Baby Names

The name Cecilia and middle name help

Mobile: The name Cecilia and middle name help 

Hi baby name board! What are your thoughts on the name Cecilia? Specifically...

1) Do you prefer Cecilia or Cecelia?

2) Does the former spelling make you think of 'cilia' = slender protuberance of a cell? 

3) How do you feel about the popular song by Simon and Garfunkel? Do you think it gives the name a bad connotation?

4) And finally... help me pick a middle name! Our last name rhymes with Rowen

Cecilia Sofia (after my inspirational aunt)

Cecilia Anna or Annabelle (my middle name is Anna after my grandmother)

Cecilia Catherine (no family connection)

Cecilia Casady (last name of MIL)

In general I've been drawn to classic, traditional names that stand the test of time. I'm also Catholic so it's a bonus if it's a Saint name- Cecilia is the patron saint of music.  

Other names I like include Hannah, Victoria, Elizabeth, Samantha, Alexandra, Julianna, Isabella, Isla, Felicity, Aurelia, Seraphina, Calliope.

Sorry about the long post and many questions! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The name Cecilia and middle name help

• I like Cecilia. That's how my grandmother spells it.

cilla I guess I see it but it wouldn't bug me.

Not familiar with the Simon and Garfunkel song, nor will most other children in any of her classes so it wouldn't but me.

I like Cecilia Sofia 

• I prefer Cecilia, it would never make me think of 'cilia', I know the song but wouldn't let that stop you from using it (as pp said, no one her age will know it), and I like Cecilia Sofia. It's a beautiful name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think either spelling is gorgeous. great name I don't think of the song. xo

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Cecilia

2. Not really

3. The connection wouldn't bother me.  I don't think anyone will look at your LO and think "Oh, her name is Cecilia?  She must be a hussy."

4. I like Cecilia Anne or Cecilia Catherine

Of you other names-- I like Elizabeth or Victoria.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Cecilia is my preference for spelling. Are you in the science field? We lay folk don't know this protuberance of a cell talk. The song wouldn't sway me one way or another. Sofia is my favorite MN.

• imagecarpenters3:

Cecilia is my preference for spelling. Are you in the science field? We lay folk don't know this protuberance of a cell talk. The song wouldn't sway me one way or another. Sofia is my favorite MN.

Yes, I'm in the science field. It's just a part of a cell that helps it move and what not. It's good to hear from outsiders that it really isn't a big deal! 

• imageHelenahhandbasket:

3. The connection wouldn't bother me.  I don't think anyone will look at your LO and think "Oh, her name is Cecilia?  She must be a hussy." 

Point taken. People have all these associations with names and generally I will give the advice not to let it sway you, however when it comes to naming your own you have all these doubts! 

• 1) I much prefer Cecilia. Such a cute name.

2) No, not at all.

3) I had to think a minute to even remember that song. I think your over thinking it.

4) Love, love, love Cecilia Annabelle and it sounds great with Rowen. 

The other names you like I wouldn't really go with as most of them are quite overused and others (Aurelia, Seraphina, and Calliope) are a little out there. I do like Felicity though as it has a great meaning and also happens to be my best friend's name. 

• Thanks for the input and opinions! I appreciate it. 

• 1. I prefer Cecilia

2. No

3. I like it, and no, I don't think it gives the name a bad name ;)

4. Cecilia Joan

My mom is Cecile and I love that name too

• imagePhalaenopsis:

I like the name Cecilia; it's probably in my top 10.

1) Do you prefer Cecilia or Cecelia? Cecilia -- female version of Cecil.

2) Does the former spelling make you think of 'cilia' = slender protuberance of a cell?  I know what cilia are, but the name doesn't make me think of the cell part.

3) How do you feel about the popular song by Simon and Garfunkel? Do you think it gives the name a bad connotation?  It's a neutral association.

Cecilia Sofia (after my inspirational aunt)  Nice!  Like it!

Cecilia Anna or Annabelle (my middle name is Anna after my grandmother)  Anne would scan better.  Cecilia Annabelle is a mouthful.

Cecilia Catherine (no family connection)  I like Catherine as a mn, but I don't love it with Cecilia.

Cecilia Casady (last name of MIL)  Just okay.

Other names I like include Hannah, Victoria, Elizabeth, Samantha, Alexandra, Julianna, Isabella, Isla, Felicity, Aurelia, Seraphina, Calliope.

We have similar taste in names.  I like a lot of these.  I also like Cecilia Victoria as a fn/mn combo.  

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • This one is on our short list, love!

1. Cecilia

2. Never even occurred to me before now

3, Love the song, doesn't bother me at all.

4. I like Sofia or Annabelle 

image  image

• I actually very much prefer Cecelia. My grandmother is Cecelia Ann which I think is very nice.

• 1) Do you prefer Cecilia or Cecelia? Cecilia, like the saint. One can still use the NN Cece with this spelling.

2) Does the former spelling make you think of 'cilia' = slender protuberance of a cell? No.

3) How do you feel about the popular song by Simon and Garfunkel? Do you think it gives the name a bad connotation? I like it and I'd go more for the saint reference, but DH absolutely won't go for this name because of the song. In his mind she's a hobag. :(

I like Cecilia Annabelle (or Anne, I think a variant spelling still honors you and g-ma)

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a "Cecilia"- my mother wasn't sure how she wanted to spell it, so she put "Cecilia" on my birth certificate, but wrote "Cecelia" on everything else.  I was "Cecelia" until I turned 16 and was told that I had to use "Cecilia" because it was on my birth certificate and I would have to legally change my name to "Cecelia"... looking back, I think that was probably BS.  I now prefer Cecilia, but I struggled with it. I think I've heard that Cecelia is more of an Irish spelling, but I can't verify that.

A lot of people enjoy singing the song to me when I tell them my name- it was a lot of fun in college, but sometimes it gets old.  There's another "Cecilia" song from the 30's or 40's maybe and I used to hear that song when I worked at the retirement home!

My middle name is Mary- after my mom.  She wished she would have gone with Marie because it flows better.  We used "Marie" as a middle name for my daughter, even though my mother and MIL are "Mary".... As for your choices- Cecilia Sofia could be tough to say if there's a lisp.  They're all nice though.

Finally, I love my name. I use Cecilia professionally, but my nickname is CeCe (again, not sure why my mom went with that instead of Cece) and I enjoy using it on a casual basis.  If I introduce myself as "CeCe", people sometimes think I've said, Susie or Stacy, etc.  

• 1) Cecilia

2) Not really

3) The name really, really reminds me of the song, but not in a bad way. It's a catchy song.

4)I don't like the double "A" ending for Sofia or Anna. I like Annabelle or Casady for the family connection.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • 1.  LOVE Cecilia.  And I prefer this spelling.

2.  No it doesn't.

3.  I'm surprised some people say that younger kids won't know the song.  It's not from my generation at all but I know the song.  Regardless, I really like the song but I don't think all Cecilias are going to be whores.

4.   I like Cecilia Catherine quite a bit.  I like pps' suggestions of Cecilia Anne too.

• imagefitzpemberley:
    1. nbsp;LOVE Cecilia. nbsp;And I prefer this spelling.2. nbsp;No it doesn't.3. nbsp;I'm surprised some people say that younger kids won't know the song. nbsp;It's not from my generation at all but I know the song. nbsp;Regardless, I really like the song but I don't think all Cecilias are going to be whores.4. nbsp; I like Cecilia Catherine quite a bit. nbsp;I like pps' suggestions of Cecilia Anne too.

All of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"