Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

how to put in eye drops?!?

My LO has pink eye and the doctor prescribed antibiotic eye drops.  One eye is worse than the other and this morning I was so proud of myself because I held the worse eye open with one hand and quickly squeezed the eye drops into the eye and got a direct hit!  Once he wised up to what was going on, he would not let me get the other eye.  I ended up putting a drop (it's sort of jelly-textured) on my finger and massaging it into the other eye.  Medicine got in, but it was definitely not as good as with the first eye.  I have to give these to him twice a day, for seven days!  Any tips on how to administer eye drops to a squirmy and determined 16 month old who only wants to escape? 
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: how to put in eye drops?!?

• Is there someone who can help you?  I was just at the eye doctor today and she did eye drops for DD.  Now of course, she is a pro.  But she had me hold DD like a baby and then she used one hand to lift the eyelid and the other to drop the eyedrops in.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So fun isn't it?!  

For my DD (13months) I have strapped her in the infant carseat on the ground and used that to hold her while I dropped them in.

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • I sat on the floor, out his head in my lap, criss crossed my legs over his chest, opened his eye wide with one hand, and put them in. I came in from the top of his head so he couldn't see it coming.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

The pedi told me that if they are closing their eyes, just put a drop on the tear duct area and enough will get in the eye that I shouldn't worry about it.

I was told this as well. Put a drop in the inner corner of their eye and when they open their eye, it will just go in.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I also found it 100x more successful to put the drop in the corner of their eye (near the nose) and wait for them to blink it in....
  • imagepreggersin2011:
    I also found it 100x more successful to put the drop in the corner of their eye (near the nose) and wait for them to blink it in....

I do this with a combined "sneak attack" from coming up above her head when she is laying down. 

• ilanatilanat member
    Thanks everyone. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"