but curious if we should go video. Thoughts?
Beautiful Daughter born January 2001 TTC since July 2006 HSG June 2010 - Clear tubes Clomid - First round July 2010 = BFN 2011 Clomid + IUI (2) = BFN 2011 Femara + IUI = BFN September 2012 New RE + Femara + Menopur + Trigger + IUI = BFP

Re: Video vs audio monitor

• I thought video monitors were a ridiculous frivolous item.

Then my DH's coworkers bought us one and I freaking love it. Not a necessity, but its really nice to see LO when I'm pumping in the other room.
  • delinodelino member
    Not a necessity, but really really nice to have.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I also thought a video one was a little over the top, so I got an audio one.  LO is 6 weeks old and we just exchanged the audio one for a video! :)  It's super nice to have!!!
  • Thanks Ladies! I think I will splurge on a video monitor!!!
    Beautiful Daughter born January 2001 TTC since July 2006 HSG June 2010 - Clear tubes Clomid - First round July 2010 = BFN 2011 Clomid + IUI (2) = BFN 2011 Femara + IUI = BFN September 2012 New RE + Femara + Menopur + Trigger + IUI = BFP
  • I love mine.  It's nice to be able to look and see what's going on.  For example, my 21 month old sometimes wakes at night.  She cries.  However, if she cries while laying down, I know she will be ok and will fall asleep again.  But, if she is crying and sitting up, it's likely because she needs something.  So I know when to go in and when to let it ride.

If I were to go in and she really didn't need me, I'd just wake her up and then it would be ugly for a while.

• Video all the way. I actually don't even use the audio feature on our video monitor because our apartment is so small I can hear her anyway. Snuffles is a very loud sleeper, so the video monitor allows me to see if she is making a ton of noise because she is awake and will start crying soon, or if she is just sleep grunting. It has saved me a TON of sleep.
    She is here! 5-29-13

• The other nice thing about video monitors as your kiddo gets older: when you put a toddler down for naptime, it may get quiet in their room, but they might not be asleep, or even in bed for that matter! It will help you better calculate actual sleep time in the future, and know when/if LO gets out of bed, etc.
  • Video all the way. Priceless with a toddler.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was a necessity for us b/c the nursery is far away from our bedroom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love my video monitor and I've only used it a few times.... once LO is in her crib fulltime, we'll use it all the time
  • Right now I have a Audio with the Sensor Pad which I love because it detects the babies breathing. But maybe once she gets older I will splurge and get a video monitor as everyone seems to recommend them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LN1024LN1024 member

imageAllieAGame:
    Video all the way. I actually don't even use the audio feature on our video monitor because our apartment is so small I can hear her anyway. Snuffles is a very loud sleeper, so the video monitor allows me to see if she is making a ton of noise because she is awake and will start crying soon, or if she is just sleep grunting. It has saved me a TON of sleep.

May I ask where Snuffles came from? I always think of Snuffleupagus when I read about you talking about your daughter. Ha 

ETA: Video all the way. 

• Thanks again Ladies! Looks like I'm going to start comparison shopping on a video monitor!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"