August 2012 Moms

Sippy cup info

because I didn't know any of this:

https://www.raisehealthyeaters.com/2011/06/5-things-parents-should-know-about-starting-and-stopping-sippy-cups/

Short version: 

Only use traditional sippy cups for a quick transition to cups (~a month), then switch to straw cups. Teach your kid to drink from a real cup between 12-15 months, then just use sippy cups for when you're out. Ditch the sippy between 2-3 years old.

I'm glad I didn't go buy 6 Nuk Learners at $8 a piece.G knows how to drink out a real cup and would prefer it that way, so maybe we can skip a few steps?

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
SCANDAL!

Re: Sippy cup info

• I used sippy cups with the older kids for about 6 months or so. By 18 months they drank out of regular cups. Not all kids are willing to do that though.

My pediatrician suggested taking the plastic spill-proof thing out of our sippy cups so that it would only be used as a transition to the real cup.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We use regular cups at home and reusable water bottles when we're out. I figured it's easier to have less to transition from.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That's funny you posted this. His pedi told me to offer real cups when he's in his chair and contained yesterday. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Oh and I am going to get him a craw cup though. He can drink out of my camelback like it's nothing. I may just get him a kids' size camelback. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• We got a straw sippy the other day. My darling DH was trying to help clean up and threw the straw part away.

I found this regular cup sippy things we are trying out. It looks like a cup with a pressure lid.When you drink, your lips press the lid down and the liquid comes out. When you stop, it is spill proof. I think it has handles as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good to know. Oliver loves to drink out of a real cup, but he doesn't love his sippy. He loves straws, but hasn't really gotten how to use them down. He thinks they're more of a fun toy than anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're skipping the sippy. It's not worth fighting him about it. He does really well with the regular cup, obviously I have to guide it for him but he's good at tipping it back and controlling the amount of liquid he gets.
  • imagesmile50208:
    We got a straw sippy the other day. My darling DH was trying to help clean up and threw the straw part away. I found this regular cup sippy things we are trying out. It looks like a cup with a pressure lid.When you drink, your lips press the lid down and the liquid comes out. When you stop, it is spill proof. I think it has handles as well.
    What cup is this? I must know!
  • Great...another thing for me to worry about. Not only do I have to worry about transitioning to a sippy but now I have to worry about the right sippy and giving that up too

Geesh, wish I wouldn't even have read it

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJayandEmm:
    imagesmile50208:
    We got a straw sippy the other day. My darling DH was trying to help clean up and threw the straw part away. I found this regular cup sippy things we are trying out. It looks like a cup with a pressure lid.When you drink, your lips press the lid down and the liquid comes out. When you stop, it is spill proof. I think it has handles as well.
    What cup is this? I must know!

BBJ asked the same thing...I responded to her page a few posts up.  There is a link to buy buy baby.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"