April 2013 Moms

Summer time.....

Has anyone taken their LO swimming with them? All I've done so far is sat with my LO in a baby pool with only an inch or two of water. But I'm curious if I should wait until next year to introduce a real pool due to the chlorine. Everyone has so many different opinions on this..... Including pediatricians. :

Re: Summer time.....

• none5none5 member
    If the weather clears up, we are going today at my parents house! My pedi said it was fine. I can't wait! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Id love to take her but was told by the Pedi 4 months and no sunscreen till 6 months... so ill probably dip her in ours at the house sometime in august, but later in the evening, she is super fair skinned and cringe at the thought of sun getting to it. Next summer will be a lot of fun, perfect age!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope to get out in the next week or two. The swim clothes I have for him are a little big so they will cover all of his arms and legs, plus I have a hat so hopefully not a lot of exposure to the sun. I am also hoping to find one of those baby floats that have a sun shade / canopy type thing over it. Dunno.... A little nervous but excited to get out. These white legs need some sun! 
  • I would love to but will probably wait till 6 months when I can slather on the sunscreen in addition to the hat/clothes. I will say that I just took my 13 month old niece in the pool... the water was pretty warm but she got cold and shivery really fast! she was having a blast but we took frequent breaks to warm up! I will add too that she is string bean thin, 6th percentile for weight, and my LO is a beluga whale, 76th percentile! Not sure if that will help him regulate his temp, I'll just keep a close eye on him!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Probably not this summer.  My BFF who lives in another state is coming to visit and she really wants to take DD in the pool at their hotel, I just don't feel comfortable with it.
  • My pedi said its fine, just rinse baby really well after. She also feels much better if it is a private pool. Not sure if that is an option though. Have fun! Don't forget a sun hat :
  • We dipped him in the hotel pool for a few minutes on vacation. He liked it! Got some pictures and then took him right to the pool shower. He also liked the shower! He hates the heat though, so I feel like I am watching summer pass by in our living room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • leasajleasaj member
    Took my LO in a friends pool yesterday. Had a hat on her and half of pool was in shade so we went to that side. I held her the whole time and we only stayed in for abt 5 min because the water was a little chilly. They don't use chlorine in the pool so I waited until we got home and gave her a bath here.
  • Today is first time we did..she is almost 3 months..she had a rash guard on and a sun hat so only her legs showed but we weren't out long and when we were done I washed the chlorine off in the tub
  • We started taking LO swimming at about nine weeks, he loves it! We live in ridiculously hot weather so we all swim a lot. I just keep him in the shade and give him a bath after.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elbouelbou member

imageskidderdo:
    I would love to but will probably wait till 6 months when I can slather on the sunscreen in addition to the hat/clothes. I will say that I just took my 13 month old niece in the pool... the water was pretty warm but she got cold and shivery really fast! she was having a blast but we took frequent breaks to warm up! I will add too that she is string bean thin, 6th percentile for weight, and my LO is a beluga whale, 76th percentile! Not sure if that will help him regulate his temp, I'll just keep a close eye on him!

I haven't decided yet if I will take him in a pool this summer or not. I will probably take him swimming in a lake a little later in the summer, and possibly try out the pool around the end of August. I am concerned about the bolded more than the chlorine/lack of sunscreen. If I take the kids swimming, I'm worried he'll freeze by the time I get my older 2 out of the water!

Eta: If it helps you make your decision, I waited until about 6 months with DD1, who was born in Sept and with DD2, who was born in July, I waited until the next summer. She was approx. 10 months)

• I did it the other night. The sun was setting and it was shady. I figured he would scream. There was no reaction, then he started fussing, then crying, so I took him out. It was warm but not as warm as the bath water is so I'm figuring he really isn't going to care for it for quite a while.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • zzbbzzbb member
    My lo loves the bath so we have tried the water at the lakes for a few minutes and he liked it...we also have a swim pass at the local lake and fun park and he likes to get wet in the sprinkler thing which I think is lake water...no issues. We go to disney next month and he will be 4 months so I plan to take him swimming...my pediatrician okayed sunscreen if we couldn't avoid the sun. I think my lo has darker skin than I do...everyone comments so I think he does okay when he is in the sun for just a few minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"