C-sections

Looks like I'm going to be getting a c/s

I was hoping that my stubborn placenta would move, but this far it hasn't. I've got three weeks to hope it'll get out of the way, then if not its onto a csection on 7/25! Any words of wisdom? I'm a total planner...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Looks like I'm going to be getting a c/s

• jefkjefk member
    I found out I needed a c/s three days prior to it happening (big baby, excess amniotic fluid) - I wish I had time to plan!!  My advice: Take every medication they offer you - pain meds, gas-x, stool softener, suppository (it was my saving grace, I didn't think my stomach could get any more distended).  I wore hospital gowns and the mesh panties they give you for the duration of my stay, but my own robe would have been nice - to walk the halls, I had to put another gown on backwards to cover my a.ss.  My baby was jaundiced and she spent a lot of time out of the room under the lights, so having my tablet was a nice distraction.  Most of all, just take it easy.  Let the nurses take the baby so you can rest, and make sure DH has something to keep him busy.  Good luck!!
  • I had an unplanned c/s.  I agree with pp.  Take whatever they offer you.  Keep up with your pain meds to stay ahead of it.  Keep up with colace too.  The biggest surprise for me was the bad gas pain I experienced on days 4-7 or so post c/s, so take your Gas-x!  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry. That sucks big time. DS was breech and didn't find out until I was in labor dilated to 5cm.

Ditto all PPs said. I'd add to have everything down stairs if you have a two story home. Stairs are a no no for several weeks. I went up ours at two weeks and it was too soon. Waited until three weeks and then only went up every couple days and gradually increased it.

Good luck!
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hazy19hazy19 member
    I have a feeling there's no escaping the stairs in my house...I also have a 3.5 year old so I know I won't be getting as much rest as I would hope for.  Did everyone have a ' no stairs' rule?  
  • I had an emergency c section, the spinal block is amazing, it was really quick and I didn't feel a thing, I just felt pressure on my upper abdomen, but it wasn't bad at all. The mesh underwear are great, but they did chafe alittle so that was uncomfortable, if you don't have granny panties already, invest now, the low rise underwear that hit right at the incision were a no go, and I recommend taking a night gown, or pants that you can pull up high, and a robe. That was my only issue, I wasn't prepared with clothes that fit comfortably higher than my incision line. Also DO NOT sit in bed, and reach over to the side to get the baby out of the bassinet! OMG! haha It's a pain but actually get up out of bed and pick them up, or make your spouse or whoever get them if you can't. That was a huge mistake, my husband was gone for the Air Force and my sister stayed the night with me, and I couldn't get her to wake up to get DS for me, so I leaned over and I pulled one of the internal sutures, awful pain and set me back recovery wise. It's true when they say that moving will help you recover faster. If they give you a pain pump... use it! And stool softeners are wonderful! Don't stress over it, I had a wonderful experience with my surgery, DS came out perfect and healthy, beautiful perfect round head, and my vagina is just as good as it was before! Plus we don't have to worry about snissing! YAY! haha Good Luck! I honestly hope and pray that the placenta moves though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagehazy19:
    I have a feeling there's no escaping the stairs in my house...I also have a 3.5 year old so I know I won't be getting as much rest as I would hope for.  Did everyone have a ' no stairs' rule?  

Yes, I was told no stairs for the first several days.  I eased my way into stairs by taking a few a day starting at about five days after the c/s.  If it's unavoidable, just take it extremely easy. Stairs and getting up from a seated position (and lying down, of course) were the hardest for me.  

Another tip worth mentioning is to wear the binder your hospital should provide. Also, as you're standing up, coughing, sneezing, etc., it can help to hold a pillow against your abdomen. It's not an easy recovery, but absolutely doable.   

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • hazy19hazy19 member
    imageandieb0316:

I had an emergency c section, the spinal block is amazing, it was really quick and I didn't feel a thing, I just felt pressure on my upper abdomen, but it wasn't bad at all. The mesh underwear are great, but they did chafe alittle so that was uncomfortable, if you don't have granny panties already, invest now, the low rise underwear that hit right at the incision were a no go, and I recommend taking a night gown, or pants that you can pull up high, and a robe. That was my only issue, I wasn't prepared with clothes that fit comfortably higher than my incision line. Also DO NOT sit in bed, and reach over to the side to get the baby out of the bassinet! OMG! haha It's a pain but actually get up out of bed and pick them up, or make your spouse or whoever get them if you can't. That was a huge mistake, my husband was gone for the Air Force and my sister stayed the night with me, and I couldn't get her to wake up to get DS for me, so I leaned over and I pulled one of the internal sutures, awful pain and set me back recovery wise. It's true when they say that moving will help you recover faster. If they give you a pain pump... use it! And stool softeners are wonderful! Don't stress over it, I had a wonderful experience with my surgery, DS came out perfect and healthy, beautiful perfect round head, and my vagina is just as good as it was before! Plus we don't have to worry about snissing! YAY! haha Good Luck! I honestly hope and pray that the placenta moves though!

thanks!  This actually made me feel much better and I'm glad to know about the whole getting out of bed to get baby thing!!!  I definitely don't want to delay healing!!! 

• I also had an emergency c-section and then soent a week in hospital due to complications. Ditto taking all the pain meds they offer and log-rolling out of bed.  I was especially happy to have my robe and simple slippers (with rubber non-slip bottoms), and favourite maternity pajama bottoms.  Also, by about day three I was ready for a shower.  My advice is not get help doing it.  I felt so good afterwards!
  • Dont take the catheter out until you can walk by your self to the bathroom! Otherwise they will put it in again with out you being numbed! Best advice I had when I went through my emergency c section!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all, congrats on making it to 34 weeks! I'm in the same boat as you, just 3 weeks behind. From what I've been told, a lot of the interventions that would need to be administered should you have a bleed are no longer done past 34 weeks. This includes steroid shots and magnesium sulfate (I've heard mag is just miserable). This is my first so I'm no help on words of wisdom but I'm also a planner so I've been learning as much as I can about c-sections and recovery. I really hope your placenta moves out of the way. I've heard from a few woman now that they didn't get clearance until 36 weeks so that really gives me hope! Best of luck and keep us posted on any new developments!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"