May 2013 Moms
Options

Holy crap heat help please.

I live in a pretty mild climate. We usually don't get much weather over 80 in the summer time. Well it's been 95 to 100 for days now. Needless to say we have no AC and my LO is not feeling good. She is fussy, hot and seems to be spitting up a lot. She isn't dehydrated cause I have been nursing her ever hour in the day and about every 2 to 3 hours at night to make sure she stays hydrated. But she is miserable during the day. Any tips for helping keep her happier in the day time?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Holy crap heat help please.

• Options
    HZ2012HZ2012 member
    Do you have fans to keep the air circulating? Keep her in just her diaper and maybe wash her down with a cool wash cloth every so often? Keep the blinds or curtains closed too. That helps keep it cooler.
  • Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    We don't have AC either. I have fans in the windows, blowing in on one side of the house and blowing out on the other to create a cross breeze. I put LO in the coolest spot to nap, which happens to be the hallway, lol. No sunshine there. And when I feed, I try to keep his skin and mine separate, because we stay cooler that way. My mom said to lightly mist him with water if it gets too hot, but luckily, the house hasn't gotten over 85 yet.

Our pedi said keep him in just his diaper during the heat of the day.

I really wish I'd picked a house with AC now! I didn't realize how much it would affect him!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageHZ2012:
    Do you have fans to keep the air circulating? Keep her in just her diaper and maybe wash her down with a cool wash cloth every so often? Keep the blinds or curtains closed too. That helps keep it cooler.

The diaper and washcloth is what we've been doing.  Miserable! 

• Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Also, if it gets too hot, I plan on just going out for a drive with the AC.
  • Options

I was going to ask this exact same question! We've got our basics down... keep the curtains closed, open the windows at night close them when it gets hot, we're hangin in the basement, turn off all electronics we're not using, LO is hangin in his diaper...

But we had to go out of the house today... that carseat is brutally hot!!! Any tips for when you leave the house too? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagehelenkayj:
    I was going to ask this exact same question! We've got our basics down... keep the curtains closed, open the windows at night close them when it gets hot, we're hangin in the basement, turn off all electronics we're not using, LO is hangin in his diaper...But we had to go out of the house today... that carseat is brutally hot!!! Any tips for when you leave the house too?nbsp;

I put the carseat in the car, start the car and crank the AC, then load him in once it's cool. If not, that seat is way too hot.
  • Options
    Ugh! Sorry you guys are going through this... Any way you can get a window ac unit so you can have one cool room?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    I live in AZ and in my old room , it got very hot. My parents got a small swamp cooler and though it made it very humid it also made it much more comfortable
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I am going to use fans, I was worried about getting wind in her ears from the wind, but if others are doing it, it must be ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagebeckyschell:
    Thanks for all the advice! I am going to use fans, I was worried about getting wind in her ears from the wind, but if others are doing it, it must be ok.

My fans don't blow directly on him. They are high enough and he is low enough that the breeze is just over him, so the air at his level just circulates better.
  • Options
    I bring the car seat in wherever I'm going. My carseat is black it's just too hot even if I air the car first. It can be a pain to have to lug in to get groceries but it's necessary here.
    Baby #3 on the way!
  • Options

We went through this when Snuffles was 2 weeks old AND my parents and sister were visiting (my 2 bedroom tiny apartment). We are in Germany and the weather stays pretty mild, so literally nowhere has AC- not even the mall or grocery stores. It was absolutely miserable, but we made use of a dinky portable AC thing that worked just good enough that we weren't all miserable, lots of fans, and a little cool water/washcloth on Snuffles temples/wrists/feet if she got too fussy. It got almost to 100 degrees one day.

But then as soon as my family left, it went back down into the 60's. Naturally. :) Good luck with the heat! I feel your pain.

She is here! 5-29-13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"