August 2012 Moms

what extracirculars you hope your lo will do

Sfm: what extracirculars you hope your kids will do

I've always wanted be a cheer mom since I found out I had a girl. Thankfully she loves to cheer. I love everything about cheerleading.
Band was a hope for hubs and Nene has made her own sheet music for 'Mary had a little lamb'. So he has that.

I never knew about the TAG program so that's a new one to add that hopefully Amir will join in as well

Boys are automatically football. I don't even like football but that's something I want him to at part try for a few yrs. As well as band, hopefully a sax player like his daddy and uncle.

What are y'alls?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what extracirculars you hope your lo will do

• I would like him to play the piano and fence.  I loved fencing, but have been too sick to pursue it since I was a teenager.  His dad will have him playing soccer, for sure, and probably track, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Band [6 year clarinet player, baby!], and Theatre [I was a Thespian!]. H is also hoping for band. H and I were never really into any sports as kids.

Watch ds be complete opposite, and play every sport possible. Lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • amaiteamaite member

Football is one of the ones that I DON'T want him to do. Too dangerous!

Tee ball, maybe track or swimming? It will depend on his cardiac status. His cardiologist says that usually there are no sport restrictions, but some other families I've met have had to avoid having their child play contact sports. I would like to say that I want him to participate in whatever he wants to participate in, but I hope that he won't pick anything too dangerous.

• imageamaite:
    Football is one of the ones that I DON'T want him to do. Too dangerous! Tee ball, maybe track or swimming? It will depend on his cardiac status. His cardiologist says that usually there are no sport restrictions, but some other families I've met have had to avoid having their child play contact sports. I would like to say that I want him to participate in whatever he wants to participate in, but I hope that he won't pick anything too dangerous.

I don't like the danger b factor of football either but I like the discipline that you get as well as physical fitness. I'm just a contradictory lol
  • Music of some kind (band, orchestra, or just piano lessons) and a sport that's hard to get a concussion from, like swimming or track. I was a huge theater nerd, but I'm hoping it doesn't appeal to her as much because I don't want her to pursue acting as a career. Too many creepy creepers in the industry. :-/

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hope DS and maybe DD play basketball, because DH is a coach and they could go to his summer camps for free, lol. Other than that I don't think I have any preconceived ideas for extracurriculars.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Chloe is going to do ballet and swim lessons (already located over in England!). When she gets old enough to form opinions she can do what she wants but I insist on ballet for a little while because I think the discipline and coordination it teaches you are great!
  • imagemollyxcate:
    Chloe is going to do ballet and swim lessons already located over in England!. When she gets old enough to form opinions she can do what she wants but I insist on ballet for a little while because I think the discipline and coordination it teaches you are great!

If Nene was the slightest bit quiet I would love her to do ballet. But she's not, lol.
  • imagelady_tytah:
    imagemollyxcate:
    Chloe is going to do ballet and swim lessons already located over in England!. When she gets old enough to form opinions she can do what she wants but I insist on ballet for a little while because I think the discipline and coordination it teaches you are great!
    If Nene was the slightest bit quiet I would love her to do ballet. But she's not, lol.

Haha I don't think Chloe will be quiet right away, but she will learn. If she can't figure it out I'll put her in one of those 'play' ballet classes and then have her go into the real one.

• DH and I argue about this all the time. He wants her to play softball and I want her to do swimming and water polo like me. We are half joking but I reeally want her to be a swimmer.

She'll probably end up liking something completely different... Like karate. Whatever makes her happy!
  • I'm excited to see what she's interested in! Ideally, I'd like her to do something artsy/creative, as well as something more physical. I want her to be comfortable swimming. I did soccer and ballet, so we'll see if she likes either of those.
  • Ballet, softball, music, art...
    We plan on exposing her to a wide range of activities so she can decide for herself. As much as I would love to see Mina in ballet, I don't want her to participate for the wrong reasons. I don't want to be that Mom who is living through her child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • football, volleyball, baseball - I'd be okay with soccer and track

• I am learning that my expectations are different for each child. 

Lexie will do any extra activity that you sign her up for. She isn't a rock star at any of them but she enjoys them all. She has done soccer, dance, tball, and swim team. Nonphysical activities she has done are things like Girl Scouts and College for Kids. In the summer here, a large district that I am close to offers a fun program to kids who place high in their standardized testing. It is EXPENSIVE, but we signed her up and she took classes this summer like beginner Spanish, Science ROCK- which was a hands on experiment type of deal every single day- and a dance class. She loved every minute of it!

Logan, however, is a very poor sport. He loves wrestling and soccer.. He hates hates hates tball, he is the reason I always ask before signing them up for anything.

I think Gunnar will be a fantastic ball player. He hits the ball with more consistency than Lexie or Logan, and that is just how it. Is. He wants to do ALL THE THINGS, and that is probably because he has been sitting on the side lines of every sport since he was born.

Carson? I have no idea.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Definitely gymnastics and cheer.  I want to start a baby gymnastics class ASAP.  If I want her to do all star cheer I will have to drive her an hour, but we will probably try it out when she is 4 or 5.  I would start coaching competitive/all star cheer again if I thought there was interest here, but there isn't, unfortunately.

When she hits middle school, she will do band or orchestra.  All the kids here have to pick one of those or choir.  Choir is not an option; that is where all the kids get dumped if their parents don't care enough to support them playing an instrument.  The classes are a mess.  I don't care what instrument she plays, but she is picking one! 

I hope she will NEVER do soccer or serious swimming.  Where we live, swim and soccer are life.  It's too competitive, the teachers show favoritism to soccer players and swimmers, and they are treated like gods.  I did it when I was a kid and had a nervous breakdown about swimming when I was 14.  She's not getting involved with that. 

• imageManda-Kay:
    football, volleyball, baseball - I'd be okay with soccer and track

Um...you're from Indiana so why not basketball?? Wink 

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imagepiphigirl:

Definitely gymnastics and cheer.  I want to start a baby gymnastics class ASAP.  If I want her to do all star cheer I will have to drive her an hour, but we will probably try it out when she is 4 or 5.  I would start coaching competitive/all star cheer again if I thought there was interest here, but there isn't, unfortunately.

When she hits middle school, she will do band or orchestra.  All the kids here have to pick one of those or choir.  Choir is not an option; that is where all the kids get dumped if their parents don't care enough to support them playing an instrument.  The classes are a mess.  I don't care what instrument she plays, but she is picking one! 

I hope she will NEVER do soccer or serious swimming.  Where we live, swim and soccer are life.  It's too competitive, the teachers show favoritism to soccer players and swimmers, and they are treated like gods.  I did it when I was a kid and had a nervous breakdown about swimming when I was 14.  She's not getting involved with that. 

Wow, that makes me a little sad about the choir. Here you can do both if you want to, and I tried band and hated everything about it. I loved choir. Lexie looooooves to sing and I can't imagine telling her that choir just isn't an option. When you kids are iny you really have no idea what their interests will be. Also, I really can't believe you said that about the parents not caring enough to support their kids playing a instrument. That seems pretty narrow minded honestly. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • H really wants him into soccer and jokes about rugby (NOO!!! They don't even wear protective gear! At least in American football, they have gear!)

I want him to swim, do art and music. I also want him to cycle. He doesn't have to do it competitively but we bike everywhere and I want him to get that. I do not want him doing football or wrestling. Too much chance of injury and those water pills they give to wrestlers to get them into a lower weight level are just disgusting.  

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• DD does gymnastics and dance. She hasn't discovered her favorite type of dance yet by is slowly trying them all. I really hope the boys are into football, basketball or baseball. Football would be my first choice. All sports have injury risks so I try no to let my imagination run away with that too much!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would be happy with football or soccer. I tell DH that he will probably want to do baseball, because it is my least favorite sport to watch. My close second is basketball so I am sure he will choose one of those. ;] When he is young I may have him do Boy Scouts too, but really I want him to have a say in his extras.
    imageimage
  • I would love DD to try out gymnastics and dance. I remember wanting to as a kid and my parents would not let me. I don't want to live vicariously through her, but I do want to give her opportunities I was not allowed.

DH would love her to try out soccer since that is his favorite sport. Luckily there will be a chance for her to do that through daycare when she's a bit older!

I would also love if she was somehow involved in music. I don't care if she sings or plays an instrument, but I hope she tries something out! I played violin and trumpet, DH played percussion and piano so we would support her  in choosing band, orchestra, or choir.

I hope she doesn't like basketball...I really hate basketball. 

But really, so long as she gets involved in some activities and tries different things out, I will be happy! 

• I honestly don't care what he chooses, but DH and I have already decided that he MUST have at least one extracurricular at all times, preferably 2 (one sport and one arts). We also plan to say that if you choose something you don't end up liking, you have to finish out the semester or year and then you can choose something else.

Guess we'll see what the reality is like.

DH wrestled and played football. I played soccer and the viola. I don't really want Nolan to play football. I think it's too dangerous. I know DH won't care so I hope Nolan doesn't want to play it.

• I was seriously an ECA WHORE... I play softball, volleyball, cheerleading and track... I was on the scholars bowl team and mathletes. It was ridiculous. I want DS to be into sports, but I hope that he only wants to do 1 or 2. DH says he WILL play Soccer ;)

If I had to change 1 think about my highschool career, I wish I would have chosen to pick one sport and master it. I could  have easily gotten a scholarhship if I would have just concentrated and became good at 1 sport and not tried to master them ALL!

• imageklmcguire:
    I was seriously an ECA WHORE... I play softball, volleyball, cheerleading and track... I was on the scholars bowl team and mathletes. It was ridiculous. I want DS to be into sports, but I hope that he only wants to do 1 or 2. DH says he WILL play Soccer ;If I had to change 1 think about my highschool career, I wish I would have chosen to pick one sport and master it. I couldnbsp; have easily gotten a scholarhship if I would have just concentrated and became good at 1 sport and not tried to master them ALL!

That's what I hope nene does with Cheer and TAG
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"