Baby Names

Which spelling...

do you prefer?

Nicholai or Nikolai?

There are reasons I like both spellings, but I want to see what everyone thinks by looking at it and if there's any particular reason why, first.

Bonus: Does Seamus sound okay with the name Yana (future DD name) or is that just a terrible mix? TIA!

ETA: Asking fellow name nerds, I have a hunch as to what the majority of answers will be ;) But we shall see. 

ETA 2: Crap! I forgot to mention pronunciation. It should be pronounced nee-kah-LIE.  I'm worried a lot of people will pronounce it wrong throughout his life and say nick-ah-lie. Thoughts?

Dx: PCOS, started Metformin 7/13

Re: Which spelling...

• i like Nikolai :) 
  • I much prefer Nickolai!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelil7peguin:
    i like Nikolai :nbsp;

Ditto
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemckeefisher:
    I much prefer Nickolai!

Just for clarity, is that supposed be to Nikolai or is the C intentional? 

• Nikolai.

I think Seamus and Yana are fine together.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• bobceebobcee member
    Nikolai.  But I do tend to pronounce it nick-oh-lie instead of nee-ko-lie.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• With a K

I think Seamus sounds terrible with Yana, but I'm not one to think sibling names have to go together. If you love them, use them.

• I like Nikolai a lot!

Seamus is a great name. I don't think it has the same feel as Yana, but that's okay. I don't think it needs to. Sibsets are overrated.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagebobcee:
    Nikolai.  But I do tend to pronounce it nick-oh-lie instead of nee-ko-lie.

This.  And Seamus and Yana sound fine together.

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelil7peguin:
    i like Nikolai :) 
     This.
  • Nikolai
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• I think Nikolai has a better chance of being pronounced "nee" rather than "nick." The K sort of alerts an English-speaker that it's different from Nicholas.

Nikolai and Yana sound great together; Seamus and Yana don't match well, but that's not always the most important consideration.

• imagebobcee:
    Nikolai.nbsp; But I do tend to pronounce it nickohlie instead of neekolie.

Yep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • love nikolai

and love seamus

yana not so much

• +ASH++ASH+ member
    Nikolai - love the name and this spelling. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I like Nikolai :)

I'm not a fan of Seamus at all. I can't help but think of some nicknames that might result from that name.

photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• I prefer Nikolai.  I'm a little biased though; DS is Nicklaus so I obviously go for the non-English forms of the name.

I love Seamus, but don't think it goes with Yana.   That being said, if you love it, use it.

• Thanks for the input, ladies!

DH and I have talked about the spelling before and I think we were leaning toward Nicholai because I had read on a couple sites that was the original spelling. But looking into it again, a lot say that Nikolai is the accepted spelling. People I've asked outside of TB seem to prefer Nicholai - I imagine due to it being closer to Nicholas and that's what people are used to.

Anyway, Nikolai seems to make the most sense, especially for the pronunciation. And the nicknames for it just more sense with this spelling. Now to get DH to agree! 

• I like Nikolai, though I think most people would pronounce either way like nick.o.lie.

I had the hugest crush on a guy named Nikolai in jr. High. Brings back memories, lol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I like Nikolai or Nicolai (no h)

Photobucket imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"