Babies: 3 - 6 Months

taking baby in the pool

So we want to take LO in the pool next week on the 4th, but I know the doctor's said no sunblock until 6 months. Have any of you had LO in the pool at the younger ages? What have you done?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: taking baby in the pool

• Also, it's a private pool at my mom's house, so there aren't like a lot of people swimming and running around. It's probably just going to be me and my mom, maybe DH and stepdad.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a long sleeved rash guard and a big sunhat. My pedi said sunblock is ok if necessary, better that than a sunburn if there isn't shade
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on putting a hat and long sleeved shirt on her if I do bring her in the pool.  If it is really hot and she does go in it will only be for a few min just to help cool her down if the water isn't too cold. 

That was a lot of "ifs" 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We put our LO in the pool just last month (he was 2 1/2 months old) and he LOVED IT! We put a little hat on him and a onesie underneath of his swim trunks. Since we just dipped him in for a few minutes, everything went great! Also, we normally bring him outside in the late afternoon when it's still plenty warm but the sun's UV rays aren't as strong. If you have baby out in the sun in the middle of the day, you could be asking for trouble.

Since our LO's first pool experience, we have bought a long sleeve rash guard so we'll be skipping the onesie this time.

• imagemhickey426:

I plan on putting a hat and long sleeved shirt on her if I do bring her in the pool.  If it is really hot and she does go in it will only be for a few min just to help cool her down if the water isn't too cold. 

That was a lot of "ifs" 

This is what I'm thinking. It'll be a short-lived dip just to cool her off. They have lots of shade and I think I'm going to get a rash guard to cover her up. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Its no sunscreen until after 6 months, but you can use sunblock before then. There is a difference between the 2. I recommend the Neutrogena baby in the Pink and white bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • agree that it is better to sunblock than risk sun burn bc even with wearing all the protective gear babies can burn quick especially with the reflection off the water - i learned this with my first daughter who got sunburned at 20 weeks old! we were at the bay and she was wearing a half-sleeve rash guard and hat - we would only dip her in the ocean for maybe 5 - 10 mins a time and it was enough to give her some burn on her cheeks and uncovered arms! I cried all night. she survived, but I learned my lesson!

We use California baby - it is expensive but is as safe as it can get.

• DD is 5 and a half months and we took her to the pool last week. We had her in a hat and used sunblock. She seemed to enjoy the pool...we also only stayed for about 45 minutes.
  • We took DD to the pool last week - we went in the evening and I had a hat on her.  Didn't use any sunblock or sunscreen but I tried to keep her covered or in the shade.  DH took her in the water for a little bit, and then I bundled her up in a towel when she came out to warm her up.  She didn't seem to get too cold - but she is always pretty warm in general.  We'll be going on vacation next week, and I bought some aveeno baby sunscreen for times when I can't keep her in the shade or covered.  I also got a pool float that has a shade canopy.  
  • We had our LO at a picnic the other day. She is 5 1/2 months old and we used sunscreen. I agree that its better than the kid burning.
  • i took my son to my mom's pool at her house and we put him in a rash guard short sleeve shirt and a hat with baby sunglasses in a float that had a shade on it. it was in for about 20 mins then got sick of it. he was 5 months at the time but he really enjoyed it!
  • We hit the pool today!  Heated pool so water nice and warm and she had on a sun hat and long shelve swim shirt.  Just keep the baby in the shade.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageemriley84:
    I have a long sleeved rash guard and a big sunhat. My pedi said sunblock is ok if necessary, better that than a sunburn if there isn't shade

Same here. He has a long sleeved swim shirt, big hat, and swim trunks which only leaves below the knee exposed. I keep him in the shade the majority of the time bit take him in for some water time as well. I have a 3 year old amd there is no way I can keep her from the pool all summer.
  • imagemben1119:
    Its no sunscreen until after 6 months, but you can use sunblock before then. There is a difference between the 2. I recommend the Neutrogena baby in the Pink and white bottle.

This. We've been using the Neutrogena Pure and Free in the pink and white botle along with a rash guard and hat. Although it does say sunscreen, I feel like people get confused with the terminology. It's just that its the zinc based kind that's hard to rub in that's best for babies, which the neutrogena is, despite it saying suscreen on the bottle. He's been in the pool 3 times and he's 3 months. He loves it! It's never too long 10 mins or so and he's out. It's too hot here in SC not to.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have never followed the rules.. If your an outside person like I am, your baby needs sun protection. Period.. They can't be covered up 247 and not ever be outside in the sun... My son is 13 weeks and has been in the pool 3 times and he loves it! My advice is to put their feet in a s if they like it bring them for a dip.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure about the pool yet, we haven't tried that adventure yet. But I know with the sunscreen idea.... I am a redhead, Little Miss' got redheads on her father's side, grandma is a redhead and she is a red head- she got sunscreen first time about 9 weeks old because we went for a walk outside. she gets sunscreen about 1-2 times a week and always a bath at the end of the day, it hasn't harmed her in any way at all. I encourage protection if they don't have a reaction to it. 
  • We use California baby too. It was highly recommended by the pediatrician along with blue iguana. Both are pricy but I only use it on my 19 week old when absolutely needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"