Natural Birth

Arnica?

Anyone use arnica to reduce post-birth swelling and bruising? My vulva was unrecognizable for days last time, so I'm looking at anything that might help it be a little less traumatizes this time. What dose did you take or products did you use?

Re: Arnica?

• I used it. I didn't really notice much of a difference. Ibuprofen helped a lot more to be honest. I had a lot of trauma to the area, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, I took a shitton of Advil last time and will do so again if needed. Wink It was a train wreck down there last time.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetokenhoser:
    Oh, I took a shitton of Advil last time and will do so again if needed. Wink It was a train wreck down there last time.

I'm just impressed you had the guts to look. I was way too afraid of my business to check it out in person. My sister said before they stitched me it looked like someone took a hatchet to my vag (she also said after it looked like frankencrotch...). She's so tactful. Confused

• I gave it a few days before I peeked. And just going by feel, I knew it was bad news.

I really really really  hope that I have no tearing, or even just a less severe one. Third degree was not pretty. DS was posterior, though, so perhaps if baby #2 cares to come out the conventional way up she'll fit better. 

• No experience with using it after birth, but i noticed a difference on my bruises from bumps or shots when I use the gel consistently. My midwifes included arnica Montana the tablets, not the ointment variety on my birth center packing list. And I'll be using it right after birth, along with Tylenol. I figure it can't hurt, anything to help make things feel back to normal quicker!
  • I used arnica (200c) pretty regularly the first couple of weeks to help heal. I did also take regular ibuprofen.  We really like arnica overall and have seen good results in other injuries and bumps in life, and I *think* it helped post partum. I'm planning to use it again.

I hear ya on tearing. My hope is that I will push on all fours or by leaning over the tub. I'll be talking with my midwife about strongly encouraging me to move if I end up on my back again - I want her to have me move as I know other positions will be a lot better to reduce tearing. 

• I pushed on my hands and knees the whole time, so that's no guarantee. Wink OP babies are rough.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    I pushed on my hands and knees the whole time, so that's no guarantee. Wink OP babies are rough.

Ugh. Hope this one's LOA for you. 

• imagetokenhoser:
    I gave it a few days before I peeked. And just going by feel, I knew it was bad news.I really really reallynbsp; hope that I have no tearing, or even just a less severe one. Third degree was not pretty. DS was posterior, though, so perhaps if baby 2 cares to come out the conventional way up she'll fit better.nbsp;

I hear second babies almost always come out with less tearing. Everyone I have known with a large tear for their first had much less severe tears for their subsequent births. I sure hope that's the case for me, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"