February 2013 Moms

Fussy baby

DD is still what I would consider a pretty fussy baby. It's to the point where I hesitate to really go places with her. I think it's partly due to a short attention span. No matter what we do at home, whether it's playing on the floor, the bouncy seat, super seat, or play mat, she starts fussing within about 10 minutes (makes it hard to get anything done while she's awake!). She's typically okay in the grocery store, because she gets to ride in the cart and look around as we walk through.

But DH suggested going out to eat tonight. We've taken DD out to a restaurant twice since she was born. The first time was an absolute nightmare. She started crying and wouldn't stop so we scarfed down our food and left as soon as we could. The second time she did okay, but it was a busier buffet-type restaurant with more to watch and listen to.

It's just frustrating because it seems like even when we're interacting with her, she's not very happy. She doesn't smile as much as she used to, and she doesn't "talk" or make cute baby noises very often. It's more just whining and fussing. Anyone else's baby like this? I'm kind of worried. She'll be 5 months old tomorrow. I thought she'd be happier and more playful by now. 

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: Fussy baby

• My dd was the same way. She is muchhhappier now, but still requires a lot to occupy her. Honestly, I think she has ADHD, I do, my father does, and my husband has ADD.

Can you wait to go out until bedtime? Maybe she will just sleep in her carrier.
  • My baby is quite similar... Very high maintenance. I get insanely jealous when I read about others' chill/ mellow babies. Although ours actually is often better in public than at home, especially if we take him out of the car seat. He does smile and screech often, but he doesn't really babble and he doesn't often wake up happy either. I feel your pain also about not being able to get much done while LO's awake. I don't think you should be worried. Babies just have unique personalities I guess! 
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is high maintenance too, but in different ways.  She has epic 1 to 2 hour meltdowns before every nap and bedtime.  If we skip a nap or a bottle or are late with either it cam take hours to calm her. Ni stopped taking her out of the house a month and a half ago.  I feel like I'm doing her a disservice because she's trapped in the house all day, every day, but it's just not worth it to me anymore.  
  • I was just kind of thinking the same thing as it took 20 min of screaming before DD2 decided to fall asleep for the night. And that was a good night. Sometimes she screams for an hour and I want to pull out my hair. I'm not joking - I have started to put in earplugs because her screaming directly in my ear when I pick her up hurts, and I'm pretty sure it's damaging my hearing.

In general she's not particularly fussy, but putting her down for the night is awful even though I always watch for her cues and do her bedtime routine as soon as I see her get sleepy.

DD1 was an extremely fussy baby, so I feel your pain with that, too. I don't want to depress you, but it wasn't until she was about a year old that she was more consistently happy than fussy. Even now (she's 2 years, 2 months) she's pretty whiny, but I don't know how much of that is just normal 2-year-old behavior and how much is a bit more than usual.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• J is very simular in temperment. He's also almost the exact same age and I think you and I went through colic together! He actually does like getting out these days although it used to be a total nightmare. I think I had PTSD from his colic days. I was really scared about getting out with him becuase he used just scream inconsolibly at random times throughout the day. 

I always bring a carrier in case he gets restless in the stroller. Also, I always try to get out right when he wakes up from a nap and try to be home before he needs another nap. So I get everything ready to go during his nap then as soon as he wakes up I feed him and were off! He's a nightmare when he's overtired. 

I've just come to accept the fact that he's just not one of those babies that will just chill all day. Also, have you checked out your nearest public library? I know it's been suggested several times before but Babytime is great! I thought DS would hate it and have a meltdown but he LOVES it. He's content the entire hour we are there (unheard of in this house). The good thing is if he does have a meltdown everyone there has a baby so they understand and they don't care! 

Lastly, I hope this doesn't come out snarky but I feel like the bump is really good at making you feel like your baby isn't "normal". When I'm with other babies J's age IRL his behavior/temperament seems totally normal but compared to many babies on this board he seems crazy! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • imagekbates85:

J is very simular in temperment. He's also almost the exact same age and I think you and I went through colic together! He actually does like getting out these days although it used to be a total nightmare. I think I had PTSD from his colic days. I was really scared about getting out with him becuase he used just scream inconsolibly at random times throughout the day. 

I always bring a carrier in case he gets restless in the stroller. Also, I always try to get out right when he wakes up from a nap and try to be home before he needs another nap. So I get everything ready to go during his nap then as soon as he wakes up I feed him and were off! He's a nightmare when he's overtired. 

I've just come to accept the fact that he's just not one of those babies that will just chill all day. Also, have you checked out your nearest public library? I know it's been suggested several times before but Babytime is great! I thought DS would hate it and have a meltdown but he LOVES it. He's content the entire hour we are there (unheard of in this house). The good thing is if he does have a meltdown everyone there has a baby so they understand and they don't care! 

Lastly, I hope this doesn't come out snarky but I feel like the bump is really good at making you feel like your baby isn't "normal". When I'm with other babies J's age IRL his behavior/temperament seems totally normal but compared to many babies on this board he seems crazy! 

I agree with you say about the bump making you feel like your kid isn't normal.  But, IMO, I think it is sometimes the parents own perception of their child too.  Honestly, when dd was a baby , I didn't see her as difficult.  In retrospect, she was, especially now that I see how chill my DS is. 
  • Yep...mine has been fussy and high needs since he was born. He doesn't like the stroller, screams like he's been lit on fire in the carseat, only likes the carrier sometimes. He has to be constantly entertained and nothing makes him happy for more than 10 minutes. I am still having to hold him for 80 percent of his naps and we cosleep because nothing else works and he wakes up 5 or so times a night. Anytime we take him anywhere further than 5 minutes away we sincerely regret it. Forget restaurants. It is frustrating and I can't wait for him to be a toddler. Babies are not for me.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the replies, ladies! I'm sorry you're all going through similar [or worse!] situations, but it is nice to see that I'm not alone. I think sometimes I expect too much out of DD; I forget that she's still not even 5 months old and that she's learning and taking so much in everyday. Patience is not my strong suit!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"