Adoption

NAR: Supreme Court on DOMA

So, while this isn't directly adoption related, as a queerbo who is legally married in a state that recognizes same sex marriage, I'm thrilled at this decision. Because now it means I don't need to wrestle with two people filing individual "single" federal taxes and trying to figure out which one has the prospective child as a dependent and takes the adoption credit. This is a tremendous TREMENDOUS relief.

Although the SCOTUS voting rights rulings yesterday were reprehensible. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NAR: Supreme Court on DOMA

• I was so excited to hear about this decision!  Equality at its finest!  Can't wait for the day that same sex couples have ALL of the same rights as heterosexual couples.

Maryoosa- Can I ask you a weird question?  I have notice in this post and previous ones that you refer to yourself as queer or queerbo.  For some reason it surprises me each time I see it because I thought this term did not have nice connotation.  Am I wrong about this?  I didn't know if it was a regional thing.  Or if I just had the wrong impression of this term.  

• I was thrilled by today's decision too. Still a long way to go, but this is a huge step. About time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Agreed.   

Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • IRRIRR member
    Lots of friends excited about this ruling. :D

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• I was shocked and thrilled.  Big Smile

Now if only states would recognize these marriages and our married gay friends who've adopted in MI can both be legal parents of their kids...

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• I can only speak for myself, but for me queer is the best descriptor. It's been largely reclaimed by the GLBTQ community and as we seem to add more letters to our alphabet soup it becomes a better way to describe how many of us identify- but it's a personal thing. I also think it's a generational thing. I know many older folks would be mortally offended if they were described as queer.

• imagemaryoosa:

I can only speak for myself, but for me queer is the best descriptor. It's been largely reclaimed by the GLBTQ community and as we seem to add more letters to our alphabet soup it becomes a better way to describe how many of us identify- but it's a personal thing. I also think it's a generational thing. I know many older folks would be mortally offended if they were described as queer.

Thanks so much for this insight.  I had always thought that Q in the GLBTQ should for questioning.  I have done some volunteer work for gay rights and when the Q was being added (this was early on) and that is what I was told.  I'm glad I asked since I didn't know I had the acronym wrong.

• imageSpooko:
    imagemaryoosa:

I can only speak for myself, but for me queer is the best descriptor. It's been largely reclaimed by the GLBTQ community and as we seem to add more letters to our alphabet soup it becomes a better way to describe how many of us identify- but it's a personal thing. I also think it's a generational thing. I know many older folks would be mortally offended if they were described as queer.

Can I chime in with a question then? What's the difference and what makes that word a better descriptor? 

For me? It's that I don't really identify as a lesbian. I'm just simply queer. Lesbian has certain stereotypical connections to it and it's simply not how I see myself. I'm primarily attracted to masculinity, but not to men- my current partner identifies as a non-operative transgendered butch- and my other attractions have largely been to masculine-identified female bodied people. I also find the political agenda of queer is more radical than that of  most lesbian identified folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"