Stay at Home Moms
Options

Infant on school bus

Does anyone know the safety rules for an infant on a school bus?  My former school just called and invited us on a field trip to a museum.  They are taking a school bus, and I am wondering how to take the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Infant on school bus

• Options
    I would call the school back and ask them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If the school bus has seatbelts you can strap the carseat. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would bring a carseat and buckle it in just as you would in a car. If there aren't seatbelts I would put the baby in a carrier or sling, which is what I do on public transit.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For DS's preschool, the kids had to be 4 or you had to bring a carseat in.  It was only an issue for the fieldtrips last fall...3 kids were still 3 in the 4 year old room.  I would call back.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

imageMermaids&Magic:
    imagepenguingrrl:
    I would bring a carseat and buckle it in just as you would in a car. If there aren't seatbelts I would put the baby in a carrier or sling, which is what I do on public transit.
    This makes me think: What do people who take cabs with 1-2 year olds do? Like, i know they aren't carrying a convertible seat around. Do they just plop them in the seat or what? Is it even legal?

Legally speaking cabs (and limos) are exempt from carseat laws pretty much everywhere. From a physics standpoint cabs are cars and every danger associated with driving in a car is present in the cab. My kids did not ride in cabs even once in the 5 years we lived in Manhattan. Other people do use cabs without carseats, either assuming cabs are somehow safer or assuming it won't happen to them. Some also argue that cabs are trained in defensive driving and that makes it safer. I personally don't like riding in cabs anyway because you don't know who's driving it and I don't do well as a passenger in the car (I drove through midtown Manhattan in what turned out to be false labor because letting other people drive makes me so anxious), so it was easy enough not to put my kids in one.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know there are no seat belts on these buses, and the school didn't know.  I just called and they said I could meet the bus at the destination.  My DS would have loved a ride on the school bus, but I think meeting them will be better for everyone.

• Options
    imageamy052006:

imageMermaids&Magic:
    imagepenguingrrl:
    This makes me think: What do people who take cabs with 1-2 year olds do? Like, i know they aren't carrying a convertible seat around. Do they just plop them in the seat or what? Is it even legal?

FLAME FREE CONFESSION TIME.

DH put DS1 in a cab maybe three months ago, going from the pedi's office to the museum. (I drove to the pedi, and they were taking the train home).

No car seat.  Just buckled him in, gave him some bunnies (so thank god at least his snack was still smug), that was that.

I am surprised letranger didn't hear my reaction from her hosue when i found out.

And yes, it is legal. 

Holu cr@p, he would be dead!  

• Options
    imageamy052006:
    imagepenguingrrl:
    imageamy052006:

imageMermaids&Magic:
    imagepenguingrrl:

FLAME FREE CONFESSION TIME.

DH put DS1 in a cab maybe three months ago, going from the pedi's office to the museum. (I drove to the pedi, and they were taking the train home).

No car seat.  Just buckled him in, gave him some bunnies (so thank god at least his snack was still smug), that was that.

I am surprised letranger didn't hear my reaction from her hosue when i found out.

And yes, it is legal. 

Holu cr@p, he would be dead!  

You know, I would have thought so too. And I did freak out. But you know, it was seven blocks in gridlock.  I got over much more quickly than my initial reaction would have led me to believe.

7 blocks in gridlock means the could have walked faster lol! So then I'd be upset on principal but wouldn't be furious the way I would for a longer drive or one in which the cab was going full speed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"