Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Depo shot ?

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Depo shot. If you did use this form of birth control did you like it?
I can't ever remember to take the pill and Mirena isn't covered by insurance either. Thanks for the input!

Re: Depo shot ?

• mgm84mgm84 member
    I would never go back on it!  It made me gain weight and I completely lost my sexual drive.  Plus, a lot of my friends had the same reaction and lost hair.  They also now put a black box label on it because it makes your bones less dense - putting you at risk for osteoporosis.  Are you breastfeeding, because I am not sure you can take it while doing so.  What about the ring?  There are other methods that are less harmful in my opinion :)

Lilypie - (eoyh)

• imagemgm84:
    I would never go back on it!  It made me gain weight and I completely lost my sexual drive.  Plus, a lot of my friends had the same reaction and lost hair.  They also now put a black box label on it because it makes your bones less dense - putting you at risk for osteoporosis.  Are you breastfeeding, because I am not sure you can take it while doing so.  What about the ring?  There are other methods that are less harmful in my opinion :)

This! I gained a lot of weight from the shot. Worst decision ever. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagemgm84:
    I would never go back on it!nbsp; It made me gain weight and I completely lost my sexual drive.nbsp; Plus, a lot of my friends had the same reaction and lost hair.nbsp; They also now put a black box label on it because it makes your bones less dense putting you at risk for osteoporosis.nbsp; Are you breastfeeding, because I am not sure you can take it while doing so.nbsp; What about the ring?nbsp; There are other methods that are less harmful in my opinion :

Yes! A friend of mine has been on osteoporosis meds since her early 30s thanks to depo....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on the depo for almost a year at one point and instead of it taking away my period or making it light and sporadic I had a steady period almost every day until I quit getting the shot. Never, ever again....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageamberdanielle68845:
    I was on the depo for almost a year at one point and instead of it taking away my period or making it light and sporadic I had a steady period almost every day until I quit getting the shot. Never, ever again....

Ugh, mine was pretty bad too. I have never heard anything good about the depo shot. 

• I actually was on it for three years and had no reactions to it. I had tried the pills but learned I have a sensitivity to synthetic estrogen. On the shot it controlled my periods. I didn't have any weight gain but did get headaches more frequently.
  • I did the shot in college and I was nauseous for the entire 6 months and had awful fatigue. I also don't do we'll with synthetic hormones so ill be getting the copper IUD that is hormone free. You're insurance might cover that over the mirena which does use hormones. If not I used the ring for years. Only issue really with that was sex turned into a ring toss game if you get my drift.
  • I was on it for 3 years and stopped when it started messing with my thyroid. I now have to take meds for it and it messes with my milk supply. While on it I had to take 4x the normal amount of calcium just to come out even. It is definitely not worth it!

Mrs. Jaynes

• Have you considered Natural Family Planning? I mainly just track my mucous and cervix (never got a good temperature schedule down)... it is pretty easy to get down to a 4 day period of when not to have sex. And the best part - no weird chemicals to mess up your body or libido. Cause let's face it... motherhood is exhausting enough! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"