February 2013 Moms

Too High, Too Low...Scared FTM LONG

My DS has been battling a fever since Saturday(101.7). Then Sunday night he woke up screaming an hr. after we put him down for bed. He was freezing! Temp of 97. DS typically runs on the hot end of normal. Called the pedi on call nurse. She said it was not too low, but to put him in a warm bath to make him comfy and wrap in blankets and check temp after an hr. and go see dr. In morning to check for ear infection. We did & his temp went up and dr. Said it is likely a virus.

Last night it was round 2! No fever all day, but screams 2 hrs after bed! This time only 96. Tried to warm up, but barely got to 97. Called nurse after he was completely unresponsive when we tried to take temp. I mean turned on lights, yelled name, sat him up, Nothing! Nurse said as long as he is breathing and eating and over 97 we are ok, but to check temp every 2 hrs. It stayed at 97.3 from 3am on. Nurse said only critical if below 97....we had to use 3 blankets and a hat to keep it at 97.3 This morning he is a toasty 98.6!  

Is this normal? I am freaking out about tonight!

Side note: we live in Tx so it is hot outside! He sleeps in cotton long sleeve pjs and we turned air to 76. I am a SAHM...so not really exposed to kids much.

Praying LO gets better! Breaks my heart!  Guess more of a scared rant than anything! Thanks for reading. 

Re: Too High, Too Low...Scared FTM LONG

• That's really scary.  I think if it happens again tonight I would go to the ER because obviously something is going on.  Couldn't hurt to get a second opinion.  Hope he feels better soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes if your little one normally runs warmer I would be worried! Baby G's normal temp is 97.4 and it has been since she was born at first they were worried but then they kept taking it and it stayed consistent. Poor baby :/ I hope you he feels better
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSagen:
    If it were me i would take him in to be seen by a doctor. Being unresponsive is a big red flag for me. List to your gut. KUP

This. An up and down temp would be concerning, but in our baby first aid class they emphasized about 5 million times that if your child has any sort of change of consciousness (listless, unresponsive, etc), that you should go to the hospital and get it checked out. I think you've absolutely done the right thing so far by contacting the nurse's line, but if it happens again tonight, I'd go a step further and go to the doctor. I agree with Sagen that you should listen to your gut. The nurses are not in the room with you and don't know what your baby is usually like.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imagekelly321:

imageSagen:
    If it were me i would take him in to be seen by a doctor. Being unresponsive is a big red flag for me. List to your gut. KUP

This. An up and down temp would be concerning, but in our baby first aid class they emphasized about 5 million times that if your child has any sort of change of consciousness (listless, unresponsive, etc), that you should go to the hospital and get it checked out. I think you've absolutely done the right thing so far by contacting the nurse's line, but if it happens again tonight, I'd go a step further and go to the doctor. I agree with Sagen that you should listen to your gut. The nurses are not in the room with you and don't know what your baby is usually like.

All of this. I hope your LO is better tonight, though! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies for your thoughts! I was ready to go to ER last night if it happened again, but tthankfully it didn't! He slept great and had a normal temp. He is happy and seems to be getting over his little virus. Still watching closely, but I think we are headed in the right direction!  

• Glad to hear he is doing better.  But next time dont call the nurse line.  If he is unresposive and not answering you when you call his name and move him and hes not waking up take him to the ER.  With babies when t hey are sick they act all normal and in the blink of an eye the crash. 
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • imageDBW0622:

Thanks so much ladies for your thoughts! I was ready to go to ER last night if it happened again, but tthankfully it didn't! He slept great and had a normal temp. He is happy and seems to be getting over his little virus. Still watching closely, but I think we are headed in the right direction!  

Oh, good. I was worried about him all day yesterday. lol I have issues. 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"