Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Target formula ?

So in a few wks I'm switching from breast milk to formula. I heard target gentlease is the same ingredients as enfamil. Has anyone tried this? How did your lo do on it?

Re: Target formula ?

• When we went to formula with DS, we switched from Similac Advance to Up & Up version and it was a fine swap. Just look at the Up & Up labels and it'll tell you which name brand its a copy of.

Out of curiosity, are you going directly to the gentle formula for a reason? If your LO hasn't had formula yet, you don't necessarily need to go to the gentle/sensitive kind.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• The pedi recommended it since lo has such gas issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecantwait7:
    The pedi recommended it since lo has such gas issues.

Ahhh yeah, that'll do it. lol But yeah, just look at the tubs and you'll see which one is generic for what. All the ingredients are the same by law. 

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• We used Target formula with our first and will be switching to it soon for our DS2.  All formulas will have comparable nutritional values and like another poster said, they will say which formula they're formulated to match most closely.  That said, the fillers, while all safe, don't have to be the same.  I only say that because for someone switching from say, Enfamil to a "like Enfamil" generic, it's not for sure that the baby will make the switch easily, kwim?  Going from breastmilk to any formula is obviously a change but you already know you aren't going to "match" what baby has been getting so any formula you choose is going to be as good as any other and you'll have to wait and see what your baby tolerates.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• The nurse at the hospita,l who has two kids of her own, told me the Walmart brand of formula is the same exact ingredients as the formula you mentioned.
  • I have used Up & Up with both kids.  I'm currently using their Similac Sensitive but used the Gentleese version with my daughter.  She had no problems with it at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • "a little birdie told me" that UP and Up is actually made by the manufacturers of the brand it is modeled after.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I actually just made the switch to my first tub of Up and Up today, I got the "Enfamil Infant" version.  Took my little man a few gulps to get used to the new taste I think, but other than that, it's been smooth sailing so far (fingers crossed it stays that way!) GL!

• DS1 was supplemented with formula, and we used Up & Up.
  • When you first start, mix breastmilk and formula to help your baby get used to the taste of formula. FWIW, I used Similac Advance that I got as a sample then switched to Target's version and had no problems.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJSS1002:

"a little birdie told me" that UP and Up is actually made by the manufacturers of the brand it is modeled after.

Actually, it's that most generics are made by the same company - PBM.  Brand name formulas are made by the company that owns them, like Enfamil is made by Mead Johnson and Similac is made by Abbott.  Since Target sells formula that is supposed to be like both of those brands, it wouldn't make sense that both parent companies provide their own formula to Target to be used as a generic.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageOhSewCrafty:

Ahhh yeah, that'll do it. lol But yeah, just look at the tubs and you'll see which one is generic for what. All the ingredients are the same by law. 

I thought I had done enough research before LO arrived, he is EFF, and I had planned to use Up & Up to save money.  As someone said above, PBM makes most of the generics and they actually used to be a "name brand" and later succumbed to Enfamil and Similac, let those two duke it out spending millions on marketing, while they took the store brand position.  I have full confidence that their formulas are as good as the counterparts.

That said, since LO's arrival I have done further research and (possibly hastily) changed my opinion.  Ingredients are NOT all the same by law, nutrition is.  As others said, the fillers are different.  Are the differences significant?

I have found two differences that concern me.  First, only Similac (compared to store brand and Enfamil, not sure about Gerber, etc) is free of palm olein and a Google search has many articles pointing to a study that found a significant (35%?) reduction in bone mineral density in babies drinking formula with palm olein.  That is a big number, if accurate.  It may have been a kneejerk reaction, but reading that made me switch from Up & Up back to Similac Advance.

The second difference I found is not by brand, but is common among all - Similac, Enfamil, Up & Up.  The partially hydrolyzed versions - Gentlease, Total Comfort, etc - substitute high fructose corn syrup for sugar.  This one is a little trickier.  I'd avoid the syrup if I had a choice, BUT if your baby needs to broken down formula, you give him what you need.  I just tried Total Comfort for 2 weeks, did not see any significant benefit for my LO (as far as gas and spit up, etc), so I am now switching back to regular Similac Advance.

Hope that helps.  None of this is earth shattering info, but just something you may want to consider. 

• I've never used the target brand formula, but I have heard its pretty good..
  • imageBigPoppa22:
    imageOhSewCrafty:

I thought I had done enough research before LO arrived, he is EFF, and I had planned to use Up & Up to save money.  As someone said above, PBM makes most of the generics and they actually used to be a "name brand" and later succumbed to Enfamil and Similac, let those two duke it out spending millions on marketing, while they took the store brand position.  I have full confidence that their formulas are as good as the counterparts.

That said, since LO's arrival I have done further research and (possibly hastily) changed my opinion.  Ingredients are NOT all the same by law, nutrition is.  As others said, the fillers are different.  Are the differences significant?

I have found two differences that concern me.  First, only Similac (compared to store brand and Enfamil, not sure about Gerber, etc) is free of palm olein and a Google search has many articles pointing to a study that found a significant (35%?) reduction in bone mineral density in babies drinking formula with palm olein.  That is a big number, if accurate.  It may have been a kneejerk reaction, but reading that made me switch from Up & Up back to Similac Advance.

The second difference I found is not by brand, but is common among all - Similac, Enfamil, Up & Up.  The partially hydrolyzed versions - Gentlease, Total Comfort, etc - substitute high fructose corn syrup for sugar.  This one is a little trickier.  I'd avoid the syrup if I had a choice, BUT if your baby needs to broken down formula, you give him what you need.  I just tried Total Comfort for 2 weeks, did not see any significant benefit for my LO (as far as gas and spit up, etc), so I am now switching back to regular Similac Advance.

Hope that helps.  None of this is earth shattering info, but just something you may want to consider. 

My son is on Up&Up Sensitive and doing great! Just thought I'd share that the corn syrup that is in the formula is NOT high fructose, and yes, there is a difference...it replaces some of the lactose which is a milk sugar that is removed from the sensitive formulas...

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"