Cloth Diapering

Update and more questions

Update:
So, I got singles of a few CDs so that I could compare the ease of use, and do my own little mad scientist style tests (my next test is pouring measured water on the diapers pad commercial style to see what absorbs and how [how much and is it quick])
I bought Alva AI2 pocket, Mother Ease OS, Bum Genius 4.0, and Thirsties

I couldn't for the life of me figure out the blasted snaps on the front. I had to look it up on youtube. Yeah, I did feel incredibly moronic following the viewing of the video. 

So far I am leaning towards the Alva Baby All in Two pocket diapers... the snaps seem durable and the fabric seems easy to clean.

Questions:

1. Do you use "diaper liners"  to make clean up easier? I was looking at flush-able liners, but I'm not sure if its just as easy to rinse off the diaper.

2.  Are those sprayers really necessary? I was thinking I could just have a cup and dump water over it to get off the chunks and save money (if I don't use the liners)

3. If I wash daily, will I need to do anything special to make sure the diapers are in decent shape?

4. How many diapers do you go through in a day?

5. Does insert type really matter? 

6. Are Swim Diapers awesome or unnecessary?

7. Can I toss my diapers and inserts in the drier? 

Thanks and I know I am full of questions... I'm just trying to get all this research out of the way before the twins get here and I loose my mind 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
imageimage

Re: Update and more questions

• imagekatiebenes:

Questions:

1. Do you use "diaper liners"  to make clean up easier? I was looking at flush-able liners, but I'm not sure if its just as easy to rinse off the diaper.

2.  Are those sprayers really necessary? I was thinking I could just have a cup and dump water over it to get off the chunks and save money (if I don't use the liners)

3. If I wash daily, will I need to do anything special to make sure the diapers are in decent shape?

To answer your questions:

1. We used disposable liners for the first three weeks, but found them to be more of a PITA than anything else, since the liner ended up shifting and bunching and so we would get poop on the actual diaper in any case. Also I found some of the so-called 'flushable' liners ended up blocking our pipes. So yeah, personally I'm not a fan of liners.

2. Diaper sprayers aren't necessary, but certainly make life a lot easier. You could also just swish and dunk or scrape. If you do want a sprayer but don't want to dish out that much cash you can DIY your own - just google DIY diaper sprayer and you'll find plenty of blogs giving step-by-step directions for how to make your own using a handheld shower attachment.

3. Washing daily will result in more wear and tear of your diapers - the only way to prevent this is to have a bigger stash.

4. This depends on the age of the baby and how often they poop. With a newborn you could change 10 - 12 times a day. With my toddler I change around 8 times a day, with usually one poop per day.

5. Inserts start to matter more as your babies grow and start peeing more - you might find that the mf is not absorbent enough to hold large amounts of toddler pee and if you have to double up on mf inserts the diaper gets pretty bulky. Natural fibre inserts - bamboo and hemp - hold more liquid than the mf and is generally trimmer, but also take longer to dry and is usually a bit more expensive than mf. So it's a trade-off, depending on what's most important to you. 

6. How necessary swim diapers is really depends on how often you intend taking your babies to a public pool/beach. We have two swim diapers and found them useful, plus they tend to fit for quite a while, so I think it's worth it to get some instead of forking out money on expensive disposable swimdiapers. At a public pool you will be required to use some sort of swim diaper on your babies.

7. You can safely tumble dry shells on low heat and inserts on any heat. The shells dry super fast though so you could also just line dry them and they will dry within in a few hours usually. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    imagekatiebenes:

So far I am leaning towards the Alva Baby All in Two pocket diapers... the snaps seem durable and the fabric seems easy to clean.   Not a bad choice, but just wanted to warn you of two things.  1.) Just because you like these now doesn't mean that they will fit the babies well  2.) Just because you like these now, doesn't mean you will continue to like them when the babies get here and you are CD'ing full time.  My fav diaper has changed three times since starting to CD 8 months ago.  I highly suggest getting a diverse stash rather than mostly one type for this reason.

Questions:

1. Do you use "diaper liners"  to make clean up easier? I was looking at flush-able liners, but I'm not sure if its just as easy to rinse off the diaper. I find these a complete waste.  Like PP said, until you get to the plopable poo stage they bunch are just useless.  Once you get to plopable poo, well then you can just plop so no need for a liner.

2.  Are those sprayers really necessary? I was thinking I could just have a cup and dump water over it to get off the chunks and save money (if I don't use the liners) Definitely not necessary.  You can dunk and swish or use some sort of designated diaper only spatula to scrape.  FWIW I love my sprayer though.  You can always make a DIY one to save money.

3. If I wash daily, will I need to do anything special to make sure the diapers are in decent shape? Not really.  If you only get enough to cover one day, your diapers will take more wear and tear from being used daily, but that's really not a bad thing if you aren't planning on using again for another kid or re-selling.

4. How many diapers do you go through in a day? In the NB stage 12-15, now at 9 months 8-10. 

5. Does insert type really matter? Yes.  My LO pees through MF in no time, not matter how thick I stuff.  LOVE my AppleCheeks bamboo.

6. Are Swim Diapers awesome or unnecessary? A special swim diaper is not necessary.   You can just use a pocket diaper with no stuffing.  (You don't want to go in the water with an insert because it will absorb the swim water and be just crazy heavy/big!)

7. Can I toss my diapers and inserts in the drier?  You can.  I don't like to dry my PUL covers though.  I line dry those and just dry my inserts.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagekatiebenes:

I use the Alva brand as well, and while not everybody likes them or their fit (which tends to be better for chunkier babies) I love mine to and they've held up great.

Questions:

1. Do you use "diaper liners"  to make clean up easier? I was looking at flush-able liners, but I'm not sure if its just as easy to rinse off the diaper. Have some, but I've never used them. I suppose I COULD, I just never have and don't feel like I need to.

2.  Are those sprayers really necessary? I was thinking I could just have a cup and dump water over it to get off the chunks and save money (if I don't use the liners) I don't think a cup would work honestly. For the stage when poo is Peanut Butter consistency it's pretty sticky and I've had a hard time even getting it off with my sprayer that has pretty good pressure. A friend of mine did a DIY which she said worked great, I bought one and don't regret it for a second even though it was more expensive. A spatula is another really cheap option though.

3. If I wash daily, will I need to do anything special to make sure the diapers are in decent shape? Hanging to dry can help save their elastics and longevity.

4. How many diapers do you go through in a day? DD used to go through 12-15 a day when she was a newborn, but now that she's a year old we're closer to 8

5. Does insert type really matter? Yes. It matters a lot. I love my alvas but their MF SUCKS. I was only able to use a single MF insert and make it last 2 hours between changes until she was about 4-5 months. Then we bought their bamboo inserts and doubled 1 MF with 1 Bamboo and that's lasted her great between changes so far, and still does. Their bamboo is great. Overnight I stuff with 2 prefolds though because she wets too much for any insert.

6. Are Swim Diapers awesome or unnecessary? Not NECESSARY because you can used an unstuffed pocket, but make sure it's dedicated for swimming because chlorine can make it delaminate faster. I bought swim diapers though because I couldn't pick a diaper I didn't like to use for swimming, and I just wanted an excuse to buy more cute diapers.

7. Can I toss my diapers and inserts in the drier? Yes definitely, but like I said, for longevity, washing and drying every day could be hard on them so I'd line dry when you can.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagekatiebenes:

Questions:

1. No. I would just have to get my fingers poopy trying to get the liner out. We haven't reached the plopable stage. Also, we are on septic so I don't thing flushing them would be good for my system.

2. No, but I love mine and feel that it makes poop removal much easier.

3. Increased use will just lead to increased wear and tear.

4. Seven or eight usually.

5. Yes. Microfiber absorbs fast but holds less and can get stinky easier. Hemp absorbs slower but holds more. There is also cotton, bamboo, minky.

6. We haven't tried a swim diaper yet.

7. Yes, but this will shorten the life of elastic. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Looks like I might be in the minority when it comes to the flushable liners. I like them for the stage in between EBF poop and when it becomes plopable. Yes, they move around and it doesn't always catch all of it but in general it makes for less dunking and swishing in the toilet. We do not have a diaper sprayer. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Really I <3 you ladies. Its so nice to hear from people who have done it recently! 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"