August 2012 Moms

Does this make me a bad person?

I started applying for jobs mid May and nothing was coming of it. One of the main reasons I was applying for jobs is because I was making less than what my bills were. Since nothing was coming of my job applications I sat my boss down and told her that I needed a raise or I would be forced to find another job. She asked me what my bottom dollar amount was and I told her what the least amount of money I needed to make to not be in the red. I was then given that amount as a raise, but no more so I am still just breaking even.

I feel slightly obligated to now stay at my property because of this conversation that I had with my boss. Well, on Tuesday I received an e-mail from a job that I applied for back on June 3rd and they wanted to have an interview today. I went to the interview and it went pretty well. I now feel so much guilt for going on the interview.

Am I crazy that I am feeling guilty?

Re: Does this make me a bad person?

• Yes, you are crazy.

Stick out tongue

Do what you need to do for your family. That's what comes first...not some other woman's feelings.

If this new company offers you a position and a higher salary, go to your current boss with it, tell her that you're putting in your two weeks because this new company is offering x amount, and if she wants to keep you, she'll counter-offer that. If she doesn't then, SAYONARA BIITCHES!

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• professionally - no

personally - kinda ya

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebigbootyjudi:

Yes, you are crazy.

Stick out tongue

Do what you need to do for your family. That's what comes first...not some other woman's feelings.

If this new company offers you a position and a higher salary, go to your current boss with it, tell her that you're putting in your two weeks because this new company is offering x amount, and if she wants to keep you, she'll counter-offer that. If she doesn't then, SAYONARA BIITCHES!

Yup, this. You do what you have to do for yourself and your family. Worrying about your boss' feelings isn't going to help out your family in the way you need. 

imageimage
  • No way does that make you a bad person. If you get an offer and want to go, then go. If you get an offer and it makes you feel better about it, tell your current boss and ask if she will match it. I don't think either way is a wrong way to handle it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I wouldn't feel guilty. Breaking even sucks. You have to be able to pocket sommer money for just in case. Go for what your and your family needs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You shouldn't feel guilt. You did the right thing by talking to your boss and there's no law that you have to stay. You are bettering your life and your family's life by taking the job with more money!

Also, do I remember correctly that you hate your job? Or was that someone else? If your new job is more money and you think you'll be happier there, you should not feel guilty!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJnmac83:
    You shouldn't feel guilt. You did the right thing by talking to your boss and there's no law that you have to stay. You are bettering your life and your family's life by taking the job with more money! Also, do I remember correctly that you hate your job? Or was that someone else? If your new job is more money and you think you'll be happier there, you should not feel guilty!

Nope, that is me. I do hate my job because I can't group and I am stuck with a bunch of idiots on a daily basis. I guess I just feel bad because I feel like me telling them an amount and they met it gave them the impression that I was satisfied. 95% of the decision that I needed a new job was based on the money. The other 5% is because I feel like I am dying a bit inside everytime I wake up knowing I have to walk into this hotel.

• sosophsosoph member
    imagemindymaske:

professionally - no

personally - kinda ya

I don't understand this. It's a professional situation.

If you're worth more to another company, and that business opportunity is more attractive to you, then you should pursue it even if you just got a raise. It's okay to renegotiate with your current boss if you get a new offer. Since they gave you what you asked for, they were probably willing to give you more in the first place. And if not, they can hire someone else at an entry-level salary.

• I can see why you feel that way, and I think the fact that you feel loyalty to your current job is a good thing.  That said, you should NEVER feel bad about seeking to better your professional opportunities, or financial opportunities that would benefit your family.

Do it, sister!

Also, remember that a dude would NEVER think twice about this. 

• Thank you guys for this. I know this is all business and I know I am ultimately replaceable. I just never want to turn into "one of those people" who is looked at as a sneaky business person. I just want to do what is best for my family.

What can I say? I was raised Catholic, we were breed to feel guilty! Wink

• I'd feel guilty too, but at the end of the day you have to do what is best for your family. My DC went to a lot of trouble to get me qualified for DC assistance. When DH comes home we get it for an additional 90 days but after that it's going to be out of our budget. I feel guilty for having to switch but I think our DC owner would understand that we need to be able to pay bills, put food on the table, and keep a roof over our heads.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"