Baby Showers
Options

Worst/Best shower activity

Hi all, I am new to the Bump and TTC #1, but a lot of my friends are pregnant and having showers.  I have been to a ton these days and participated in all sorts of activities/games...some good, some not so good.  

What is the tackiest thing you have seen at a baby shower?

What is the best/most fun thing you have seen at a shower? (for future reference when I have to plan one for SIL)

imageimageimage
Funny Anniversary Ecard: I love being married to my best friend. I can tell him anything because half the time he doesn't hear me.
TTC Sine June 2013
BFP #1 August 6, 2013  MC August 10, 2013
Started temping January 2014

Re: Worst/Best shower activity

• Options

Best: Diaper Cake (It's not really cake or edible... it's just a bunch of diapers stacked like a cake)

Tackiest: My friend's best friend hosted a baby shower for her and had a bunch of diapers stuffed with various kinds of chocolates in them (to make them look like poop) and people at the shower had to sniff them and guess the type of candy (hersheys, kit kat, ect). I personally found this repulsive. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and my MIL is hosting a shower for me, and I really hope she doesn't do this game. I might puke, especially now that I am pregnant! haha! 

Angelbesdme
  • Options

Best: Signing a story book (provided by the hostess) as a keepsake, decorating onesies, guessing the MTB belly size with ribbon

Tackiest: Bring money to "chip in" for pizza (i wrote a post on this), the diaper smelling game (so gross) and the one where people drink a beverage from a baby bottle to see who does it the fastest 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tackiest? I'm really NOT a fan of the 'bring a pack of diapers' showers. Although, without my knowledge, my shower was planned as a 'bring a book' shower. It was great. We got so many books I'd never heard of.

Best? It's not a game but, the hostess purchased a pack of newborn diapers and had people write funny stuff on them. They are designated for middle of the night diaper changes only.

ETA I love the idea of an advice book. Or wishes for the new baby.
    AmyBeth BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Worst I've ever heard of:  Melt candy bars in a diaper. Guests have to do a sniff test and guess the type of candy.

Best game: hostess prepares a basket of small baby items and carries it around so guests all get a chance to look.  Guests write down as many of the items as they remember.  MTB gets the basket of stuff.

Best activity: (Note: I loved this activity, but many people at the shower where I did this hated it and felt really uncomfortable.)  Decorate a onesie with fabric markers.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

For me it's pretty simple - no games, MTB unwraps gifts during brunch/lunch, and I'm outta there in 2-3 hours.  That's it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• Options
    imageJemmaWRX:

For me it's pretty simple - no games, MTB unwraps gifts during brunch/lunch, and I'm outta there in 2-3 hours.  That's it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

This seems pretty grinchy to me. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options

Tacky - I really hate the "guess how big mom's belly is" game.  I find it humiliating.  Also, "Don't say baby..."

Best - I'm stealing from what my mom did for me but she had a personalized tree made (Miller Family Tree).  Each of the people who came dipped their finger into an ink pad and pressed a leaf onto one of the limbs.  They then signed their name by the leaf.  The tree is so gorgeous in the end.  Also, the "I hope" cards.  There are these cards that the guests fill out that say things like, "I hope you grow up to be..." "I hope you aren't afraid of..." "I hope you always respect..." And the answers are really funny/moving.

Please, oh please, do not make me fill out my thank you envelope.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    LuCloLuClo member

The tacky ones have already been laid out.

Best: Everyone got a container of play-doh and had to make a baby.  Mom picked her favorite baby for the winner.  The families were very heavily Portuguese- lots of cute little old ladies- who all made babies with VERY BIG genetalia.  It was a riot.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tackiest: diaper raffles, books instead of cards and filling out your own self addresses envelope for thank yous.

Best: every guest gets an ice cube with a little plastic baby frozen inside and whoever notices that theirs melted first wins. And name scrabble, the guests get a paper with the babies name on it and try to make as many words as possible, whoever gets the most wins.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options

Besides a lot of the ones mentioned, I don't like the ones where you have to taste the baby food and guess what it is. Yuck.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"