February 2013 Moms

I'm a crazy mama... (long)

There's no real point to this post but I got to the root of my crazy (some of it any way) and felt like writing it out here. 

Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to put DS down for a nap and then he woke 18 minutes later because he sneezed. It's funny now. :P During the whole ordeal, I was freaking out, grumbling, swearing, the works, and this coming from a woman who said no one was ever allowed to say bad words in front of the baby! Anyway, I lost my cool and was not proud of it. Especially since it was something so stupid as a nap. Really, not the end of the world, I know. 

So I got to thinking about why I got so upset. I really wanted to figure out the reason I was so frustrated and I realized it had to do with my wanting to be the "perfect" mother. (I work at letting go of that notion every day because intellectually I know there is no such thing.) So here's the kooky part. DS is going to daycare in September and the thought of him being a troublesome napper was making me anxious. Why? The reason, I realized is so ridiculous. Because I'm afraid the provider will think I'm a terrible mother because my baby doesn't want to take a nap. As I type that out here, I realize I'm nuts! But the good part is, once I get to the bottom of something like this, I usually can let it go.

And gofigure, this time yesterday I was pulling my hair out and today? DS went down for his afternoon nap in 30 seconds. A couple of forehead rubs and out cold.

Babies really keep you on your toes, huh? 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

Re: I'm a crazy mama... (long)

• If it makes you feel any better i've been like that off and on since last week.  She has been fighting every bottle and every nap and I totally lost my cool a couple of times.  I'm really glad she can't understand me yet.  
  • I struggle with the "perfect mother" thing too. And the "perfect wife and housekeeper." I always feel like I should be keeping the house cleaner or doing more yard work or something, and then I feel guilty for not playing/interacting with DD when I'm doing other things! No matter what I'm doing I feel guilty for not doing something else. Stupid, since I can't be in two places at one time. This perfectionist, Type A personality can sure be annoying sometimes!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • imagekleigh926:
    I struggle with the "perfect mother" thing too. And the "perfect wife and housekeeper." I always feel like I should be keeping the house cleaner or doing more yard work or something, and then I feel guilty for not playing/interacting with DD when I'm doing other things! No matter what I'm doing I feel guilty for not doing something else. Stupid, since I can't be in two places at one time. This perfectionist, Type A personality can sure be annoying sometimes!

I don't consider myself Type A, but I relate 100% to the bolded. Even pre-kids. I have struggled with guilt issues my whole life.

Drea, ITA with your reasoning for getting frustrated. I'm the same exact way. I feel like it's my fault when something doesn't go perfectly, when in reality, babies (and cats, lol) are unpredictable. And that's completely ok. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • There has been more than one occasion that I have grumbled choice words to the universe for seemingly trivial parenting issues. One time being this morning when I heard DS wide awake at 5 a.m. I also put pressure on myself to be all things at all times. The worst is when I put DS down for the night. That is the most amount of time I have to get things done all day because of his crazy short naps, and most often, I just don't feel like it. I'm tired and just want more than 30 minutes to do things I want to do, not have to do. It's so easy to play the comparison game when it comes to motherhood, too. But I heard a quote the other day that I loved: Don't compare your bloopers to someone else's highlight reel. When I see/read about other people's babies STTN, or taking great naps, or any of the other areas where I feel like I'm doing something to fall short, I try to remember that.
  • You ladies are so wonderful. It is such a nice feeling to come on here, pour your heart out and have people support you and empathize. I truly appreciate all of your responses. Thanks so much and hope you all have a terrific evening!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I lose my cool over naps pretty much every day. I keep wondering how my parenting skills can suck so much that I can't get my baby to sleep for more than 2 seconds at a time. In fact, I blame myself for everything that goes "wrong" with DS. This drives my hubby nuts! 
  • Before sleep training I lost my cool a lot. I just wanted everything to go the way I wanted it and with a newborn that obviously doesn't always work out.  Well, it never works outs! lol  Also, I have a serious lack of patience which is something I really need to work on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"