Parenting

Lasik

has anyone had it done?  pros/cons please
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lasik

• H had it done when we were pg and he loves it. There is some additional sensitivity and you may have concerns in bright or low lights at first, but that faded for him. No real cons other than it being costly and not covered by most insurance. Pros - he can see.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• My vision isn't THAT bad.  I def need contacts/glasses to see, but for whatever reason contacts are not going well lately.  The eye dr has given me samples of different kinds, eye drops to try, but still after about 2 hours I want to claw my eyes out
  • Loading the player...
  • DH had it done in 2004?.  It worked really well for him.  He's been better than 20/20 ever since.  His cornea thickness was on the edge of not being able to do lasik and having to do the surgery that's a much longer healing time.  You won't know what type you'll need until your eye doctor does some measurements.  

Lasik was pretty easy for him to heal from.  The procedure was easy, he had about a 1/2 day of lots of eye watering and a sandy feeling in his eyes but not really pain.  By morning he was able to see perfectly.  You can't exert yourself for about a week so it may impact your workouts and you have to wear protective goggles to bed for a few nights to prevent yourself rubbing your eyes inadvertently.  Apparently you can move the flap Tongue Tied But after about a week of being careful, you're home free.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

imagerobinsokj:
    My vision isn't THAT bad.  I def need contacts/glasses to see, but for whatever reason contacts are not going well lately.  The eye dr has given me samples of different kinds, eye drops to try, but still after about 2 hours I want to claw my eyes out

This is why I have to use daily contacts, and I still suck at them.  I probably go through an average of 3 contacts a day (versus the normal 2) because as soon as one starts to bother me, I just remove it.

I also didn't actually ever need contacts or glasses until I was 26, so it's still relatively new.  DH has been blind since 1st grade so he can tolerate contacts much better.

I've been wearing contacts since 6th grade.  It's just like my eyes are now rejecting any and all types of them 

• You will also probably still eventually need reading glasses as you age.  The lasik will keep you from requiring bifocals though.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I had it done a little over 2 years ago and I would never be able to go back to glasses/contacts. Well worth the money I spent and the doctor even gave me a little break on the price since I offered to pay in cash.

Pros: no glasses or contacts, which means I don't have to worry about buying solution or making sure I have my glasses with me on vacations. I don't have to go to the eye doctor every year, I can put on eye make up at anytime with worrying that my contact solution will make it run, I can use eye drops anytime I want and I don't have to worry about showering/swimming with contacts. Also, a big thing for me- I can fall asleep while watching TV and I don't have to get up to take my contacts out or wake up half way through the night because I forgot to take my glasses off.

Cons: it is expensive. You have to take a day or two off from work in order to have the surgery and the follow up. You can't see right away and your eyes itch like crazy. You have to wear special goggles at night for the first week or so to ensure you don't rub your eyes. A first you will see halos if you drive at night, but that went away. The only real lasting con I have found so far is that my eyes tend to dry out more easily than before. It's nothing an eye drop lubricant can't fix, but it can be annoying.

• So I am mainly a lurker on this board....

But I LOVE my Lasik.  It was the best decision I have made - and the money was totally worth it. It has been about 7 years and I don't regret it for a minute.

I did have dry eye side effects for a few years. I would have to put drops in my eyes a few times a day.  That has since resolved its self.  The doctor did say I would need reading glasses sooner than if I did not have the surgery.  IMO, totally worth it.  I don't miss the days of dealing with contacts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Had it done 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Love love LOVE it. My only regret is not getting it done sooner.

Pros: I can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. Don't have to get up to remove contacts or worry if I threw my glasses in a safe place. No glasses when I travel, I can see better than before when I had my glasses. It's really amazing.

Cons: I personally have had no side effects past 1week. I always saw halos at night and those are still there though I think it's getting better. I have no residual dryness, no discomfort. Just great vision. In the first week, my eyes would get tired in the evening and I thought "Time to take my contacts out" then "Wait I don't have any." So I would just put drops and go to bed early.

It is expensive. We are still paying it off. But SOOO worth every penny.

We are going to Mexico this winter and I wanted to be 100 glasses/contacts free and have that freedom.
  • imagerobinsokj:
    imageHilarityEnsued:

imagerobinsokj:
    My vision isn't THAT bad.  I def need contacts/glasses to see, but for whatever reason contacts are not going well lately.  The eye dr has given me samples of different kinds, eye drops to try, but still after about 2 hours I want to claw my eyes out

This is why I have to use daily contacts, and I still suck at them.  I probably go through an average of 3 contacts a day (versus the normal 2) because as soon as one starts to bother me, I just remove it.

I also didn't actually ever need contacts or glasses until I was 26, so it's still relatively new.  DH has been blind since 1st grade so he can tolerate contacts much better.

I've been wearing contacts since 6th grade.  It's just like my eyes are now rejecting any and all types of them 

I have the exact same thing happening to me. My eye doctor recommended using the old school hydrogen peroxide cleaner instead of the no-rub stuff and some allergy eye drops. It made a world of difference. 

• imagemamaZbo:
    imagerobinsokj:
    imageHilarityEnsued:

imagerobinsokj:

I have the exact same thing happening to me. My eye doctor recommended using the old school hydrogen peroxide cleaner instead of the no-rub stuff and some allergy eye drops. It made a world of difference. 

Yep, tried it.  Still sucks

• JBMomJBMom member
    I had LasEk done about 3years ago. With Lasik they cut the flap, with Lasek they do the op on top of the eye. It takes a few days longer to heal and the doctor should recommend what works best for your eyes.
    But as everyone has said best money I ever spent!
    Only con is my eyes get a bit dry from time to time but nothing some eyedrops can sort out.
  • I had PRK which is what was around before Lasik and I have no cons - best thing I ever did.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I didn't qualify for LASIK my corneas were too thin for the amount of correction I needed. I got Visian implantable contacts instead. It's so great being able to see the clock in the morning and to swim without goggles. It was expensive but worth it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I did it about 5 months ago. It is the bomb dot com. 

Cons: kinda scary, eyes are kinda uncomfortable for a few days, uh.... that's about it.

Pros: I CAN SEE!!! It seriously takes like 4 mins. It is awesome. I can wear sunglasses whenever I feel like it. Do it!  

ETA: my eyes are pretty sensitive to light now. That's probably the only complaint I have.  

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • suv75suv75 member
    BEST THING EVER! I hated when I would fall asleep watching tv then have dry contacts to scrape off my eyes. I can see in the middle of the night. Love it!
  • I regret nothing, only wish I would've done it sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"