Natural Birth

Water birth at home - Recommendations?

Hi all!

My husband and I have just started ttc our first.  We have researched and know of several people who have had natural births, and a few who have had home births.  I know I want a home birth attended by  a midwife, and the midwife that I believe I will use does not have a birthing pool of her own.  Due to all the benefits that a pool can have, I know I want to have access to one during my labor.  My question is this: has anyone purchased their own birthing pool, or even just used one that they used during labor?  What did you end up appreciating most?  Where did you look to find one, etc. and lastly, was there a certain brand you used or liked best?  I have looked at things on several sites and was just wondering what you ladies thought.  Thank you in advance!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
BFP #1 - July 28, 2013.
EDD: April 9, 2014

Re: Water birth at home - Recommendations?

• We used the kiddie pool that my MW recommended for A.'s birth. It was wonderful. I can't wait to use it for LO3. It's the fish one that gets recommended here. It's this one (or one very similar): https://www.amazon.com/60-x-22-Aquarium-Pool/dp/B000O1F20I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1229449621&sr=8-8&tag=vglnk-c2266-20 (sorry can't make clicky). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not much help but I wanted to suggest lurking the mothering.com forum. They have a lot more activity for home births and the search function works well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a home water birth in April but the pool was provided by our doula. I would google birth pool rentals in your area and call around to find one that has a padded bottom, I know mine did. We had the most amazing experience! We would recommend home water births to anyone who is having a low risk pregnancy. 

I think you are making a great decision to have a water birth! The term "aqua-dural" is sometimes used when describing water births. I couldn't imagine having a baby any other way!

Best wishes on your plans for a home water birth!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member

I was suppose to use my midwives tub but with my first baby my labor was only 4 hours and was born at 37 weeks.  37 weeks is when she does her first home visit (prior to that are at her birth center) and she brings all the supplies.  Because it was my first birth we thought we had so much time and I waited until the last minute to call her.  She arrived at our house during transition so I just hopped into our bath tub.  I'm 5'1 and petite and our tub is a garden tub (not a huge spa tub, but wider and deeper than a standard tub).  Honestly it was perfect- I used one of those covers over the overflow drain so I could have a deeper tub.  After the birth I loved it because I just stood up to take a quick rinse off shower.  My 3rd was born in our tub as well.  Not sure if it was her positioning or not but I remember feeling her much more up on my rib cage and wishing I could spread out more.  However, her labor was only 2 hours so I don't have much time to complain so in the end, I was in the tub for maybe 45 minutes and I dealt with it fine.  I wouldn't change it either because again, I can just stand up to rinse off in the shower afterwards.  Also, I love taking relaxing baths from time to time and just laying there remembering all those memories is just special to me.

I have also heard about the kiddie fishy pool and how you can save it for later for the summer months for your tot! 

• *LrCg**LrCg* member

I was suppose to use my midwives tub but with my first baby my labor was only 4 hours and was born at 37 weeks.  37 weeks is when she does her first home visit (prior to that are at her birth center) and she brings all the supplies.  Because it was my first birth we thought we had so much time and I waited until the last minute to call her.  She arrived at our house during transition so I just hopped into our bath tub.  I'm 5'1 and petite and our tub is a garden tub (not a huge spa tub, but wider and deeper than a standard tub).  Honestly it was perfect- I used one of those covers over the overflow drain so I could have a deeper tub.  After the birth I loved it because I just stood up to take a quick rinse off shower.  My 3rd was born in our tub as well.  Not sure if it was her positioning or not but I remember feeling her much more up on my rib cage and wishing I could spread out more.  However, her labor was only 2 hours so I don't have much time to complain so in the end, I was in the tub for maybe 45 minutes and I dealt with it fine.  I wouldn't change it either because again, I can just stand up to rinse off in the shower afterwards.  Also, I love taking relaxing baths from time to time and just laying there remembering all those memories is just special to me.

I have also heard about the kiddie fishy pool and how you can save it for later for the summer months for your tot! 

• I bought the birth pool in a box, the larger tub. I loved it and was SO grateful that I got the bigger one. I got it in case I wanted Spouse to get in the water with me- which I ended up not wanting at all. BUT I was thinking to myself how great it was to have so much space to spread out and stretch my legs and float and how cramped it would have been with him in the tub OR if we had gotten the smaller one. I bought it online at Your Water Birth ... check out the doulas on the side and use one of the codes for a discount (doesn't matter if you are actually using the doula or not! haha). It was the cheapest place I could find it. 

ETA: We decided to buy it because it was the same cost as renting! I found it silly to rent it for so much money when I could keep the tub for the same cost.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"