September 2013 Moms

Did anyone cheat on glucose test???

My midwife told me to eat a piece of toast and an egg before my test with DD#1, but I don't want to do that again. If I have GD, then I really want to know so I can do what's best for baby. What about you guys?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did anyone cheat on glucose test???

• How is that cheating?
    BabyFruit Ticker TTC since Nov 2011 Me: hypothalamic amenorrhea, DH: perfect May 2012 Follistim injections without response Sept 2012 Femara and Follistim resulting in hyperstimulation Nov/Dec 2012 Menopur for ~25 days, trigger, TI, BFP 1/1/13!
  • If that's what your midwife told you, how is that cheating?  To me, that is following instructions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Eating before a test won't make it look like you don't have GD if you really do. It would actually give you a false positive if anything. Fasting when you're not supposed to might give you a false negative, which it sounds like you're more concerned about. So eat up!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I would not suggest for u to cheat. I am a nurse and my advice to u is do things the right way . I told myself if I failed the first glucose tolerance test I would not repeat it. My obstetrician looked at my as if I was crazy. I know all these tests r overwhelming during pregnancy ; but its better to be safe than sorry!!
  • I agree with the others.  You CAN eat before the test.  With DS, my OB gave me no restrictions.  This time, my OB told me to eat protein, but no carbs.  Eating is not cheating.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks guys! I just always thought that it was supposed to be a fasting test, and that by eating I had cheated. Yes, I was following her advice, but she was pretty loose with directions and very pro-mom. Sad she retired. OB did not give the "allowed to snack" directions this time, which is why I guess it made me more nervous.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always fast before every glucose test based in the phlebotomist telling me how much NOT fasting can skew the results. I figure that they are the ones who probably know best!
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Confused. The GD typically involves drinking the sugary drink and waiting an hour, then having a sample of blood taken so they can measure your glucose level. Your body should be breaking down that sugar after an hour. If you have GD, that level will remain high. There is no baseline so the more sugary crap you eat before the test, the more sugar is in your body to begin with. There is no cheating. Even if you fast before the test, it isn't cheating. Either eat or don't - its as simple as that.

• I'm taking mine tomorrow, my directions were to eat as I normally would, but to refrain anything super sugary juice, candy within 3 hours of the test. She said she looking to see how my body reacts while eating a typical diet. Sounds like different doctors just do things different ways!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I fasted because I did not want to risk failing and it worked.

• imageSweetPeaK26:
    I always fast before every glucose test based in the phlebotomist telling me how much NOT fasting can skew the results. I figure that they are the ones who probably know best!

It depends on what the reference range is. If you fast when you're not supposed you, you just artificially lowered your numbers which are compared to a range of non fasting individuals. So yeah it's easier to pass the test that way but it can be a false negative. In other words, you would have had a higher number had you followed instructions from the doc if the doc said not to fast. The reference ranges are based on the population of interest. A fasting draw will of course meet the cut off for non fasting references, unless you have a horrifically severe problem.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • My OB said a light, non-sugary meal was fine. I had toast since my test was early in the morning and that's about what I normally would have eaten by then. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The lab I go to asks you if you are fasting or not and then adjusts for whatever you are doing. The only way to mess up the results according to my OB is to eat sugar within a few hours before the test, which can give you a false positive.

• imageSweetPeaK26:
    I always fast before every glucose test based in the phlebotomist telling me how much NOT fasting can skew the results. I figure that they are the ones who probably know best!

I was a phlebotomist for 4 years (until this last February) and I promise they don't know best. Phlebs know how to draw blood, not interpret results or how to get a certain result. Your doctor/midwife knows best. OP, my midwife also suggests toast and an egg for breakfast, not fasting. Different areas have different ways of testing, so just go by what you were told by your midwife. You aren't "cheating" the test at all.

• Mine just told me to eat normal before but nothing after you drink the stuff, not even water.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I go tmrw...my instructions are to eat my breakfast as normal and then drink the orange drink (that they sent me home with), 1hour before my appt. They then said to not eat or drink anything after the orange drink.  That's  exactly what I plan to do.

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• EOB584EOB584 member
    My doc told me to just eat normal - except don't eat a Snickers bar on the way to my appointment she said. :) I plan to have my normal breakfast when I have my test in two weeks.
  • That's not cheating - some providers have their patient/client fast, some do not.
  • If your midwife gave you those instructions, that is included in their threshold... so NOT doing it would be cheating. 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • My doctor told me I should eat an hour before my test. Plus on an empty stomach it may also make you throw up
  • imageOpheliaChem:
    Confused. The GD typically involves drinking the sugary drink and waiting an hour, then having a sample of blood taken so they can measure your glucose level. Your body should be breaking down that sugar after an hour. If you have GD, that level will remain high. There is no baseline so the more sugary crap you eat before the test, the more sugar is in your body to begin with. There is no cheating. Even if you fast before the test, it isn't cheating. Either eat or don't - its as simple as that.

yes!!!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"