February 2013 Moms

Ah, the humor that helpful strangers bring.

DS and I went shopping today, and he wanted to eat. So I sat down on a bench and made him a bottle and fed it to him while he sat in his stroller. We use Dr. Brown's bottles. A lady sat down next to me and said, "Hey, he's not getting anything." At first I didn't realize she was talking to me. So I said, "I'm sorry, what?" And she replies, "That straw you put in there doesn't even go all the way down, he's not getting any food, and he's just playing, not eating." I smiled and told her it was an aerator that helps keep bubbles out of the nipple, and didn't even acknowledge the just playing comment. Five months in and it still catches me off guard how having a baby makes other people feel entitled to talk to you a certain way or offer unsolicited advice without hesitation.

Re: Ah, the humor that helpful strangers bring.

• Yep, just like when we were pregnant and people felt like they could comment on what we were eating, wearing, and how big we were.  If someone says something like that to me, I like to think that I'd be able to say something snarky back, but I always answer nicely.  I'm too nice.

• I can't believe the number of strangers that have asked if I BF.

I always answer kindly, but then think when did it become appropriate to talk about my boobs with strangers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My FIL is NOTORIOUS for asking women if they BF.. Perfect strangers in line at the grocery store.. ("Oh, what a cute baby. I notice you don't have a diaper bag with you - is that because you BF?") and his whole family acts like this is an acceptable conversation to have with a perfect stranger. (To be fair, this is not the uncomfortable topic that the man is willing to broach.)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Tell me about it! I was at a garden nursery today and a "helpful" lady made outright comments about my son getting too much sun. Yes it was bright in there and the greenhouses had the tops peeled back, but we weren't in there for long and it was none of her business. Ugh. I just kept saying "yep! It is bright! Yep it sure is sunny! Yep it sure is hot!" Drove me batty. He survived and the vitamin D was good for him for the 5 minutes we were there. And I was sticking to the shady areas, she just caught us in the moment when we were moving from one aisle to another. 

I had 3 different hats in his diaper bag too, but pride kicked in and I didn't feel like waving them at her.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • People need to just limit their comments to "What an adorable baby!" and "Here let me get that door for you!"

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• imageDrea926:
    People need to just limit their comments to "What an adorable baby!" and "Here let me get that door for you!"

Yes 

• imageDublinMama:

imageDrea926:
    People need to just limit their comments to "What an adorable baby!" and "Here let me get that door for you!"

Yes 

Thumbs up x 2!
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I think I perfected my mean mug long before pregnancy. People don't often approach me, and I primarily receive inquiries about his age, and often a remark about how big he is. I'm ok with that, because he is big.

I don't know how you ladies put up with it! Y'all just need to work on your "don't eff with me" expressions Wink 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunaway22:

I think I perfected my mean mug long before pregnancy. People don't often approach me, and I primarily receive inquiries about his age, and often a remark about how big he is. I'm ok with that, because he is big.

I don't know how you ladies put up with it! Y'all just need to work on your "don't eff with me" expressions Wink 

i concur!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My baby wore a cast for 11 weeks because he was born with a clubfoot. You should have heard the stupid things people said to me and my husband. My husband finally got so tired of people's comments he would just tell the he had a football injury. The people didn't know how to respond.. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"