Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How many newborn clothes to buy?

My son is 4 now and I can remember that he wore newborn for a long time!

I think I have like 5 onesies and a handful of sleepers but we have quite a few sizes of 0-3 months.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How many newborn clothes to buy?

• I had barely anything in newborn. J was 8 lb 3 oz and SWAM in 0-3 month. We had to make an emergency stop at wal mart for some newborn stuff. I'd say get at least a few sleepers, onesies and pants. 
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • So.... I am buying 3-6 month stuff. LOL. I know my baby will be 9-10 lbs at birth, and newborn will fit for like a day. Even 0-3 will fit for maybe a month, so I'll get more of my money's worth with 3-6 stuff. It'll be bigger but not as huge as you'd think.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • skioskio member
    If you already have some stuff from your son, don't buy anymore. Or if you do, keep the tags on. You will probably need a good amount if your son was in NB for a while, but you never know.

DD1 was 8lbs13oz and 22" and never fit in NB. DD2 was 9lbs and 20.5" and fit in NB for a whole week; apparently because she's not as long.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • DS was 8lb 6oz 21in and wore NB for about a week and a half. The NB onesies were small on him from the start, but the NB sleepers were just right. Now he's in 0-3 and 3 month. If you have a few things I wouldn't buy more just yet. We ended up buying 2 extra sleepers after he was born b/c we only had one, but that's all we needed.

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• I'm on the other end. DD was 6lb 15oz at birth and lost down to 6 6. Some NB clothes are too big but the ones I bought at a consignment sale are perfect bc they have shrunk a little. We have enough onesies but only a few sleepers and I want more.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • I had gestational diabetes and they said Jack would be a big baby. He came out 6 lbs, 14 oz and dropped down to 6lbs 2 oz.  His newborn clothes were huge on them. He is 7 weeks and just now, starting to grow out of them. His 0-3 stuff was huge and actually now is still too big.

I had to run out and buy newborn pants for him. You can get away with 0-3 onesies but not pants if he is a small baby. I suggest a 3 pack of newborn pants. On Amazon, they have a blue, grey and camo set.  This lasted him good. The sleepers I never used because we swaddle in his onesies.   

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can always buy more after baby gets here. My husband made a Target run the night we got home because my daughter came a little early and ruined our plans to pick up more clothes.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought just a few things maybe 3 outfits and one pack of onsies? He was swaddled mostly so it didn't terribly matter.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She never wore newborn sizes just 03
  • We had a few newborn onesies but she was too big for those after the first week. We've been using 0 to 3 months ever since. Yes they're a bit big but she looks cosy and they'll last a little while.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had zero newborn things because we were told we were having a huge baby. He did come out big but I swear its all in his head. His head has been off the chart since birth. We had my mom run out and just get a few onesies and sleepers and that lasted us the first two weeks until he could fit in his 3 month stuff. He is a big guy at 5 weeks being 11 pounds and 23 inches but he's skinny, except for his head, so 3 month stuff is still baggy. I'm saving the new born stuff I did get for my SIL who is due in September. She's 6 feet tall so I'm assuming she'll have the same long, skinny baby issue we had. DH is 6'7 so DS will always be tall and skinny. Maybe ask other mommies if they have any NB outfits you can have just in case? Also, if you sign up for Carter's email you'll get all kinds of coupons and you could order a few things
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member

Well, we had a ton of 3-12 month stuff from my shower and my SIL (from my nephews) because my LO was measuring in the 95th percentile in weight (they were talking 10+ lbs!).  However.... he decided to come 7 weeks early at 5 lbs 10 oz (which is still pretty big for a 33 weeker!).  We had nothing to put him in, so I had to go and buy a bunch of NB stuff for him to wear.  

So I'd get a couple outfits, onesies and sleepers - but I agree with the PP - it all depends on the baby.  LO is just now fitting into 0-3, 3 month stuff, and it still a tad big.  His NB stuff is too small now (he's 15 weeks and 9 1/2 lbs now)

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• imageChristyD6:
    I'm on the other end. DD was 6lb 15oz at birth and lost down to 6 6. Some NB clothes are too big but the ones I bought at a consignment sale are perfect bc they have shrunk a little. We have enough onesies but only a few sleepers and I want more.

This. DD was 4 weeks early and is teeny. Even at almost a month old, the newborn stuff is big on her. I think we'll be in NB for another month at least.

Also, OP, note that the sizes vary by brand. The Gerber NB flies smaller than Carter's, and everything is smaller than Gap, which is huge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagercantor:
    You can always buy more after baby gets here. My husband made a Target run the night we got home because my daughter came a little early and ruined our plans to pick up more clothes.

this. As long as you have a few outfits and sleepers in NB size, I wouldn't run out and buy a lot more. Every baby is different, wait until baby comes, then if you need more, just get them as the need arises. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • be888be888 member
    Our baby was 8 lbs 7 oz and 21 in and wore NB and smaller 0-3 months for about two weeks. We only 2 sleepers and 4 onesies in NB. My DH made a run to Target to get more sleepers. He was living in zip-up sleepers for that time. We also had a few NB onesies, but they were to tight for him to wear past the first week. If you get them, I would get the side-snap, kimono style onesies. They are much easier to put on as well.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• It totally depends on the baby. My DD was 7 lbs 13 oz and 21.5 inches. She was back to birth weight by 10 days. She wore NB for 3 months, at least. She was wearing 03 pants at 9 months. My DS was 8 lbs 3 oz. we are still in NB at 6 weeks and a long way from fitting in his 03 stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"