January 2013 Moms

"Thinning out" purees

We haven't gotten very far giving DD solids. She's had mashed avocado, mashed banana and pureed pear. I read though that with some items once I steam them I should add back the water to freeze the cubes but I'm not sure why I need to add back water. [Maybe it'll be obvious when I actually try preparing other foods?]

Can't I just blend up and feed her items without "thinning" them with water?  

Re: "Thinning out" purees

• No, you don't have to thin them.  It's really based on each puree and your/baby's preference.  Some just puree thicker than others, some babies won't take thicker purees, especially at the beginning.  Even if you don't thin them out with water before freezing/storing you can always do so before you feed them to her if need be.

The cooking water will have some extra flavor/nutrients so that's the benefit of using it.  You really don't use a ton of fluid to thin things out (usually) so like I said, it might not be needed at all, or you can do it later if you find it needs it. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • When you steam or boil food it loses nutrients so adding back the water it was cooked in puts those nutrients back when it gets blended back in the food.

Also because babies are used to drinking their food by breastmilk or formula the inital texture difference plus a completely new taste is a lot for some babies to handle. Starting with thinner foods that are closer to liquids will help with the adjustment sometimes. Then you can go thicker as the baby adjusts.
  • Loading the player...
  • FYI I have also read that certain foods, such as carrots, you should not add back the water that they were steamed/cooked with because it has nitrates.  So many rules!!  Were are just in the beginning stages also.  
  • imageAllisonS27:
    FYI I have also read that certain foods, such as carrots, you should not add back the water that they were steamed/cooked with because it has nitrates.  So many rules!!  Were are just in the beginning stages also.  

I've heard this too! There really are so many rules + they seem to be changing all the time. I just read that eggs + peanuts are no longer off limits like they used to be, but I won't intro them too early just in case.

DD seems to be fine taking thicker foods, the avocado + banana weren't very thin when I fed them to her. I was planning to steam vs. boil because I think boiling pulls out more nutrients. I guess I'll try not thinning things out in the beginning. I can always use breast milk if I really need something.

• I've only done sweet potatoes that needed to be cooked first, but I added water to make them less pasty. 
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD needed thinner purees at first so I have added a bit of water at times.  It is just a preference thing.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageAllisonS27:
    FYI I have also read that certain foods, such as carrots, you should not add back the water that they were steamed/cooked with because it has nitrates. nbsp;So many rules!! nbsp;Were are just in the beginning stages also. nbsp;
    Darn it!! I did not know that!! I just made and froze a bunch of carrots!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014
  • imagethis decaf life:

imageAllisonS27:
    FYI I have also read that certain foods, such as carrots, you should not add back the water that they were steamed/cooked with because it has nitrates.  So many rules!!  Were are just in the beginning stages also.  

I've heard this too! There really are so many rules + they seem to be changing all the time. I just read that eggs + peanuts are no longer off limits like they used to be, but I won't intro them too early just in case.

DD seems to be fine taking thicker foods, the avocado + banana weren't very thin when I fed them to her. I was planning to steam vs. boil because I think boiling pulls out more nutrients. I guess I'll try not thinning things out in the beginning. I can always use breast milk if I really need something.

Egg yolks are good for babies (soft boil them so they retain nutrients and are liquidy enough for LO to eat) but not the egg white part, which can cause allergies.

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • imagenycitygirl1:
    imagethis decaf life:

imageAllisonS27:

Egg yolks are good for babies (soft boil them so they retain nutrients and are liquidy enough for LO to eat) but not the egg white part, which can cause allergies.

I just started Elyse on solids this week and we did soft boiled egg yolk. So good for their brains! She loved it. I am going to try avocado mashed next. Getting this whole solids stuff down is stressing me out haha! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"