Babies: 6 - 9 Months

how to finger feed LO w/ only two teeth?

DD has two bottom teeth and picks up food so well. i give her puffs to pick up and eat because they dissolve quickly. i hear of other mothers cutting up fruits and other things to let LO feed themselves. i really want to do it but i feel like she'll just choke on it. she does try her best to chew everything that goes in her mouth, but once i tried to let her eat a piece of fruit by herself and she gummed off such a huge piece and almost choked on it! :( 

am i doing this wrong? or i should i just wait? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: how to finger feed LO w/ only two teeth?

• My kid is 6 months and has no teeth and can eat pretty much any softish foods. He had steak tonight, didn't get much though. Also, gagging =/= choking. If she's making any noise then shes not choking.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My LO has no teeth, but can chew pretty well with his gums...I give him any really ripe fruit that squishes easily, so banana, peach, plum, nectarine, pear, strawberries, blueberries...if I can squish it in my fingers, he can squish it with his gums.

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehilsy85:
    My LO has no teeth, but can chew pretty well with his gums...I give him any really ripe fruit that squishes easily, so banana, peach, plum, nectarine, pear, strawberries, blueberries...if I can squish it in my fingers, he can squish it with his gums.

This. To test if I've cooked LOs veggies enough I pinch them. With no teeth she can eat spears of cooked veg (like broccoli, carrots and potato), soft fruits (banana, mango, pineapple), soft proteins (egg yolk, flaky fish) and she gums and sucks strips of steak, pork and chicken (but doesn't swallows much). If you're worried about choking, try something easy first while your LO learns. Broccoli spears were great because they can't possible get enough stalk in their mouth to choke, and the florets fall off when LO chews and are very tiny-easy to swallow or drool out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all, relax!  Your DD wasn't choking, but gagging instead.  That's normal. Babies' gagging reflex is actually located closer to the front of their mouth than to their actual throat.  AS they grow older, the gag reflex moves backwards towards the throat.  So gagging is a GOOD thing - that's how your LO learns how big a piece of food she can handle, and how to use her tongue to move the food back to the front of the mouth.

When we first started BLW (strips of food), DS gagged A LOT.  Like every single meal for about a week.  Then he learned to move the food around and to gum it into smaller pieces.  Altho he has 2 bottom teeth, they don't really do much in terms of "chew".

Like PPs said, start with very soft food first.  We did ripe mangoes, bananas, peaches etc.  Having said that, DS had a hard time picking those up with his hands at first b/c they were so slippery.  That took some practice but now he has learned that it's easier to pick slippery foods up with 2 hands instead of one.  If it's really slippery, I'll hold the piece up for him and he can grab it with his hand.  We've also tried leaving the skin on peach slices - that helps b/c the skin provides more friction. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little guy has no teeth and has been eating table food by himself for over a month. He's just shy of 7 months. He's really gotten the hang of getting small bits into his mouth, but I usually give him something large enough to hold onto then he bites (gums) off what he wants. If he takes too much, he spits it out. 

Just make sure it 'pinch' soft.  

• imageNana_Osaki06:
    My kid is 6 months and has no teeth and can eat pretty much any softish foods. He had steak tonight, didn't get much though. Also, gagging =/= choking. If she's making any noise then shes not choking.

We used to give DS little pieces of chicken, fish, etc. before he had any teeth. I think your LO will be fine.

• We've been giving DS whatever we eat for dinner since 5 1/2 months old and he has no signs of any teeth yet! If your DD is ready for solids, she'll figure out how to eat them :)

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedpraseutsinh:
    she does try her best to chew everything that goes in her mouth, but once i tried to let her eat a piece of fruit by herself and she gummed off such a huge piece and almost choked on it! :nbsp;nbsp;am i doing this wrong? or i should i just wait?nbsp;

Did you give her a whole peice of fruit? Finger foods should be small, like the size of a puff. She should be able to put the whole peice in her mouth and eat it, not bite off peices. I like to use cooked peas because they are soft and already small so there's no prep work. But I also cut up very ripe pears and avocados. Carrots cut and cooked until they are very soft. Cut up bananas too.

I also like the mesh feeders, they are little mesh bags on handles made just for babies. The mesh doesn't allow big peieces through and the handle makes it easy to hold. You can put pretty much any fruit or veggie in, soft ones they will mash and eat, hard ones are good more for teething then eating. Frozen fruit inside is good for cooling off in the summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"