Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

First fever at 12 months!

Little miss has her first fever... at 12 months! Whoa! She's had colds before and "off" days but the last 24 hours she's had  a fluctuating temp- between 99.1 and 100.2. I know this isn't a "high" fever but she's still uncomfortable. She doesn't want to eat (except dry cheerios), but no vomiting, and will still take bottles (which she only really has 2 a day now, but she's willingly taking them so I'm going to keep offering... I bet it's comforting to her). We don't let her watch TV but we've been sitting on the couch with her watching Barney, which she is loving :)

I just feel so bad and wish I could take away her discomfort! I know I'm doing the right things I just wish there was a magic wand to make our babies feel better <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: First fever at 12 months!

• imageLadyTurz:
    She's had colds before and "off" days but the last 24 hours she's had nbsp;a fluctuating temp between 99.1 and 100.2. I know this isn't a "high" fever but she's still uncomfortable. lt;3

It actually isn't a fever at all. It's not considered a fever until they reach 100.4. It's normal for a baby's temp to fluctuate up to 100.3.

It does sound like your kiddo doesn't feel well, though. Hope she feels better soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Really!?! That makes me so happy to hear! I mean, clearly she isn't feeling great (and does feel warmer than usual) so I'm still trying to get her to take it easy, but the more I read... you're right. Some consider that temp a low grade fever, some consider it not even a fever at all!

Thank you :) 

• Loading the player...
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

That isn't a fever.  A fever is a temp above 100.4.

ETA: Feel free to give her Motrin/Advil.  I sometime sneak it into yogurt or ice cream if DS won't take it directly.  It will bring down her temp.

To each their own, but a low grade fever serves a purpose. It helps the body fight infection. Our pedi told us a fever triggers certain immune cells to work harder and faster so your LO will get better faster if you let a fever do its job.

If DS has a higher fever we always try a tepid bath first. We have gone through three different fever episodes and two of the three times the tepid bath worked. The last time DS's temp was 104 and I felt more comfortable using Motrin. Personally I wouldn't medicate under 102 degrees unless DS seemed truly miserable.

• imageoliversmommy32912:
    imageHilarityEnsued:

That isn't a fever.  A fever is a temp above 100.4.

ETA: Feel free to give her Motrin/Advil.  I sometime sneak it into yogurt or ice cream if DS won't take it directly.  It will bring down her temp.

To each their own, but a low grade fever serves a purpose. It helps the body fight infection. Our pedi told us a fever triggers certain immune cells to work harder and faster so your LO will get better faster if you let a fever do its job.

I agree! I didn't give her anything because I figured she's warm for a reason. Maybe she's fighting something off, better to let her little body do what it's trying to do. Even if it means less sleep for me!!! 

• imageHilarityEnsued:

Also... some kids run a low temp while teething.  If you give them motrin to make them more comfortable, it's not going to stop their teeth coming in.

But by all means, just let your kid be miserable.

Can you read?

Personally I wouldn't medicate under 102 degrees unless DS seemed truly miserable.

Also, I never said drugs are evil and his body won't fight off infection if I give it to him. I said our pedi told us a fever is there for a reason and helps the immune system fight off the infection faster.

DS has never had a fever with teething so that isn't an issue for us. Like I said, if he was miserable, I would give him Motrin. So no, I don't just let my kid be miserable. I think it's ridiculous to give a child medication for a 100 degree fever just for the sake of bringing down a fever. But my ball means, keep giving your child medication they don't need.
  • OwlCamOwlCam member

OP- this sounds exactly like what is going on with my one year old!! Same symptoms and only eating cheerios. She wants to be held and comforted all day. 

We took her to the doctor's and she has a mild bacterial throat infection. He said, as others on here as well, to just let the fever run its course. It's fighting the infection and actually a good sign that her immune system is functioning!

Hope she feels better soon! 

• imagemericfern:

OP- this sounds exactly like what is going on with my one year old!! Same symptoms and only eating cheerios. She wants to be held and comforted all day. 

We took her to the doctor's and she has a mild bacterial throat infection. He said, as others on here as well, to just let the fever run its course. It's fighting the infection and actually a good sign that her immune system is functioning!

Hope she feels better soon! 

Thank you! Hope your little one is on the mend as well :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"