February 2013 Moms

No poop in 6 days

Ok so it's officially the 6th day since my EBF dd last pooped! I am completely freaked out! I know that they say breastfed babies can go up to 7 or 10 days, but it just totally creeps me out. I called the pedi today and they said I could give her apple juice diluted with water, which makes me a little nervous. She hasn't started solids yet and I really don't want the first thing she has besides breast milk to be sugary juice. Has anyone done this? What do you think?
They also said at 7 days I needed to do a glycerin suppository. Has anyone done this? Was it a poop explosion afterwards?!
I am probably mostly over reacting, but 6 days is a long time!

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
DS born 6.12.14
#3 due 12.6.16

Re: No poop in 6 days

• Up to 14 days is normal.  She'll poop eventually.  I did give DS1 some Gerber prune juice @ this age (no added sugar), just about a 1/2 oz, and it did the trick quickly.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sorry, lurker from the SAHM board here, but felt the need to reply.

I think you've been given bad advice. EBF babies very rarely get constipated, so there's no need to give them any sort of juice or suppository, whatsoever. Constipation is not determined by frequency of poops, only stool constistency (it needs to be hard for it to be considered xonstipation).

Since about 3 months, DS started pooping about every 5 or 6 days, no issues, it was always liquidy. Our pedi said it was nothing to be worried about.

The longest he's gone is 12 days, after which he had a major poosplosion, and again, still liquidy. I had called the infant line about that one and was told as long as he's eating normally, has lots of wet diapers, and doesn't seem to be in any pain, that he's fine, and to just wait it out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't stress. My first son had surgery at 4 months and was only allowed BM 4 hrs before surgery but could have apple juice 2 hours before. you better believe I gave him a bit of AJ instead of hearing him cry for hours pre-surgery. He didn't develop a liking for sugar due to this (well, he's a teen now, and doesn't exactly like healthy food but that's a different story).

Plus, he didn't poop for 4 days post surgery so they told us to give him an ounce of two of prune juice or a little pureed prunes...um...giant poop explosion in the parking lot.  I'd be leery going with prunes, but AJ should be fine. It's not like you are giving LO a donut, or constantly giving juice.  btw,  I happen to not be a big juice proponent generally.  I think it's just sugary calories with some vitamins, it's better to eat the actual fruit than the juice(I'm not talking about babies with this statement). But,the occasional juice to assist with going #2 is great.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would wait it out. My LO went 8 days. Like a PP said, EBF rarely get constipated. They are just using every bit of that breast milk for nutrition. If it gets to be 10 or more then maybe I'd try the apples juice. I wouldn't stress about it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • imageKayLorraine:
    I would wait it out. My LO went 8 days. Like a PP said, EBF rarely get constipated. They are just using every bit of that breast milk for nutrition. If it gets to be 10 or more then maybe I'd try the apples juice. I wouldn't stress about it :)

This, The longest we went was 8 days. Never had to do the juice thing either.  

• I don't think you got bad advice....it was from an MD.....I tend to trust my doctor over the Internet. :)

I EBF and have had 2 times when I was worried about this. The first my DD was clearly uncomfortable. The second she was getting that way. I gave pure apple juice and it worked. The first time I gave .25 ounces at a time for a total of 1 ounce one day and 2 the next. This last time I gave a full ounce before bed.  

If you want to give juice just look for something that is just juice, no other chemicals, etc.  and introduce it gradually.

Good luck! 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Oh, and we only drink water at home so I am not juice happy :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• DD2 has gone a 10 day stretch twice. Pedi said not to worry, and she has never once acted uncomfortable. Her farts are nasty though!!!
  • OP did you get the chance to read my "got poop" thread? I gave DS some Catnip and Fennel and pooped an hour later. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It only becomes a concern when they are clearly uncomfortable.  I've been dealing with this all this week as I had a child who screamed for 3 solid days because he was miserable.  We tried everything under the sun and it wasn't working.  We finally did the glycerin suppository.  It says if nothing happens in an hour, call the doc.  At 50 min. he finally got it out.  I was getting really concerned by this point because he was clearly miserable.  I've had a very happy baby every since it got it out.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"