Toddlers: 24 Months+

DD calls DH by first name

So this has been going on for a few weeks now. DD calls DH by his first name a good 50% percent of the time when talking to or about him.  I try not to make a big deal, just correct her by repeating what she said and adding "daddy" instead of his name. I know I say his name when talking to him, but always say Dad when talking about him. I want to continue to use his name when talking to him because it just feels weird to call him "Dad".  Lately I feel like she's starting to do it more just to be a stinker. I'm hoping it's just a phase that will end soon bc is breaks DH heart. Anyone else have issues with this? Or suggestions? 

BTW, she always calls me Mommy. Always. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DD calls DH by first name

• It was a phase for us.  Most of the time we refer to each other as mommy and daddy whenever the kids are around but the moment DH taught DD our first names she stopped calling me mommy.  She eventually stopped.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS calls us both honey at times. Because that's what we call each other. It's so funny to hear "Honey!!" across the aisle at Target in a toddler boy voice.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always say 'daddy'. DS hasn't heard DHs real name very many times. It probably a phase. I would just keep correcting her nicely.
  • I always refer to DH as Daddy, not his first name.  Even when I'm talking directly to DH, I'll say "Daddy, can you put the dishes away."  Funny, now that I think about it.

I just wanted to chime in because my step-sister is having this problem with the almost 5 year old daughter (although they don't see it as much of a problem).  She has been calling her parents by their first names since about age 2, and at this point she never uses Mom and Dad.  It drives the grandparents bonkers, as they see it as a sign of direspect. Curb it now so it doesn't get to that point.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • What we used to do with the boy I used to nanny for was pretend we didn't know who he was talking about.  He would refer to his mom by her first name and I would say, "Who, I don't know who you are talking about?."  Then he would correct himself.  It resolved itself pretty fast. 
  • My son calls me by my first name about 20% of the time. H and I just started referring to each other as "Mommy" and "Daddy" when we are around our son hoping that he'll stop. It's really not a big deal to me, though. I usually just say, "Mommy?" when he yells my name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD sometimes calls DH by his first name, too. My mom said I went through a phase where I called my dad Daddy Joe. 

I've never once acknowledged it. More people call DH by his first name than by Daddy, so I can see why she'd want to call him by his name. When her and I talk about DH I call him Daddy, but that's really the most I've done to respond to the situation. I figure it's just a phase.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS goes through phases where he'll call DH "Daddy Nick," "Nick," "Nicky Nick," other random variations.  We never make a big deal about it.  I don't even think he does it to be naughty or rebellious since we've never said he shouldn't use those names.  I am not sure why he does it - DH and I both call each other "Mommy & Daddy" all the time.  I think he gets it from hearing me talking to others about DH.  DS never calls me by my first name, and if someone asks what Mommy's name is, he says "Mommy".
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD1 went through that phase too. It never bothered either of us. In fact, I was glad that she knew our first names in case we ever got separated at a store or someplace.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • DD has called both of us by our first name at time. We refer to each other as mommy and daddy but when I call DH (when he is somewhere else in the house) I call him by his first name. We are also raising our nieces and so the other day she asked me if uncle "DH's first name" was home yet.

I think if you call little attention to it and keep referring to yourselves as mommy and daddy it will likely pass soon. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD1 has been doing this on occasion for the last few months.  She started it with me after we went and picked up an Rx and the clerk said my name.  She quit doing it to me right away, but at least once a week she calls DH by his first name.  We just tell her to call us mommy and daddy.  I'm not worried about it.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"