Working Moms

Does your DC charge for late pick up?

We finished our daycare visits and have chosen our #1 pick, but one thing that annoys me is that they charge for late pick up.  They close at 6:30 and for every 15 minutes they charge $15.  I understand why they do this (have to pay the staff overtime, etc) but only 2 out of the 4 places we looked charge for lateness.  I'm just wondering if this is normal practice.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Does your DC charge for late pick up?

• I've never looked at a daycare that didn't have a similar policy. Usually you are late if you are 3-5 minutes after close and then there is some sort of fee schedule (your center's fee schedule is very forgiving). 

Also, I only have looked at 1 that closes at 6:30, they normally close at 6, which is a big deal b/c we live in a big city with tons of traffic.  

The other reason to charge is to discourage you from being late when the teachers are tired, your child is tired, and everyone needs to go home. Not you specifically, but in general.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Loading the player...
  • shannmshannm member
    Yes, this is normal.
  • aglennaglenn member

imageSunAndRain:
    $1/min

This for us, too.  Although there was one time when I was stuck in traffic due to a huge accident along with several other parents, and I called to let them know I would be late and they did not charge me.  Things can happen, but there are some parents who are habitually late and that is not fair to the child or the staff, so there needs to be a consequence IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jbatchjbatch member
    I run a daycare and we charge a dollar a minute. But that money goes directly to the teachers. Two teachers have to stay and we pay them .50 a minute per child. So the center does not actually make any money off of it. We actually lose money because we still have to pay the Teachers their hourly rate on top of the "bonus" amount.

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageSunAndRain:
    $1/min

This

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    very common and pretty cheap amount to what folks in NYC area get hit with
  • imageSoMoNY:

This is actually a commuter town from NYC out in Jersey.

Thanks all, since I'm a FTM I had no idea what to expect (and the first place I looked didn't charge).  I would hope that we aren't late often, but DH will be doing pick ups so on nights I have to do it, I'll have to leave work early to make it on time (I end work in Manhattan at 6 and the train is about 45 min w/DC being 10 min away from the train).  There was one place we looked at right near the train that closes at 7, but we just liked this place better than the one open later.

• imageCurls218:

imageSoMoNY:

Thanks all, since I'm a FTM I had no idea what to expect (and the first place I looked didn't charge).  I would hope that we aren't late often, but DH will be doing pick ups so on nights I have to do it, I'll have to leave work early to make it on time (I end work in Manhattan at 6 and the train is about 45 min w/DC being 10 min away from the train).  There was one place we looked at right near the train that closes at 7, but we just liked this place better than the one open later.

SInce it sounds like it will be an occasional thing, is there any way you can leave 1/2 hour early on the days you are picking up?

• ccamccam member
    imageHilarityEnsued:

$1/min for the first 15 minutes.... then $5/minute thereafter.

They be serious.....

I want to say ours is the same.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• image*sparky*:
    imageCurls218:

imageSoMoNY:

SInce it sounds like it will be an occasional thing, is there any way you can leave 1/2 hour early on the days you are picking up?

Good point. Our DC charges $1/min for the first 15 then $5/min thereafter, and we can get kicked out of the center if we are late so many times. I would make sure you can adjust your schedule to be there on time if you need to be.

January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• image*sparky*:

That's what I'll plan to do.  Though it's more like 45 min early.  Hopefully my bosses will be ok with that.  I won't actually tell them til I have to do it, though.  Why bring it up 6 months before it'll actually be an issue?  Worse comes to worse I can find someone else to do pick up if I absolutely cannot leave when DH isn't available.

• We certainly get charged if we pick up after DC closes. We also get charged extra (Can't remember how much) if LO is there more than 10 hours a day. Even though the center is open 6am-6pm, DS can only be there for 10 hours/day for the standard rate.
    DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Our's does.  I forget what the price is.  They are typically lenient if circumstances are out of your control...like an accident causing traffic delay, or an emergency occurred. They do have to pay staff to be there, and if they don't charge people will take advantage.  Plus, they have things to wrap up after the last child has left, so just because someone finally picks their kid up it stil prolongs them able to leave even longer.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • imageCurls218:
    image*sparky*:

That's what I'll plan to do.  Though it's more like 45 min early.  Hopefully my bosses will be ok with that.  I won't actually tell them til I have to do it, though.  Why bring it up 6 months before it'll actually be an issue?  Worse comes to worse I can find someone else to do pick up if I absolutely cannot leave when DH isn't available.

I agree you don't need to say anything now, especially if this will only be an isssue occasionally.  And you can offer to come in early, stay late another night, etc. to make up for it if needed.  Unless your job is super rigid, I would hope they would work with you.

• Ours charges, but I am not sure what the policy is. Thankfully I have never had to pay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think ours is $5 the first 15 minutes, and then $1 for every additional minute. 

• imagetheresat858:

6:30 is pretty late, honestly.  

We pick up LO by 5pm.  We've never been late. It's honestly not that hard to be on time...particularly  6:30!!

My DH usually does pick up but I just leave work early if I have to.

This is all completely relative depending on your job and the schedule it demands. I could never pick my kid up at 5  b/c I don't get off until 5 and neither does my H. If this were us, we can get to DC by 6:30 for sure, but for a 6pm pick up, with the horrible traffic in our city, we can get to DC right on time or a few minutes early.

\image  image

• SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    imageCurls218:

imageSoMoNY:

On north shore of Nassau county its $100 if over 10 min late.  People have been booted for being too late too often

My friend has numerous back-up pick-up options in case the LIRR isn't running. She's close to getting the boot but with twins and a $3300+ bill I think they are giving her a few more chances than she probably deserves.

• imageCurls218:

imageSoMoNY:

Agree with pp's this is totally normal.  I would also recommend you have an emergency backup that you can call to pick up your child.  I live in PA and my DH works in NYC.  All dropoffs and pickups are on me, DH is never home before 6 (and usually more like 7-8pm).  If I ever have to work late or travel or something I have to depend on my mom to pickup the kids for me.  She has carseats for them and is on the contact list at daycare.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagehocus:

In NYC 6:30 is early. There is the commute issue (bus and trains get behind and in general commutes of 45 min+ are more common) and there is also just the culture of NYC which is very late shifted. 

I didn't look at anything that closed at 5. I couldn't do that and I WAH and have a lot of flexibility, but I can't just leave at 4:45 everyday.

I literally just posted another thread about work hours.  I get out at 6, and with my commute I'll be getting home at 7!  Manhattan offices (esp in the entertainment industry) have a totally separate work schedule, I feel.

• Our DC charges a late fee. I forget the exact amount.  The director said if you are late once and call ahead, its not a problem. The fee is to discourage habitually late parents.
  • All of the centers and preschools we've looked at do that.  The in-home DCP we used to use technically did it too, but I think she was more lenient and didn't charge unless the parents were regular abusers.
    imageimageimage
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    Normal late charge fee for every DC facility and in-home I have used;$1 min
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSunAndRain:
    $1/min
    I wish this was us! If we pick up even a minute late, then we are charged for a whole day. Luckily there are very few days when I cut it close enough to worry about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • $25 for the first 5 minutes then $5/min after. They really don't want you to be late.
  • yep a $1 a minute. DH was responsible 1 day to pick up and was late, he was 22 minutes late. But since it was our first time they only charged us half. But they do make exceptions for severe weather and bad traffic.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

• imageaglenn:

imageSunAndRain:
    $1/min

This for us, too.  Although there was one time when I was stuck in traffic due to a huge accident along with several other parents, and I called to let them know I would be late and they did not charge me.  Things can happen, but there are some parents who are habitually late and that is not fair to the child or the staff, so there needs to be a consequence IMO.

This is our situation as well.  The teachers have told me when we've chatted that they get that things happen but if you call and keep them updated and it's not something you do often they generally don't enforce it.  They said there are some parents who are late more than they're on time and the fees are meant for those kinds of people/situations. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• As far as I know, every day care charges. Mine is 1 dollar a minute

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yup 10 dollars every ten minutes
  • imagetheresat858:

We pick up LO by 5pm.  We've never been late. It's honestly not that hard to be on time...particularly  6:30!!

Honestly, I don't get out of work until 6pm, so I 5pm pick up time would be impossible.  I don't use a center, but your comment is so close minded that I had to say something.  We have live in care, and yes, I walk through the door every night  between 6:30 and 6:45, depending on traffic, so no "6:30 isn't pretty late" for everyone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • SoMoNYSoMoNY member
    imagetheresat858:

Not sure where you live but even if I leave work at 5:30 on the dot I'm not getting in till just past 7.  And that's if LIRR doesn't crap out on us.  If we have a jumper I might not get in till 10! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"