August 2012 Moms

UO Thursday

I'm up early ... let's get this party started!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UO Thursday

• I think it's disrespectful to not call your aunt and uncle, aunt and uncle. My cousin is 5 years younger than my mom so I get why she doesn't, but it really bugs me when my younger cousins don't.

• imagemlynne37wiu:
    I think smash cakes are a fun idea for baby's first birthday, but I think it's gross when it's a sugar drenched bakery cake. I don't even feel good sometimes after a piece of cake because of all the sugar, so I can't imagine being a baby and shoving a ton of sugar into my system. I found a non sugar cake recipe online and that's what I'm using for DD. Does that make me sound all holier than thou because that's what I'm going for [kidding].

Wow, that is actually a great idea!  I am embarrassed to say that this has never crossed my mind.  I don't eat sugar, and if I happen to do so it is always a shock to my system.  Our poor babies!

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Loading the player...
  • imagemlynne37wiu:
    I think smash cakes are a fun idea for baby's first birthday, but I think it's gross when it's a sugar drenched bakery cake. I don't even feel good sometimes after a piece of cake because of all the sugar, so I can't imagine being a baby and shoving a ton of sugar into my system. I found a non sugar cake recipe online and that's what I'm using for DD. Does that make me sound all holier than thou because that's what I'm going for [kidding].

Fun sponge! Fun sponge!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't like it when people wear fake glasses for a "fashion". I think it looks dumb and I'll never see glasses as just a fashion accessory, as I have to wear either glasses or contacts all the time. I used to wear fake glasses...when I was like 6.
  • imageManda-Kay:
    I think it's disrespectful to not call your aunt and uncle, aunt and uncle. My cousin is 5 years younger than my mom so I get why she doesn't, but it really bugs me when my younger cousins don't.

DH was raised to do this, I was not.  Our kids say "uncle" or "auntie" before my brothers or SIL's names, and I do agree it is way more respectful.  It bugs me when my nephew just uses my first name (but again, that is how my brother was raised, so he's just teaching his kid the same thing).

Sorry, for just commenting, I'll try to think of my own OU! :)

• Along the cake theme. I think canned icing is disgusting, so are boxed cakes, the canned icing is more gross than the boxed cake though. The cans are just too sweet that there is no flavour and there is something quite off with the texture. I will always home bake. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Well apparently liking sweets is a UO so I'll go with that today. Lol. Birthday cake is my absolute favorite type of cake, especially with whipped icing. Yes, please!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSpruceGrouse:
    Along the cake theme. I think canned icing is disgusting, so are boxed cakes, the canned icing is more gross than the boxed cake though. The cans are just too sweet that there is no flavour and there is something quite off with the texture. I will always home bake.nbsp;

I wish there was a love button! I gag just thinking of canned frosting! I do have a weakness for Dr. Oetker organic pudding mix but all it has in it is sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. It's almost like homemade just easy for a fix.

Howell's cake will have some sugar but I'm thinking banana cake so it'll be less sweet but it'll still be a cake. It'll be the same cake I offer everyone else.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    Along the cake theme. I think canned icing is disgusting, so are boxed cakes, the canned icing is more gross than the boxed cake though. The cans are just too sweet that there is no flavour and there is something quite off with the texture. I will always home bake.nbsp;
    I wish there was a love button! I gag just thinking of canned frosting! I do have a weakness for Dr. Oetker organic pudding mix but all it has in it is sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. It's almost like homemade just easy for a fix. Howell's cake will have some sugar but I'm thinking banana cake so it'll be less sweet but it'll still be a cake. It'll be the same cake I offer everyone else.
    haha, I was thinking of banana cake for Richard! I think it will be a flavour he will like as well as others.
  • I don't think turtles are that slow. Some of those suckers are pretty fast.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageks3pink:
    Well apparently liking sweets is a UO so I'll go with that today. Lol. Birthday cake is my absolute favorite type of cake, especially with whipped icing. Yes, please!
    oh I love sweets! I guess I am just picky about what sweets I love. Cake is one of my favourites, or brownies.
  • My UO is I think it is so rude for owners of "friendly" dogs to allow their dogs to put their noses in my kid's face and when they see my look of annoyance to just say, "Oh, it's okay; he's friendly." No, dude, I don't know you and don't trust an animal I don't personally know, who can't talk, I might add.

What if the dog saw my kid as a threat? What if he grabbed your dog's ears and bit them? Would your dog continue to be "friendly" then? If the etiquette is that I have to ask before petting your dog, you most certainly have to ask before introducing your dog to my kid. And I'll probably say no.

ETA: this is by no means an anti dog post. Howell loves MIL's dog and we let them play together but we know him and he knows Howell. We are actually thinking of getting a dog...we just plan to be more polite about it.

• imageWhittyone12:
    I don't think turtles are that slow. Some of those suckers are pretty fast.
    This is so cute! I have a love of anything herpetology related! If you ever try to rescue a snapping turtle from the road, it is scary how fast they snap.
  • imageks3pink:
    Well apparently liking sweets is a UO so I'll go with that today. Lol. Birthday cake is my absolute favorite type of cake, especially with whipped icing. Yes, please!

If liking cake is wrong I don't want to be right. I have started keeping cake or cupcakes in my house all of the time. I love it.

My uo is that even as a FTM I am really laid back with DS. He gets into stuff all the time. As long as it isn't choking hazard or too sharp I usually let him go on about making whatever it is a chew thing.
    imageimage
  • imageSpruceGrouse:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:

I wish there was a love button! I gag just thinking of canned frosting! I do have a weakness for Dr. Oetker organic pudding mix but all it has in it is sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. It's almost like homemade just easy for a fix.

Howell's cake will have some sugar but I'm thinking banana cake so it'll be less sweet but it'll still be a cake. It'll be the same cake I offer everyone else.
    haha, I was thinking of banana cake for Richard! I think it will be a flavour he will like as well as others.

The past two mornings Howie had healthier banana bread with cream cheese for breakfast. Banana cake and cream cheese icing isn't too far off.

• imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    I wish there was a love button! I gag just thinking of canned frosting! I do have a weakness for Dr. Oetker organic pudding mix but all it has in it is sugar, cornstarch, salt and cocoa powder. It's almost like homemade just easy for a fix. Howell's cake will have some sugar but I'm thinking banana cake so it'll be less sweet but it'll still be a cake. It'll be the same cake I offer everyone else.
    The past two mornings Howie had healthier banana bread with cream cheese for breakfast. Banana cake and cream cheese icing isn't too far off.
    I was thinking cream cheese icing also, I haven't made R banana bread yet but that is a good idea for breakfast, I could try to do a wholemeal sugar free one.
  • imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    Have you guys ever tried The Pioneer Woman's "That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had?" It is so good - I can't even describe it. It is like a buttercream, but not quite. There is flour in it, which is really weird, but I think that is what gives it such great texture. https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

• imagegracie__r:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:

Have you guys ever tried The Pioneer Woman's "That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had?" It is so good - I can't even describe it. It is like a buttercream, but not quite. There is flour in it, which is really weird, but I think that is what gives it such great texture.

https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

Is it like magnolia bakery's? Theirs has flour in it too. Every time I'm back on Chicago or in New York, I require a cupcake from there. I've never made it but it's so good.

• imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageSpruceGrouse:

I STILL want this banana bread you speak of !!! Soooooo bad !!!

photo happy4th_zps32a39228.jpg

• imagenatalie8784:

My UO requires a slight back story:  My cousin and her BF moved in together last week.  They are not married, and she is either constantly posting FB statues about how much she loves him, or how annoyed she is with him.  Since they moved in together I can count 4 separate statuses where she has complained about living on her own, their relationship is different and feels "off" now yadayada.  The other day she posted how she wanted to go to a baseball game but was mad she couldn't eat the hotdogs/beer/peanuts.  Her BF is way, way into bodybuilding and lost like 150lbs (he looks great!) so he is a health nut and makes them take healthy snacks places.  She also works out with him and is getting into that lifestyle too. She was angry because she didnt have enough money to buy junk food.  (perhaps you shouldn't have moved out?!)

Her dad, my uncle, said they are hosting a "moved in together shower" for them.  Please provide them with a crockpot, curtains, dishtowels...etc.   She reposted it with a HUGE list of things they need, including batteries, and just in case you don't want to get a gift, they are open to cards with cash in them.  Seriously.

You deserve a cupcake (sweet, or unsweet, whatever you prefer;)) if you made to my UO:  I do not think that I should have to provide you a gift for moving in together.  Wedding shower: absolutely.  

Go to garage sales, etc like the rest of us did.  Good grief.  

ETA: I think if they were older, more mature and had bought a house or something, I would feel different.   

WTF.  A moved in together shower?  I swear, people amaze me every day.

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like titles like feminist, pro choice, pro life, liberal, conservative. I feel like very few people fall into the classic definitions of these things, so it creates unnecessary conflict, and fosters an us vs them attitude.
  • imagejessalynn521:
    imageks3pink:

If liking cake is wrong I don't want to be right. I have started keeping cake or cupcakes in my house all of the time. I love it.

My uo is that even as a FTM I am really laid back with DS. He gets into stuff all the time. As long as it isn't choking hazard or too sharp I usually let him go on about making whatever it is a chew thing.
    I let ds free roam the house, just about. I don't babyproof [I did move the cleaning stuff to a higher cabinet in the kitchen, and close the bathroom door, though].

Eta: I have a friend who STILL sanitizes everything for her 7 month old. She won't let her inside dogs around the him, still makes people sanitize their hands before touching him, cleans all his toys every other day, she replaced the carpet in her living room with hard wood because it's cleaner, she flips when her kid gets a hold of anything she hadn't cleaned [shoes, the remote, etc]. It's really obsessive; and seems like a miserable way to raise your kid. She can't do this forever!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWhittyone12:

This is the best ever. You win the internets today.

• imageSaltylove:
    imagemlynne37wiu:

Meh. We might use that recipe because it is dairy free, but eating a bit of sugary cake one time is NBD to me. So far DD hasn't had anything remotely bad for her [the worst thing she's had was a nibble of my muffin yesterday], but at one I doubt they eat enough of the cake for it to be an issue. No flames here, but were we not dealing with a dairy issue, she'd be getting regular cake.

I agree. Moderation is the ticket.

• imageBaker_Bride:
    My UO is I think it is so rude for owners of "friendly" dogs to allow their dogs to put their noses in my kid's face and when they see my look of annoyance to just say, "Oh, it's okay; he's friendly." No, dude, I don't know you and don't trust an animal I don't personally know, who can't talk, I might add. What if the dog saw my kid as a threat? What if he grabbed your dog's ears and bit them? Would your dog continue to be "friendly" then? If the etiquette is that I have to ask before petting your dog, you most certainly have to ask before introducing your dog to my kid. And I'll probably say no. ETA: this is by no means an anti dog post. Howell loves MIL's dog and we let them play together but we know him and he knows Howell. We are actually thinking of getting a dog...we just plan to be more polite about it.

I totally agree. My dog is not friendly to strangers 99% of the time.  So if I have guests or anyone over, he goes to my parents house. I'm not risking any chance with a baby.  Even if he was well behaved, I wouldn't risk it with someone else's child!

• I'm glad my oldest has a job now but, I still haven't fully boarded the fully trustworthy train with him.

Since he's still underage and I know his boss man personally, I'm having his paychecks directly deposited into a joint savings account in both our names. He'll be able to take out money inside the bank whenever he wishes. The only reason I want it joint is just so I can monitor the account.

He's more man than he is boy, I understand that but, I don't want something that is meant to be positive turn into something that can just enable him back into the world of drugs and alcohol.

My Mom says I'm crazy and I'm killing his autonomy but, I think baby steps is the way to go here. He wrote a budget, giving 10 percent to charity, 30 percent to save for a car and spending the other 60 percent. He has good goals and he is the one who can achieve them or miss them.

I guess my UO on this is that, a job is a privilege I feel like a kid should have to earn with good behavior. Them keeping that job should also has the same guidelines.

God, I hope I'm doing the right thing with all of this : /

• imageSaltylove:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageWhittyone12:

This is the best ever. You win the internets today.

I concur. They're also mean! I got bitten by my cousin's pet turtle as a kid. Turtles can be azzholes. Fast, biting azzholes.
    Eta: did I miss an innuendo here and just make myself look like an idiot?!

No innuendo I turned on dinosaur train for Keith while I was pumping and they were talking about how slow turtles are and I think that's bullsh!t. Clearly he has never been attacked by a snapping turtle.
  • imagemelmarie26:
    I'm glad my oldest has a job now but, I still haven't fully boarded the fully trustworthy train with him.

Since he's still underage and I know his boss man personally, I'm having his paychecks directly deposited into a joint savings account in both our names. He'll be able to take out money inside the bank whenever he wishes. The only reason I want it joint is just so I can monitor the account.

He's more man than he is boy, I understand that but, I don't want something that is meant to be positive turn into something that can just enable him back into the world of drugs and alcohol.

My Mom says I'm crazy and I'm killing his autonomy but, I think baby steps is the way to go here. He wrote a budget, giving 10 percent to charity, 30 percent to save for a car and spending the other 60 percent. He has good goals and he is the one who can achieve them or miss them.

I guess my UO on this is that, a job is a privilege I feel like a kid should have to earn with good behavior. Them keeping that job should also has the same guidelines.

He's so lucky to have you as his Mom!

• imageBaker_Bride:
    My UO is I think it is so rude for owners of "friendly" dogs to allow their dogs to put their noses in my kid's face and when they see my look of annoyance to just say, "Oh, it's okay; he's friendly." No, dude, I don't know you and don't trust an animal I don't personally know, who can't talk, I might add. What if the dog saw my kid as a threat? What if he grabbed your dog's ears and bit them? Would your dog continue to be "friendly" then? If the etiquette is that I have to ask before petting your dog, you most certainly have to ask before introducing your dog to my kid. And I'll probably say no. ETA: this is by no means an anti dog post. Howell loves MIL's dog and we let them play together but we know him and he knows Howell. We are actually thinking of getting a dog...we just plan to be more polite about it.

Along this same vein, I hate it when we're walking our dog (who frightens easily) and people let their dog run up to her. When we try to keep them a part, they inevitably say "our dog's harmless". Um, mine's not always harmless. She's going to eat your dog in front of my infant and probably hurt my husband as he pulls her off it's carcass and you scream in horror. Put your dog on a leash!

• imageBaker_Bride:
    imagemelmarie26:

Hey, thanks for making me cry before I put on my mascara!

Seriously, thank you Baker. I wonder if I'm good enough sometimes. I am scared to death, double guessing myself everyday, I pray a lot.

These teenage years carry the most stress and the most rewards.

He hugged me yesterday and told me, "Thank you for putting up with me"

:: sniff ::

• imagegracie__r:

Have you guys ever tried The Pioneer Woman's "That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had?" It is so good I can't even describe it. It is like a buttercream, but not quite. There is flour in it, which is really weird, but I think that is what gives it such great texture.

My Grandma makes this frosting whenever she makes cakes. It is sooooo good and not too sweet!

My UO is that I feel bad for Paula Deen. She made a several mistakes including the plantation wedding plan and using the N word in the past. She seems to have been put through a lot. Why is it "okay" for that word to be used in some genres of music? Shouldn't it be bad no matter who is using it? I think the same thing about other derogatory words; the r word, the f word...they are bad, no one should use them.
  • imagemelmarie26:
    I'm glad my oldest has a job now but, I still haven't fully boarded the fully trustworthy train with him. Since he's still underage and I know his boss man personally, I'm having his paychecks directly deposited into a joint savings account in both our names. He'll be able to take out money inside the bank whenever he wishes. The only reason I want it joint is just so I can monitor the account. He's more man than he is boy, I understand that but, I don't want something that is meant to be positive turn into something that can just enable him back into the world of drugs and alcohol. My Mom says I'm crazy and I'm killing his autonomy but, I think baby steps is the way to go here. He wrote a budget, giving 10 percent to charity, 30 percent to save for a car and spending the other 60 percent. He has good goals and he is the one who can achieve them or miss them. I guess my UO on this is that, a job is a privilege I feel like a kid should have to earn with good behavior. Them keeping that job should also has the same guidelines. God, I hope I'm doing the right thing with all of this : /

Again, if this is wrong I don't want to be right... My parents always had their name on my checking. They knew when money went in and came out. It really can prevent a lot. I don't feel they killed my autonomy either. I turned out perfectly fine. Your boy will appreciate it one day if he doesn't already. 

imageimage
  • imagemelmarie26:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imagemelmarie26:
    Hey, thanks for making me cry before I put on my mascara! Seriously, thank you Baker. I wonder if I'm good enough sometimes. I am scared to death, double guessing myself everyday, I pray a lot. These teenage years carry the most stress and the most rewards. He hugged me yesterday and told me, "Thank you for putting up with me" :: sniff ::

He darn well better than you when he's grown up! That's all I gotta say. I don't know what I will do when Howell is a teenager. I highly doubt Aug12 will be thriving then. I may have to stalk you for tips!

• One thing that may or may not be uo. I don't really buy the "product of your upbringing" excuse as valid for saying things and not making sincere apologies. I have seen several stars in regards to the Paula Deen thing use the excuse for her that She is a product of her upbringing. I get that, but it seems like it would turn into a never ending cycle if we just excused inexcusable behavior because of that over and over.

I got into an argument with FIL and MIL about this this week. They are both people who were raised saying the "N" word and still do on occasion. I still cringe every time I hear it. They tried to tell me this week that it was okay "because they call us crackers". I didn't even know how to respond... A word that was used to degrade an entire race of people for so long is not the same as cracker. I am really sad that I feel they will never see the error in their thinking. That got a little off base. I just feel like using the upbringing as an excuse and not being able to give what seems like a sincere apology is wrong. 

edited added quotes 

imageimage
  • I think its sad that so many married woman make a big deal about keeping their maiden name.  I WANTED to take my DH's name and have our children have the same last name too.   The only time it really makes sense to me is when they already have children and want to keep their name the same as theirs.  Otherwise I think they are overdoing it with the feminism or too lazy to go through the paperwork.
  • imagejessalynn521:
    One thing that may or may not be uo. I don't really buy the "product of your upbringing" excuse as valid for saying things and not making sincere apologies. I have seen several stars in regards to the Paula Deen thing use the excuse for her that She is a product of her upbringing. I get that, but it seems like it would turn into a never ending cycle if we just excused inexcusable behavior because of that over and over.I got into an argument with FIL and MIL about this this week. They are both people who were raised saying the "N" word and still do on occasion. I still cringe every time I hear it. They tried to tell me this week that it was okay "because they call us crackers". I didn't even know how to respond... A word that was used to degrade an entire race of people for so long is not the same as cracker. I am really sad that I feel they will never see the error in their thinking. That got a little off base. I just feel like using the upbringing as an excuse and not being able to give what seems like a sincere apology is wrong.nbsp;edited added quotesnbsp;

ITA. My mom was a victim of abuse when she was younger. Her upbringing sucked. She made a choice to not have my sister and I ever endure what she did. Everybody has a choice to change and not repeat the cycle.

• imagejuniper75:
    I think its sad that so many married woman make a big deal about keeping their maiden name.nbsp; I WANTED to take my DH's name and have our children have the same last name too.nbsp;nbsp; The only time it really makes sense to me is when they already have children and want to keep their name the same as theirs.nbsp; Otherwise I think they are overdoing it with the feminism or too lazy to go through the paperwork.

That tradition started because you literally became your husband's property and therefore took his name. Fiance is derived from the same root as finance because it was about who had the money. You can say you don't prefer it for yourself but to call me lazy or over the top feminist is highly offensive. My H told me he wanted me to keep my identity. What does that say about him? That's what mattered in my family but I'm not going to say it's "sad" you wanted to take your H's name because you were clearly hellbent on becoming another's property. That's not what I think. And I wouldn't say so if I did because it's such a personal choice that has no bearing on anyone else that I couldn't give twoshits what you did about your name.

• imagemelmarie26:
    I'm glad my oldest has a job now but, I still haven't fully boarded the fully trustworthy train with him.

I'm so glad to hear things are going in the right direction. My friend has been been having the same trouble alcohol and drugs with her SS. They think the same as you do with the job thing. I think it sounds like you're doing the right things. My friend is terrified because she feels like she only has another year to help him before he is a legal adult.
    ETA I just want to clarify or make sure my point came across the right way. I think you are an amazing mom and are doing such great things for him! A lot of people would have taken the easy way out and just given up or turned a blind eye to the problems.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • imagejuniper75:
    I think its sad that so many married woman make a big deal about keeping their maiden name.nbsp; I WANTED to take my DH's name and have our children have the same last name too.nbsp;nbsp; The only time it really makes sense to me is when they already have children and want to keep their name the same as theirs.nbsp; Otherwise I think they are overdoing it with the feminism or too lazy to go through the paperwork.

I added DHs last name to my name. It is not hyphenated. My Dad passed away from cancer 9 months after my wedding. He only had girls so the name isn't being passed on. I felt that my last name was my connection to my dad.

ETA: I didnt think it was lazy and sad. I just didnt understand why some people don't do it. After reading some of your reasons for not changing your last names, they are similar to mine. I get it now

• imagemelmarie26:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imagemelmarie26:
    Hey, thanks for making me cry before I put on my mascara! Seriously, thank you Baker. I wonder if I'm good enough sometimes. I am scared to death, double guessing myself everyday, I pray a lot. These teenage years carry the most stress and the most rewards. He hugged me yesterday and told me, "Thank you for putting up with me" :: sniff ::

I totally agree with Baker. You are doing so right by your son, Mel. You are teaching him boundaries and responsibility. I love that you are designating 10% to charity. What a great gift to teach a young man the value of being charitable. You are an awesome mom and I often look to your posts for inspiration. You should be so proud of yourself.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"