One & Done: Only child

When does this get easier??

I need to wine for a minute...

I am EXHAUSTED. I have an almost 2 year old, am a SAHM and I also work from home. I run two Etsy shops and hand make bridal hair accesories and home decor. I LOVE my son, I love my work...I am just absolutely bone tired. I can't get any work done during the day bc he is so active and gets into everything so I chase after him and play with him all day and then when he goes to bed I work on orders...sometimes until midnight.

For those with older children, when do they start becoming a bit more self reliant? How old are kids when they can really play/entertain themselves and don't need you every single second of the day? I'm not meaning to sound ungrateful...I am so thankful to have my sweet little boy. I am just hoping one day it will be easier and less exhausting than it is right now.

Thanks for any advice!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When does this get easier??

• Forgot to mention my husband does help too...but he doesn't get home until around 5:30 from work and DS goes to bed around 7 so I'm still pulling all the leg work for the majority of the day.
  • Mine is younger than yours but I don't know how you do it. I'll admit I could never SAH. Sometimes, it is nice to get out, even if it is to go to the office. So here's a creepy internet hug full of admiration for you.

Anyway you could make arrangements with your DH for some time to yourself after DS goes to bed? This sounds lame but I usually leave for the gym around 7:30 at night and blow off a little steam. It doesn't make the day easier, but it might make you feel a little more human until DS can do more for himself.

• Loading the player...
  • imageFianschneid:

Mine is younger than yours but I don't know how you do it. I'll admit I could never SAH. Sometimes, it is nice to get out, even if it is to go to the office. So here's a creepy internet hug full of admiration for you.

Anyway you could make arrangements with your DH for some time to yourself after DS goes to bed? This sounds lame but I usually leave for the gym around 7:30 at night and blow off a little steam. It doesn't make the day easier, but it might make you feel a little more human until DS can do more for himself.

Thank you I needed that hug! lol

I am just so spread thin trying to keep up with everything I feel like there is ZERO time at the end of the day for me. And I'm definitely feeling the effects of it! Colin will be starting 2 year old preschool in September and it will be three mornings a week. I am just trying to hold on until then...those three hours in the morning several times a week will hopefully restore my sanity! haha

• I love three! He has been potty trained for a year, we're done with sippy cups, and strollers. He is so much fun! We can go anywhere. We can have conversations. He can tell me what's bothering him and what he wants to eat. Three has been my favorite age so far!
  • KL777KL777 member

I SAH the first three years and had a part-time "side-gig" after DH got home once DS turned 2, but I did not work until midnight---and it wasn't every night.  Two year old boys are very high energy and it sounds like you're not getting a break.  Have you looked into a Moms' Morning Out program or taking your son to a "summer camp" a few hours per week to give you some time to yourself?

I don't know that it ever gets too much easier after age 2, I'm back to work now but oftentimes I work part-time hours and entertaining a 5 year old all day is hard work too, but they do become more self sufficient as they get older (able to watch TV while you shower, able to get themselves dressed, brush their own teeth, tie their own shoes, pour their own cereal, etc.)

Hang in there and get some help.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• imageLibraryChica:
    I don't have any insight here because my daughter is younger, but could you get a Mother's Helper for a few hours during the week to get some work done and therefore free up some evening time to relax or sleep? School is out and I would think you could get young teen to play with your son fairly inexpensively. Good luck!

I really need to look into this! I just wasn't wanting to spend the money but it's getting to the point where I think my sanity is worth forking over the money...I bet you're right about a young teen being inexpensive!

• imageArcadia1114:
    I love three! He has been potty trained for a year, we're done with sippy cups, and strollers. He is so much fun! We can go anywhere. We can have conversations. He can tell me what's bothering him and what he wants to eat. Three has been my favorite age so far!

This is GREAT! I hope I have the same experience with three! I can't even imagine life before sippy cups and strollers! haha

• imageKL777:

I SAH the first three years and had a part-time "side-gig" after DH got home once DS turned 2, but I did not work until midnight---and it wasn't every night.  Two year old boys are very high energy and it sounds like you're not getting a break.  Have you looked into a Moms' Morning Out program or taking your son to a "summer camp" a few hours per week to give you some time to yourself.

I don't know that it ever gets too much easier after age 2, I'm back to work now but oftentimes I work part-time hours and entertaining a 5 year old all day is hard work too, but they do become more self sufficient as they get older (able to watch TV while you shower, able to get themselves dressed, brush their own teeth, tie their own shoes, pour their own cereal, etc.)

He does go to a little mother's morning out program at our church but they're out for the summer:/ Not having a morning off a week has definitely caught up with me!

He starts preschool in the fall...just trying to hold out until then! Thanks for your advice! :)

• KL777KL777 member
    imageAnnaRedhead:
    imageKL777:

I SAH the first three years and had a part-time "side-gig" after DH got home once DS turned 2, but I did not work until midnight---and it wasn't every night.  Two year old boys are very high energy and it sounds like you're not getting a break.  Have you looked into a Moms' Morning Out program or taking your son to a "summer camp" a few hours per week to give you some time to yourself.

He does go to a little mother's morning out program at our church but they're out for the summer:/ Not having a morning off a week has definitely caught up with me!

He starts preschool in the fall...just trying to hold out until then! Thanks for your advice! :)

Yeah, when I participated in MMO, it took a break during the summer months. You're welcome.  During the summer then, I would look into something like KinderCare for maybe two half days per week---I was never big on teens watching DS at that age. And I agree with pp, your DH should give you a break on the weekends too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I agree with Librarychica in getting a mothers helper or even a program for him a few days a week for half a day or something. I work from home and she goes to DC full time. I cant do anything if she's here. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    My son is about 9 months older than yours but wow was that age tough for us!  I think he's mostly an easy-going kid but he's VERY active.  He just now will sit still to even watch tv for 10 minutes (and no more).  Trust me, we watch very little tv but I know many kids can zone out with it, never mine though!  He's getting much, much better though and playing by himself a little bit now.  He can also do some things on his own including most of the potty process/washing hands/putting dirty clothes in the hamper/picking up some toys.  It's getting a lot easier already!  Hang in there but definitely check out at least part-time preschool or mom's morning out.  He'll learn a lot and give you a much-needed break!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMO, you are doing too much.  I would look into a part time sitter or mother's helper to come a few hours during the week so you can have guilt-free time to get your work done and you don't have to do it at midnight.  No one can keep up that schedule long-term.

• Another vote for it depends on the child (and maybe a little bit of girl vs. boy too??) because DD can go/has gone stretches without needing me to play with her for awhile now.  I lot of people have told me ages 3-4 are pretty good once you can get past potty training,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"