Toddlers: 24 Months+

what age did you ditch the highchairs?

Mine are still in their highchairs because it keeps them at the table. We haven't changed to the toddler seat yet because the back on our chairs is too far back for them to lean on.

Do you still use the boosters? Or are your almost 3 yrs olds sitting in regular chairs now?
Thanks! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: what age did you ditch the highchairs?

• We stopped at about a year and a half. He wanted to sit at the table, so we'd let him. Unfortunately, the booster seat that the highchair turned in to was too high for the table, so we made a makeshift booster that put him at chest length with the table. We didn't really have a problem with him getting up and down at that point. Now that he's 3, well, it's harder for him to stay in one place but most of the time he is good.

We do not use a booster at home but we will sometimes use a booster if we go out to eat, depending on his level with the table. He doesn't really like them though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD declared she was over the highchair before she was 2. 

It's been at least 6 months since she started refusing the booster.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was around 2, maybe a month or two older.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• We still use it.  I tried a booster and he was everywhere.  Funny thing, in public and at other houses, he sits perfectly in a regular chair and stays there! I decided to make the switch permanently in 2 months when DS2 needs the high chair for solids.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS1 stayed in a high chair until 26 months or so. I tried a booster but it was a tight fit for my table and after a few weeks he announced he would sit like a big boy. At first he had to kneel in the chair but now he sits regularly most of the time.
  • We have a Svan high chair that we used at the table but with the crotch guard from about 9-18 months.  Around 18 months we took the crotch guard off so it's just a "youth chair".  My 4 year old uses the "youth chair" from IKEA - basically just a smaller than average chair that's taller so he doesn't need a booster.
  • We have the Stokke Tripp Trapp, which can be adjusted to fit adults! DD has been using it since 6mo. She'll probably stay in it until she asks to sit in an adult chair.

• DD has been out of a high chair for years. She is off the charts for height so it got difficult getting her in and out of them at 12 months. Plus, she started refusing to eat in her highchair so it made the decision to get rid of it easy. The booster seat lasted two months before she started refusing to sit in it too. Since then she has been sitting at the table just like DH and I.

DS ditched the highchair at 12 months also and just ditched the booster. He is kneeling on his seat at the table.
  • We never used a high chair. We went straight to the Fisher Price Healthy booster seat at 7 months. We stopped using that shortly after she turned 2 because she couldn't use it without the tray at our table (couldn't scoot her under the table).

we found the IKEA junior chair and started using that at 25 or 26 months. It is a smaller version of a regular chair but higher so she can easily reach, she loves it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When she grew out of it around 2. Now she mostly sits at a little tykes picnic table for snacks and at the big table on a regular chair for meals.  We still use boosters at restaurants. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • ~18-22mo into a regular chair.  She gets two breaks from the table; she's not required to sit at the table for 40 minutes if she's not eating. :)
    IMG_8355
  • DS1 stopped using the high chair at around 2. He's 2 1/2 now and he sits in a booster seat with straps at the table.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• My DS is still in a high chair and he is almost 3 1/2. We no longer use the tray as his chair is adjustable in height that we can just push him up to the table. He just started climbing into the chair and usually "helps" us with his seat belt.
  • DD1 was 21-22 months.  She didn't want to sit in it anymore so we bought her a booster seat and she's sat at the table ever since.  DD2 is almost 20 months and still in one and will be for a while.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • My 3.5 year old (4 in Oct) is still in a highchair, particularly when I'm by myself with 3u3. She sits in a regular chair at restaurants, and CAN sit in a regular chair at home, but when I'm by myself with the three of them (3.5yr, 2.5yr, and 11m), I prefer to be able to strap them in so I can deal with one at a time, instead of her running off covered in food.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • We stopped using the high chair around 15 months and switched to a chair that attached to the table.  Before 2 we had switched completely to a regular chair at the table though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Around 18 months.

• imagesucredee:
    We never used a high chair. We went straight to the Fisher Price Healthy booster seat at 7 months. We stopped using that shortly after she turned 2 because she couldn't use it without the tray at our table couldn't scoot her under the table.we found the IKEA junior chair and started using that at 25 or 26 months. It is a smaller version of a regular chair but higher so she can easily reach, she loves it. nbsp;

We also used the FP healthy care booster since 4 mos. She still uses it at 2.5 years.
  • We also never used a high chair and used boosters from the get go. 

Ds was done with the booster at two and just sat in a regular chair at that point-he's a tall kid. We never had problems with him wandering around or not eating. Hes always been a good eater though so there's that.  

Dd is much more petite so she'll be on that for a while still. She does use it at the table and we don't strap her in. She doesn't try to escape. 

• 2 and no booster. Neither kid wanted to use a booster. They wanted to be "big like us!"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • EDWHIPEDWHIP member
    Ditched high chair at 20 months and the booster seat was a joke..it lasted maybe a month.  WE went straight to having her sit at the table with us.  We figured the sooner she learns to sit properly at the table, the easier it will be down the road.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"