Breastfeeding

Giving surplus milk to a toddler?

I'm fortunate to have a good milk supply with enough to spare. I am producing about 10 ounces a day above what DD needs between bottles and nursing. Is there anything wrong with giving some of that to my 2 year old on a regular basis?

This morning, we ran out of milk, so I gave him a sippy of breast milk and he loved it. He asked for more and usually doesn't. He takes vitamins, so I'm not worried about the vitamin D aspect.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

Re: Giving surplus milk to a toddler?

• No problem at all - it's still more nutritious for him than milk made for a cow by a cow. If he likes it and you're overproducing right now, use it as an excuse to keep eating more calories yourself!
  • I mixed about 2oz a day into my DD's milk every day. She didn't like it by itself.  I really don't know why I stopped...
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetokenhoser:
    No problem at all - it's still more nutritious for him than milk made for a cow by a cow. If he likes it and you're overproducing right now, use it as an excuse to keep eating more calories yourself!

Haha This is true too!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I have wondered the same thing!  I think it's a good idea.  I don't really pump unless I need to increase my freezer stash, so I don't have enough to give DS#1.  But I would if I did.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't see anything wrong with that!  The WHO even says it's okay to BF until the age of 5!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• I do this if I've defrosted milk and DS doesn't end up needing it.  Why let it go to waste?
  • I don't see why that would be mad. Many 2 year olds still BF.
  • Yep, go for it. I've also heard of people cooking with it and using it to make yogurt.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think this is a fabulous idea if you don't have any reason to save it for your DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • flkongflkong member
    I would go for it, especially since he likes it. Like pp said, some  2 year olds still bf.

• I would totally do it. I'll be lucky enough to make enough for DS2 when he arrives, but if I have any extra I'll give it to DS1.
    DS-"Sprocket" born 3.27.11 Baby #2- due 9.10.13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I give my 2 year old son everyday . He loves it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"