March 2013 Moms

Ikea exploding glass

Just thought I'd share what we got to wake up to this morning! We have an Ikea dresser in the nursery, the Malm 6 drawer dresser with a glass top (we don't use it as a changing table, I just had clean clothes on top).

anyways, this morning the glass top EXPLODED.  Like, not just cracked or shattered but full on exploded into every corner of the room. Every single surface of the room is now covered in glass. Nothing fell on it, and it only had a pile of baby clothes on it. A quick google search shows that ikea glass has actually exploded several times, as there were numerous articles about this very same thing happening to a lot of people. Some people even have videos of it exploding!

Thank God he still sleeps in our room. I'm so angry I don't know how I'm ever going to feel like I got every single little piece picked up. 

Just wanted to share. I know it's certainly not the norm, but I definitely won't be buying glass from ikea anymore.  I'm mad I even had glass in the nursery at all. 

Re: Ikea exploding glass

• Holy crap, that's scary! So glad no one was hurt.
  • WOW, so thankful your baby wasn't sleeping in there! Hope you give IKEA a piece of your mind!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh I plan on contacting Ikea for sure! After searching more online, I read about another mom whose daughter was in the room when a glass desk exploded. She said ikea wouldn't do anything and she filed a safety report, which I plan on doing as well. This needs to be recalled! 

• WOW!  That is so scary.  So glad your LO wasn't hurt, and I agree, definitely file a report!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • That's awful! I hope they do something about it.  Glad you and LO are safe!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelaurenrenee80:
    Oh I plan on contacting Ikea for sure! After searching more online, I read about another mom whose daughter was in the room when a glass desk exploded. She said ikea wouldn't do anything and she filed a safety report, which I plan on doing as well. This needs to be recalled!nbsp;nbsp;
    How is there not a recall yet!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • WTF. That is CRAZY! I'm so glad no one was in the room, but I'm astonished there has been no recall yet. Seriously, WTAF?!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh my god! I would have bought glass if they had it for my dresser there but I got a piece cut instead. That is absolutely horrifying!!!Wtf kind of glass just explodes and how are they allowed to still sell it! Glad your LO didn't get hurt, what an awful feeling that must have been for you.
  • Wow. Thank you for posting this. I had no clue that happened. I would be the same as you, and be paranoid that my little one may find the smallest piece. Well, with my luck I'm sure of it. If I were you I would send a nasty email about this to the company. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"