April 2013 Moms

Would you allow your LO....

Would you allow your LO to be around other children who have not been vaccinated??

I just found out this couple I know have choosen not to vaccinate. They are 5 yrs and 7 months old. The mother wants to have play dates with our 2 babies. Since my DS has now been vaccinated, he should be okay, right? Sorry if stupid question, just thinking out loud
TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: Would you allow your LO....

• Probably not. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    He hasn't had all his vax's yet, so he's still vulnerable to many diseases. I guess it depends on your comfort level with whether their kids are sick or carrying a disease. Realistically he would probably be fine, but there is always the risk. And maybe you just say no on principle since your son is doing his part to make herd immunity work and they aren't. GL with that decision.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that I would feel comfortable. If LO is vaccinated then wouldn't he be protected anyway?

This makes me realize I need to do more research! Also, the first Vacs here are at 3 mos, they are at 2 mos where you are? Strange!

That was very considerate of her to tell you though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whopping cough/Pertusis is becoming an epidemic with infants dying because of these people that are choosing not to vaccinate their kids. Not worth the play date IMO. 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope. Especially not until my LO was completely vaccinated. Just because your LO has gotten 2 month shots doesn't mean he is completely covered. Kids aren't totally vaccinated until closer to kindergarten when they get all the boosters.

And its not a stupid question. Unvaccinated kids/people worry me.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I probably wouldn't.  Like PPs mentioned, baby isn't fully vaccinated without all of the boosters, and even if he was, would you still feel comfortable letting him play with a child who theoretically may be carrying whooping cough?  We're not talking flu shots here... these diseases can be devastating. 

• No, I wouldn't, at first it is because my son didn't even have his full 2 month shots anyway. Didn't know they aren't fully vax'd with their first shots.. so that would make me say no too.

• I wouldn't.
  • I change my answer to no after hearing insights from PPs!
  • imageohgrl95:
    Whopping cough/Pertusis is becoming an epidemic with infants dying because of these people that are choosing not to vaccinate their kids. Not worth the play date IMO.nbsp;

This is where I'm at.
  • imageprincipessa81:
    imageohgrl95:
    Whopping cough/Pertusis is becoming an epidemic with infants dying because of these people that are choosing not to vaccinate their kids. Not worth the play date IMO.nbsp;

This is where I'm at.

Same here, I didn't let family around him who didn't have the pertussis shot because its really bad in Cali.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would probably not... your little one does not have MMR or the chicken pox vaccine yet. Hop on the NYTimes website... there was just an article about a massive Rubella outbreak overseas... it's summer, and people are flying and traveling and bringing all sorts of fun germs here! And the CDC website has been reporting a spike in measles in the US for the past year now. Noooo thank you!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not worth the play date. And how do these children get into school w/out vaccinations? Thought they were required?
  • Probably not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejss1482:
    Not worth the play date. And how do these children get into school w/out vaccinations? Thought they were required?

I have no clue what the requirement is in Canada.

They are 4 yrs old and 7 months
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I wouldn't. Vaccines are wonderful, but they aren't 100%. 
  • Not Until Your kids Have Recieved Their Vaccines For A full year. One set Of Vaccines aren't Enough.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imageOhSewCrafty:

Nope. Especially not until my LO was completely vaccinated. Just because your LO has gotten 2 month shots doesn't mean he is completely covered. Kids aren't totally vaccinated until closer to kindergarten when they get all the boosters.

And its not a stupid question. Unvaccinated kids/people worry me.

This. 

DH has a cousin who is not vaccinated and LOVES babies.  I'm not sure how we are going to be able to keep her away from DD for the next five years.

• imagejss1482:
    Not worth the play date. And how do these children get into school w/out vaccinations? Thought they were required?

Actually, kids can go to school un-vax'd by claiming it is a religious thing. The schools cannot stop them from joining then. Although they have to do a lot of paperwork I hear, but they can still legally get in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"