February 2013 Moms

Babysitter questions

Hi! I recently accepted a part time job, and need to hire a sitter to watch DS one day a week. I have a few interviews lined up, mostly with local moms with older kids.
Do you have any suggestions for questions to ask in the interview process? I am super nervous about leaving him with a non family member.
Also, what is an appropriate hourly rate to pay?
Thanks so much!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Babysitter questions

• As for questions to ask, I'm no real help.. I'm more of the type that would rather watch them interact with my child and see what kind of vibe they have together and that I have with the person caring for my child. 

As far as prices, that's going to vary wildly based on your area. Sitters are $10-20/hour here, but I've heard of some places where that's the going rate for the whole day. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Here is the type of questions I would ask...

What experience do they have?

Any type of training?

What they would do in certain situations?

emergency

rainy day activity

ie give them some questions that they have to come up with a solution              to... So you can see their problem solving skills. 

Have some toys out and see what ones they choose to play with your baby with? Do they know how to play/sing songs and interact? 

And like pp said watch them interact with your child you will know if they are a fit for you guys pretty quickly! 

Edit: Fixed wording 

• Loading the player...
  • ask if they are trained in infant CPR, do they have any experience in watching children other than their own (makes a difference) ask for references (preferably 3). This is YOUR baby they will be watching, you have every right to know. I work at a childcare center so these are some of the questions I was asked. It does depend on your area as to how much to pay them unless they have education in childcare/education I wouldn't pay them anymore than $5 and hour, you are not a business you do not have to pay minimum wage. Besides it's one day a week, it's not like it's their career or anything. imo
    imageimage
    Me:32 DH:33 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image
    Mommy Graphics
  • imagePeanutR1:

imageeegeekwife:
    ask if they are trained in infant CPR, do they have any experience in watching children other than their own (makes a difference) ask for references (preferably 3). This is YOUR baby they will be watching, you have every right to know. I work at a childcare center so these are some of the questions I was asked. It does depend on your area as to how much to pay them unless they have education in childcare/education I wouldn't pay them anymore than $5 and hour, you are not a business you do not have to pay minimum wage. Besides it's one day a week, it's not like it's their career or anything. imo

yikes, I made more than that as a teenage neighborhood babysitter in 1998! 

Seriuosly, that's bonkers! You will Def have to pay more than that! I would just ask what they expect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekat1221:
    imagePeanutR1:

imageeegeekwife:
    ask if they are trained in infant CPR, do they have any experience in watching children other than their own (makes a difference) ask for references (preferably 3). This is YOUR baby they will be watching, you have every right to know. I work at a childcare center so these are some of the questions I was asked. It does depend on your area as to how much to pay them unless they have education in childcare/education I wouldn't pay them anymore than $5 and hour, you are not a business you do not have to pay minimum wage. Besides it's one day a week, it's not like it's their career or anything. imo

yikes, I made more than that as a teenage neighborhood babysitter in 1998! 

Seriuosly, that's bonkers! You will Def have to pay more than that! I would just ask what they expect.

I would definitely pay at least 810 an hour. I haven't babysat in years but I always got at least 8 an hour
  • Thanks ladies! Great suggestions.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"