Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Ferber method?

Ok so here's my question. Sorry for he poor punctuation as I am mobile bumping.
Currently lo sleeps in the rnp swadled with white noise. I put him down drowsy and rock him in that as he is so heavy.We want him in the crib as he is mashing his face against he sides.
My question is if we do the Ferber method do we drop the swaddle as well or do we keep the swaddle and just put him in the crib? We will probably keep the white noise as our neighbor works on cars at all hours of he day and night.
I should also add that lo sleeps basically through the night with maybe 1 feeding a night if that. Also he takes 3 to 4 solid naps a day. Any advise would be appreciated!

photo 7e743566-12ed-490b-ab2b-c02defa0dfc7_zps2f01858c.jpg

Re: Ferber method?

• We started Ferber 4 nights ago and it was the best decision thus far!!! It has worked amazingly for our LO.  Have you read his book? It's definitely helpful... The reason we decided to sleep train was bc I was currently rocking her to sleep and putting her in the RnP.  Every time I tried to transition her to the crib it was an epic fail! She also slept great at night like your LO 7-3 usually then until 6.  We decided to  do crib and let her fall asleep all in one go.  The first night she cried for 20 mins then slept the exact same times she had in the RnP.  That was 4 nights ago, since then, no crying at night.  Naps have also gotten so much better, she was a 30 min cat napper and now that she puts herself to sleep, they last longer.  She still fusses/cries for naps though but never more than 10 mins.  My LO is going to be 5 months on the 30th and I didn't want to wait any longer bc I heard as they get older they become much more aware and its tougher to sleep train.  I see your LO isn't quite 3 months yet, I would maybe try to trasition out of the swaddle first for a couple of weeks.  We kept her in the RnP unswaddled with a sleep sack and waited to see how long she lasted each night.  When she got up we'd swaddle her and each night in got longer until maybe 2 weeks into it, she stopped waking up and no longer needed it.  We also still do white noise due to loud neighbors.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelittlebean4:
    We started Ferber 4 nights ago and it was the best decision thus far!!! It has worked amazingly for our LO.  Have you read his book? It's definitely helpful... The reason we decided to sleep train was bc I was currently rocking her to sleep and putting her in the RnP.  Every time I tried to transition her to the crib it was an epic fail! She also slept great at night like your LO 7-3 usually then until 6.  We decided to  do crib and let her fall asleep all in one go.  The first night she cried for 20 mins then slept the exact same times she had in the RnP.  That was 4 nights ago, since then, no crying at night.  Naps have also gotten so much better, she was a 30 min cat napper and now that she puts herself to sleep, they last longer.  She still fusses/cries for naps though but never more than 10 mins.  My LO is going to be 5 months on the 30th and I didn't want to wait any longer bc I heard as they get older they become much more aware and its tougher to sleep train.  I see your LO isn't quite 3 months yet, I would maybe try to trasition out of the swaddle first for a couple of weeks.  We kept her in the RnP unswaddled with a sleep sack and waited to see how long she lasted each night.  When she got up we'd swaddle her and each night in got longer until maybe 2 weeks into it, she stopped waking up and no longer needed it.  We also still do white noise due to loud neighbors.

I have a post a bit further down about this topic as well

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I saw your post but was unsure about theswaddle situation. He will be 3 months next wednesday and want to transition before it gets more difficult. ROcking him is becoming a chore as he is getting really heavy!

• What book are you using?
  • I have not read the book I just have been reading about it online.

• Read the book If you want to sleep train. 3 months is too young for Ferber.

FYI I'm also on mobile and can still use proper grammar and punctuation.
  • Your son is too young to sleep train. You can transition him to a crib without sleep training. You can still have proper punctuation and spelling on mobile. It's advice, not advise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a13049a13049 member
    imageBettyCo:
    Read the book If you want to sleep train. 3 months is too young for Ferber.

Wow, you deserve an award. Insert eye roll

• imagea13049:
    imageBettyCo:

Oh.
  • imagea13049:
    imageBettyCo:

You took the words right out of my mouth
  • imageBettyCo:

I read his book a month ago and he actually suggests starting as early as 34 months. They adapt better
  • We started sleep training at 8 weeks and LO has done just fine. She's 13 weeks now and can put herself back to sleep at night and has better naps too. It's also made the transition from the swaddle easier we have just started with one arm out. I'd say if you wanna try both at the same time, go for it. You can always go back to swaddling if it becomes unbearable. But I say sleep train now. I think it will be easier.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had to transition DD to her crib three nights ago because she rolled over, and I no longer felt comfortable with her being in her RnP. We also dropped her swaddle then, too. The first night was bad because she kept startling herself awake and was generally just super unhappy in her crib. The next night she slept a 5 and 3.5 stretch. Last night was 6 and 3.5. We're not "sleep training" to get her to sleep all night. We just made her sleep in her crib because that's the safest place for her. I still love getting up with her and snuggling her in the wee hours. You're going to have to transition eventually, so my advice is the sooner the better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would transition sooner rather than later also.  If you want to just do both at the same time, it might be rough at first, but in the end it might be easier. See how your LO does with the transition before doing any sleep training.  LO might be a little young and you have to allow for a few rough nights with the transition. I am in the process of ferberizing my 5 and a half month old and it is going really well, but the reason I had to sleep train was because she was waking up every 1 or 2 hours every night and needed to be rocked back to sleep for 20 or 30 minutes each time,  Started to wear me down.  So I would do the transition and then reevaluate in a month or so and see what you need to do. Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"