Trouble TTC

Infertility treatment question

So DH and I have been TTC for almost 2 years now with no success. We finally decided to consult our doctor for answers. Good news: DH produces a little more than the average number of healthy sperm! Bad news: my eggs don't fully mature prior to being released for ovulation, thus they are unable to receive DH's abundant little swimmers. Doc has started me on the following regimen to help correct the problem: starting on CD3 I will take Clomid orally for 5 days. On CD9 I will give myself an injection of Gonalf. On CD12 Doc will evaluate my folli growth. Once they are "ripe" I'll be given an injection of Ovidrel prior to IUI. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience good or bad with this regimen of fertility treatment, and how well this therapy has/hasn't worked for you?

Re: Infertility treatment question

• I have not done Gonalf, but have done the Clomid + Ovridrel combo w/IUI.  The Clomid should help produce multiple follies, the Gonalf should help make sure they are the right size, and the Ovridrel should help time things right, so sounds like a good plan for me!  That said, it's really hard to say how effective it may be.  My understanding is that IUI success rates are more based on your diagnosis and age than they are on any particular treatment regimen, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.  As I understand it, best case scenario, IUI will give you about a 15-20% chance of success on any given cycle, but depending on age, Dx, and what # IUI it is, the odds can go down from there.

I hate dwelling on statistics  though - it's easy to get discouraged.  People beat the odds all the time, and I truly hope you are one of them!  This can be a hard journey, so I hope your treatment plan is a successful one!  Best of luck.

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Thanks for the info. It never hurts to have the stats! ; This will be my first cycle of treatment, we are keeping our fingers crossed but trying not to get our hopes up in case it doesn't take.
  • Loading the player...
  • vpinevpine member
    Haven't had that specific regimen but good luck !
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Have you had an HSG?
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• kggMomkggMom member
    May I ask how they found out the issue?  Was it through blood work?

Me:32 DH:33  Married 6/18/05
    Off BC 12/07 BFP 1/08 DD born 8/08 (easy healthy pregnancy)
    Surprise BFP Twins 11/09 1st MC 12/09 back on BC 2/10
    Off BC 6/11,BFP 8/12 MC#2 8/12, BFP 10/12 MC#3 & D&C 12/12
    RE 4/13, Hysteroscopy/tubal cannulation 7/13, Diagnosed:RM                             

BFP 9/13 Our miracle baby EDD May 28, 2014

• I had several panels of blood work done, where they took about 14 vials of blood each time, they did an HSG test to check my fallopian tubes and the position of my uterus, and ultrasounds to visually look at my eggs and uterus throughout my cycle to see the progression of my eggs. On their own, they've never reached the appropriate size, and combined with lack of certain levels of hormones in my blood work, they deduced that my eggs don't reach full maturity before ovulation. Im really anxious to see what my Docs regimen does to correct that issue. Im excited that they found the problem and have come up with a solution, we are trying not to get our hopes up in case it still doesn't work out, but its hard not to...keeping our fingers crossed!
  • Germangirl, Have you had any success with the clomid and ovidrel therapy?
  • imagevpine:
    Haven't had that specific regimen but good luck !

This!! 

• imagebethleean:
    Germangirl, Have you had any success with the clomid and ovidrel therapy?

Hon, if you're looking for success stories you need to go to the pregnant after IF page because all of us here are still struggling.  We have a small handful of women that are TTC#2 that might have done IF treatments for their first child but that's very few women. 

I did two clomid/Ovidrel IUIs, one clomid/Gonal F/Ovidrel IUI and two IUIs using full injects of Follistim.  Only once did I see two lines on a pregnancy test - and that ended in a miscarriage a few days later.  With every story of success you'll hear on PAIF, you'll also hear them say it was their second or third try and there will also be a handful of us over here where that hasn't worked and we're moving on to IVF.  

The road of treatment can be quick for some, and long for others.  Just know this might be your first of a few treatment cycles before you hit the jackpot. 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I have had the same therapy except Folistim instead of Gonalf.  What my RE said was they typically start the doses low to see how you react to the meds.  He said they are afraid if they start to high you will react too well and end up with multiples.  I would have to imagine this is a standard philosophy.  We just finished our first cycle, and the meds did work somewhat, but we did not get a success this month.  I think you have the right attitude, be hopeful but realistic. 

Good Luck!

Ba hahahaha!

Me-30 DH-34
    2002- Diagnosed with PCOS at 18
    10/11-10/12 - tried to conceive naturally with Metformin, due to PCOS never had a cycle
    10/12-12/12 3 cycles of Clomid - fail
    6/13- 1st cycle on Clomid 50mg, Metformin, Follistim, and Ovidrel- BFN
    7/13 2nd cycle on Clomid 50 mg, Metformin, Follistim, and Ovidrel 1st IUI - BFN
    8/13 3rd cycle on Clomid 50 mg, Metformin, Follistim, and Ovidrel 2nd IUI - BFN
    9/13 4th cycle on Clomid 50 mg, Metformin, Follistim, and Ovidrel - Benched with Cysts
    From 12/13 to current I have ovulated 4 times naturally
    Currently on break to get healthy.... 35 pounds down, 13 to go!
    All Are Welcome!!

• imagehope2bmom83:
    I have had the same therapy except Folistim instead of Gonalf.nbsp; What my RE said was they typically start the doses low to see how you react to the meds.nbsp; He said they are afraid if they start to high you will react too well and end up with multiples.nbsp; I would have to imagine this is a standard philosophy.nbsp; We just finished our first cycle, and the meds did work somewhat, but we did not get a success this month.nbsp; I think you have the rightwing attitude, be hopeful but realistic.nbsp; Good Luck!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just so its clear, im not just looking for success stories, I wanna hear the good the bad and the ugly! I want to realistically know, or at least have a better idea of what im looking at here. Weather it be success, failed attempts, side effects, etc. I wanna hear it all.
  • imagekatib77:

imagebethleean:
    Germangirl, Have you had any success with the clomid and ovidrel therapy?

Hon, if you're looking for success stories you need to go to the pregnant after IF page because all of us here are still struggling.  We have a small handful of women that are TTC#2 that might have done IF treatments for their first child but that's very few women. 

I did two clomid/Ovidrel IUIs, one clomid/Gonal F/Ovidrel IUI and two IUIs using full injects of Follistim.  Only once did I see two lines on a pregnancy test - and that ended in a miscarriage a few days later.  With every story of success you'll hear on PAIF, you'll also hear them say it was their second or third try and there will also be a handful of us over here where that hasn't worked and we're moving on to IVF.  

The road of treatment can be quick for some, and long for others.  Just know this might be your first of a few treatment cycles before you hit the jackpot. 

Well I never thought I'd "hit the jackpot" on the first try! This is obviously my first cycle of treatment, and I just want to know, from women with experience on these treatments, all the ups and downs of them. If I wanted only success stories id only post on the success after IF boards. Im a bit scared of how the treatment will go, and although ive been told most of the sever side effects are few and far between, the possibility that it could happen worries me. But after two years of trying on our own to conceive, DH and I will do anything at this point to add a bundle of joy to our lives and start a family!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"