Natural Birth
Options

What drives me nuts about A Baby Story

Mobile: What drives me nuts about A Baby Story

I DVR baby story then pick the shows that interest me, and I particularly like the ones with natural childbirth or water births or the occasional home birth. I'm sure many here don't even watch, but I do like seeing babies born.

What drives me NUTS about the intro commentary is anytime there is a woman seeking natural childbirth, the commentator says something like "The plan is for an unmedicated water birth, BUT WILL SHE BE ABLE TO MANAGE THE INTENSITY OF THE CONTRACTIONS???" or something along those lines. I hate that!!  Why is there always the expectation of failure just because someone doesn't want an epidural? Why don't they ever say "She's planning to have an epidural, BUT WHAT IF IT CAUSES THE BABY TO HAVE PROBLEMS AND NEED A C/S????"

Re: What drives me nuts about A Baby Story

• Options
    I feel like they probably film many births and only pick the intense ones to air. Almost all of my friends have had way more straightforward births that the show portrays. I know things can get dramatic on occasion, but I dislike how they make it seem like the norm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tmrchitmrchi member
    My hypobirthing instructor actually had one of the births she was a doula for air on "A Baby Story"  She said the birth went completely according to plan, and everything was great, but when the episode aired the editing made it seem like the mom and baby were in a life or death situation.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetmrchi:
    My hypobirthing instructor actually had one of the births she was a doula for air on "A Baby Story" nbsp;She said the birth went completely according to plan, and everything was great, but when the episode aired the editing made it seem like the mom and baby were in a life or death situation.

Wow! This is so cool to know! Thanks for posting
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, I stopped watching not because I don't enjoy the concept of birth stories, but because the commentary and framing just made me angry. I always ended up yelling at the TV.
  • Options
    Thank you! I thought I was the only one annoyed by this show. I mean I like to watch the ones that might encourage me to feel comfortable to have a natural birth (I'm a FTM) But if I only watched that show and did no research on natural/unmedicated birth...I would be TERRIFIED! Even the opening clips showing ambulances and women who are on the brink of (what they want to portray) death. 

image image  image  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    tmrchitmrchi member
    you might be better off watching natural births on youtube if you want to see some inspiring ladies
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagetmrchi:
    you might be better off watching natural births on youtube if you want to see some inspiring ladies

I know. I watch those too. I'm getting ready for my second home birth (third child) and mainly watch some to see if any end up being natural or at least somewhat-decent hospital births.  I've seen enough normal (non dramatized) births, plus my own, so I'm not really looking for inspiration.  I turn off the ones that annoy me.

Just saw a cool water birth with a FTM in a hospital. I like the midwife she had, and that mw has been on the show before. 

• Options
    shiwayshiway member
    This is exactly why you shouldn't even bother watching this show. It's so insulting to labor and woman. It's so unproductive in supporting and fostering a realistic view of labor and birth. Terrible.
  • Options
    The only reason I watch that show (very irregularly) is because I love to hear those first precious newborn cries. It makes me cry every time, haha.

I will have to check out natural birth videos on YouTube!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"