May 2013 Moms

Coffee and BFing

For those of you that drink coffee and breastfeed, how much coffee do you drink? Do you drink it before/during/after nursing? Has it affected your LOs ability to sleep??

I have been drinking one cup of coffee in the morning and LO doesn't seem to be affected, but I'd love to up it to 2 cups : ....but not if it's going to make LO unnecessarily fussy!

Re: Coffee and BFing

• According to my LC, the caffeine shouldn't affect your BM much- you'd have to drink a lot of it to make a difference. I say go ahead and have that second cup. 

I usually drink a large mug of coffee while mid-day pumping and haven't had any issues. 

She is here! 5-29-13

• There were a couple times where i wondered if my caffeine intake made him more fussy, but it wasnt an every time thing. If i have coffee then i try not to have soda also just to keep caffeine a little lower.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have two cups and iced tea in the afternoon my son takes 2 3 hour sometimes 4 hour naps morning and afternoon. Cheers!
  • I drink two cups a day, spaced several hours apart and haven't had any issues.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yay! You guys are making me very happy!! I read a few things online and I thought it would be OK....but I like to get advice from people currently in similar situations and, unfortunately, most of my friends who have recently had kiddos aren't coffee drinkers....going to brew another cup! :
  • I drink 2 cups and do not notice any change in LO for sleeping. So little goes into the milk you would have to drink probably a whole pot to make your LO wired off caffeine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't handle much caffeine, so I do decaf while pregnant and nursing. I have heard coffee can make reflux worse but barring reflux a cup or two should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was wondering the same thing, I am so excited now!! Yay for that second cup!!
  • KashyKashy member

imagebeckyschell:
    I drink 2 cups and do not notice any change in LO for sleeping. So little goes into the milk you would have to drink probably a whole pot to make your LO wired off caffeine.

I also drink 2 cups a day and have not noticed any change in DS's sleep.  I probably couldn't function through the whole day without that second cup

Augustus David - Born 5/08/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have 1-2 cups in the morning and a cup in the afternoon.

I've never noticed it affect her and I don't really try to time it in any particular way with BFing. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • wjvwjv member
    imageMommaG123:

I have 1-2 cups in the morning and a cup in the afternoon.

I've never noticed it affect her and I don't really try to time it in any particular way with BFing. 

This is me too

Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I drink 1 cup in the AM after her morning feed. I do a second cup if it was a long night so I can chase my 21 month old around all day. If its a really bad day, I have an iced coffee in afternoon. I do try to time it for after her feeds, but not sure it matters. My LO is an awesome sleeper despite my caffeine addiction.
  • I drink a small cup every day. I probably wouldn't function w/o it!  I haven't noticed any issues w/ LO not sleeping.
  • krwactkrwact member
    I would dearly love a cup or two of coffee or caffeinated tea in the morning but I'm keeping it out bc of reflux.  Between this and dairy, I'm missing out!  I'd guess for the majority of moms and babies, it wouldn't be an issue. 
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I just make sure to give LO her gas drops when I feed after drinking coffee, I've noticed it can make her more gassy/fussy.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"