July 2012 Moms

C-section woes

The doula posts from the other day got me thinking and I felt the need to write this for some advice/sympathy?/honest input.

After an induction due to estimated size of LO, about 18 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing, my labor story ended in an emergency C-section. Due to the fact that LO's head could not fit through my pelvis despite my pushing efforts, he got wedged in there pretty tightly, resulting in my uterus being torn in 3 places during my operation. A few days after LO's birth, I was given the news that I would always be required to have C-sections due to these tears. That was the last time I spoke about it with my doctor and the convo was short and vague. I know I need to go into more detail with her, but I am terrified. I just can't come to terms with the idea of never experiencing a vaginal birth and I really want to try med-free as well with no induction (I feel that if I had waited to labor naturally, my pelvis might have "opened" a little more, allowing LO to fit).

My question is this, if my Dr. sticks to her guns about this C-section thing, should I seek a Dr. that might allow a VBAC or do you think that, since my Dr. witness the surgery and knows exactly what happened, that it would be best to stick with her? I would love to try a doula and try med-free, but I'm so worried my plans will be crushed by the reality that I will be required to have a scheduled C-section.

What do you guys think (Assuming you care deeply about having a vaginal delivery and such)? Second opinion or play it safe?

Re: C-section woes

• imagehi jinx:

I think given the fact that your uterus tore in 3 places that you would be hard pressed to find a doctor willing to allow a VBAC.  I personally would also be scared to try a VBAC in those circumstances. You could always get a second opinion, but it really makes me nervous to think about a VBAC in this circumstance.

I completely understand the desire for a vaginal delivery. I was induced due to high blood pressure and my inductions failed which resulted in a c-section. I'm currently arguing with my OB over whether I should be allowed to attempt a VBAC. He's generally VBAC supportive, but failed inductions are usually a reason for him to not support VBAC. I never even experienced labor and it absolutely breaks my heart to think that I may never get that experience.

I understand this completely. I think the fact that I experienced labor helps me cope a little, but I almost feel like a failure as a woman (although I know I am not) due to the fact that I could not do the thing that my body was MADE to do! Its a big issue in my life and I am racked with jealousy every time a friend or relative has that perfect vaginal delivery. I am so sorry you are going through similar emotions and I wish there was something we could do to feel better about it. Its so disheartening how something so amazing and spectacular such as the birth of our children could be looked at in a negative way, but its hard to accept that our dreams of that "perfect birth" will never get a chance to play out. :(

• I would have a RCS. Subsequent babies are usually larger and your uterus probably has scar tissue from those tears in addition to the csection. The scar tissue is a weak point. The worst case scenario would be another emergent csection where your uterus perforates and you need an emergent hysterectomy to save your life

I will tell you I have similar feelings regarding birth. I was induced at 42 weeks w Caleb and had a 28 hour induction, which led to an epidural and vacuum and episiotomy.

We knew Hunter was going to be larger than Caleb. I just knew it. The doctors thought he would be 7 or 8 pounds. I insisted on an induction at 40 weeks with Hunter and had a really good contraction pattern for the entire time. However after 20hours I was a 4 station and only 1.5cm and Hunters heart rate was doing funny stuff so we went to csection. Hunter had the cord wrapped around his torso and was essentially bungee jumping on my cervix w each contraction, sunny side up and "large for gestational age"

Hunter was 9lb 1oz at 40w1day. Caleb was 7lb 8oz at 42w.

I too am really disappointed that I will never know a real contraction or med free birth. BUT I have two healthy boys and I'm healthy. There are no medals in childbirth

Andplusalso, my OB RN friends say a RCS is an easier recovery versus an emergent CS bc you're not exhausted and contracting

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would get a second opinion from another OB/GYN with privileges at a hospital I'd want to deliver at (definitely bringing copies of my records from the birth so they can review them).
  • imageDeniseRN:
    I would have a RCS. Subsequent babies are usually larger and your uterus probably has scar tissue from those tears in addition to the csection. The scar tissue is a weak point. The worst case scenario would be another emergent csection where your uterus perforates and you need an emergent hysterectomy to save your life

I will tell you I have similar feelings regarding birth. I was induced at 42 weeks w Caleb and had a 28 hour induction, which led to an epidural and vacuum and episiotomy.

We knew Hunter was going to be larger than Caleb. I just knew it. The doctors thought he would be 7 or 8 pounds. I insisted on an induction at 40 weeks with Hunter and had a really good contraction pattern for the entire time. However after 20hours I was a 4 station and only 1.5cm and Hunters heart rate was doing funny stuff so we went to csection. Hunter had the cord wrapped around his torso and was essentially bungee jumping on my cervix w each contraction, sunny side up and "large for gestational age"

Hunter was 9lb 1oz at 40w1day. Caleb was 7lb 8oz at 42w.

I too am really disappointed that I will never know a real contraction or med free birth. BUT I have two healthy boys and I'm healthy. There are no medals in childbirth

Andplusalso, my OB RN friends say a RCS is an easier recovery versus an emergent CS bc you're not exhausted and contracting

I love this thank you. I will have a RCS as well because I didn't open past 6 with 24 hours of active labor. I love a nurse's medical point of view though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • I would certainly get a second opinion (and third or fourth if necessary). You deserve the chance to have the birth experience you have wanted. There is a section about VBACs in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth that has a lot of good statistics and information in it.

Also, out of curiosity - how big was Kellen? As big as they were estimating? The ACOG does not recommend inductions based on suspected macrosomia, because it doubles the risk of a c-section without improving outcomes for the baby or mother. So TBH, it sounds like your OB is not following evidence-based best practices and that might contribute to the unwillingness to let you try for the VBAC. I would be looking for a new doctor or midwife regardless. GL!

• While I would like to try for a VBAC in the future, I will not be disappointed if it does not work out.  I don't feel like I need to experience a vaginal birth and I'm not a big risk taker so take my opinion FWIW.  Does your doctor support VBACs in normal circumstances? If so, I would trust her advice. I'd be terrified to try it in your case honestly. 
  • imagealphahelix:

I would certainly get a second opinion (and third or fourth if necessary). You deserve the chance to have the birth experience you have wanted. There is a section about VBACs in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth that has a lot of good statistics and information in it.

Also, out of curiosity - how big was Kellen? As big as they were estimating? The ACOG does not recommend inductions based on suspected macrosomia, because it doubles the risk of a c-section without improving outcomes for the baby or mother. So TBH, it sounds like your OB is not following evidence-based best practices and that might contribute to the unwillingness to let you try for the VBAC. I would be looking for a new doctor or midwife regardless. GL!

He was 8lb 5 oz, but his head was in the 98th percentile, which was the main issue. I do feel however, that my Dr. was a little pushy about the C-section from the get go. If it weren't for my amazing labor and delivery nurse, I probably wouldn't have been able to push as long as I did (I had to BEG my Dr. to let me keep pushing and she was saying LO's heart rate was fluctuating while my nurse was saying it looked completely normal and not urgent at all) Overall, I'm not in love with my Dr. and have no real attachment to her.

I agonized over my decision to be induced, but I REALLY did not want a C-section and my Dr. seemed to believe that a big baby would pose greater risk of C/S than an induction, and I believed her. I wish now that I had done a little more research, although we will never know whether I would have ended up with a C/S even without an induction.

I try not to dwell on it, and for the most part I don't, but when friends have those smooth vaginal births or any time I think about a second delivery, I get pretty emotional.

• imagemrsrek10:
    imagelewispm:
    imagehi jinx:

I think given the fact that your uterus tore in 3 places that you would be hard pressed to find a doctor willing to allow a VBAC.  I personally would also be scared to try a VBAC in those circumstances. You could always get a second opinion, but it really makes me nervous to think about a VBAC in this circumstance.

I completely understand the desire for a vaginal delivery. I was induced due to high blood pressure and my inductions failed which resulted in a c-section. I'm currently arguing with my OB over whether I should be allowed to attempt a VBAC. He's generally VBAC supportive, but failed inductions are usually a reason for him to not support VBAC. I never even experienced labor and it absolutely breaks my heart to think that I may never get that experience.

I understand this completely. I think the fact that I experienced labor helps me cope a little, but I almost feel like a failure as a woman (although I know I am not) due to the fact that I could not do the thing that my body was MADE to do! Its a big issue in my life and I am racked with jealousy every time a friend or relative has that perfect vaginal delivery. I am so sorry you are going through similar emotions and I wish there was something we could do to feel better about it. Its so disheartening how something so amazing and spectacular such as the birth of our children could be looked at in a negative way, but its hard to accept that our dreams of that "perfect birth" will never get a chance to play out. :(

I have felt this way before too.. but not because of my c-section but because of my struggle to even conceive. I felt very much like a failure as a woman because my body would not get pregnant. Then once it got pregnant, I had to take hormones the first 16 weeks to keep James Austin alive and nourished. I also had some very real scares throughout the whole time. Culminating in an emergency C-section to save me (and him by just being in me). I have not felt the first contraction and I had an anterior placenta and felt very little movement. I felt his kicks twice. TWICE. I could feel him roll and I could feel his hiccups bc my belly jumped when he would get them. I felt frustrated and let down with my body almost the whole time..conceiving, pregnancy, birth and then breast feeding did not work (thanks again to my stupid hormones). I developed PPD and really think it was all of these things tied into one. So, know, I relate to feeling disappointed... 

However, one day I was looking at my sweet baby sleeping peacefully as I cried because I had just given him his first bottle of formula. I was praying and wondering why the F my body didn't work and then it hit me.. it did work. It did exactly what God intended for it to do. Sure, it was not the "conventional" way... meds to get pregnant, meds to keep being pregnant, c-section.. etc. I was fully intended to be James Austin's Mom and I had him in my arms. The whole point of the whole process was to be a Mom.. by any means necessary. So, in that moment, I let go of the disappointment because I realized what I was disappointed in was simply a means to a dream.. of being a Mommy to a healthy baby.. and that was exactly what I was. 

I say all of this to say.. I understand and can sympathize with you on your sadness or feeling like your body is not doing what it should. However, the ultimate goal is for you to be another baby's Mom (and still be here and healthy for Kellen). It sounds like your small body size (which I wish I had!) and the tears may prevent a VBAC for you safety and your future baby's safety.. but I wanted to say.. your body still worked and you are still just as much a Mommy as anyone else. I hope you can find peace in that if you can't have the birth method you see as "ideal". Birth is just a process... the healthy baby is the goal.

ETA: sorry it is so long! I am all teary now but wanted to share.. 

Thank you for this! Now I am in tears sitting at my desk, but they are happy tears. You are right. The outcome is a healthy baby which is all I ever truly wanted and I should try to remember that more often.

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles and I am glad to hear you have found peace with everything you have been through. Reading your words has really inspired me to stop questioning "what if" and just let go and let God, which I often forget to do.

Again, your beautifully written words have truly touched me and thank you for sharing your struggles. :)

• Your situation seems like it may be unique.  From what I read they recommend repeat C/S because they believe the scar tissue is weaker and may lead to rupture of the uterus.  While this can happen it is unlikely and many women do have safe VBACs. However, it sounds like you had some additional tearing during your procedure which means that you have multiple areas that may have scar tissue and be weaker.  This could create a problem and I can see why a doctor would be hesitant doing a VBAC in that situation.  I think you need to talk to your doctor about where you tore and what exactly they did to correct it.   After you have this information I think you should get a second opinion as many doctors just do not want to do VBACs.  It may be that you are a candidate for a VBAC but that your current OB does not do them.  It is sad that once the baby comes out many of the doctors/nurses just gloss over what you went through and what happened to your body.  I really wish they would tell us more about postpartum recovery and what to expect.

ETA: I agree with all the PPs especially msrek.  She said some very wise words!

• imagemrsrek10:
    imagelewispm:
    imagehi jinx:

I have felt this way before too.. but not because of my c-section but because of my struggle to even conceive. I felt very much like a failure as a woman because my body would not get pregnant. Then once it got pregnant, I had to take hormones the first 16 weeks to keep James Austin alive and nourished. I also had some very real scares throughout the whole time. Culminating in an emergency C-section to save me (and him by just being in me). I have not felt the first contraction and I had an anterior placenta and felt very little movement. I felt his kicks twice. TWICE. I could feel him roll and I could feel his hiccups bc my belly jumped when he would get them. I felt frustrated and let down with my body almost the whole time..conceiving, pregnancy, birth and then breast feeding did not work (thanks again to my stupid hormones). I developed PPD and really think it was all of these things tied into one. So, know, I relate to feeling disappointed... 

However, one day I was looking at my sweet baby sleeping peacefully as I cried because I had just given him his first bottle of formula. I was praying and wondering why the F my body didn't work and then it hit me.. it did work. It did exactly what God intended for it to do. Sure, it was not the "conventional" way... meds to get pregnant, meds to keep being pregnant, c-section.. etc. I was fully intended to be James Austin's Mom and I had him in my arms. The whole point of the whole process was to be a Mom.. by any means necessary. So, in that moment, I let go of the disappointment because I realized what I was disappointed in was simply a means to a dream.. of being a Mommy to a healthy baby.. and that was exactly what I was. 

I say all of this to say.. I understand and can sympathize with you on your sadness or feeling like your body is not doing what it should. However, the ultimate goal is for you to be another baby's Mom (and still be here and healthy for Kellen). It sounds like your small body size (which I wish I had!) and the tears may prevent a VBAC for you safety and your future baby's safety.. but I wanted to say.. your body still worked and you are still just as much a Mommy as anyone else. I hope you can find peace in that if you can't have the birth method you see as "ideal". Birth is just a process... the healthy baby is the goal.

ETA: sorry it is so long! I am all teary now but wanted to share.. 

That was the sweet thing I've read. I love your disposition and attitude :
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this, lewispm.  I also had a C-section after visions of a vaginal birth.  I however, LOVE my doc and practice, but they don't do VBACs.  I am terribly torn about whether to stay with a practice I love and guarantee another section, or potentially move to another and attempt a VBAC.  I have a consult with my OB next month to even see if I'm a good candidate before I begin talking to other practices in my area. 

I also could not think about Thomas' birth without being upset for a long time (for a variety of reasons), so I can understand on that point too.  He was a surprise section - I labored at home to 7cms before we went to the hospital and we discovered he was breech.  My water had broken, and there was concern that he would go into distress if we tried to flip him.  I was primarily disappointed because I felt like I was so close to delivering vaginally, and yet was unable to follow through. 

It can definitely be hard to reconcile that things didn't go the way they were "supposed to", and yet you have a beautiful healthy baby.  In the moment I made the decision, I was not upset at all, since I felt it was the right decision for the health of myself and my baby based on the advice of a doctor I fully trusted.  But, like you, I still want the experience of vaginal birth. 

No point to this, except to say that you are not alone!

• The birth of my DS ended in the same emergency csection and uterine tears , called extensions. That was almost three years ago.

Before and during my pregnancy with my DD, I researched and got recommendations for her arrival. All of them said RCS due to the lack of info on vbacs with extensions. During my pregnancy those feelings from my first LD were gone and I was just so excited to meet our new baby.

I went into labor before my scheduled date and showed up at the hospital at 8cm...within two hours. They rushed me back to the OR because of my uterine extensions.

Everything went great and the best part, my OB said my uterus looked great and if I ever wanted to have a third I could vba2c. So, find a vbac friendly doc and review your operative report. Your extensions may not prohibit your chances. Good luck.
  • It sounds like the damage to your uterus was pretty severe. It does suck when thing don't go the way you plan, but I think the most important thing for the next pregnancy and birth would be for you to play it safe so that YOU will be healthy for both Kellan and the next one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelRC117:
    imagesummergirl1211:
    imagealphahelix:

I would certainly get a second opinion (and third or fourth if necessary). You deserve the chance to have the birth experience you have wanted. There is a section about VBACs in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth that has a lot of good statistics and information in it.

Re: the bolded. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't think docs induced anymore due to estimated size of the baby. I've heard of moms who have delivered 10 lb. babies vaginally. Confused

If 3 out of 4 doctors say no, I would take that to heart. Don't go shopping for a doctor and keep going until one says yes. There is a reason multiple doctors would say no. Its not because they are being mean...they are doing it because they are focused on the outcome, not the means.  The outcome they want is a healthy baby and healthy mom and with the risks that come with 3 tears they may not feel that a VBAC is a means that will result in the outcome they want.

Ask them if they do VBACs under different circumstances.  Ask them what makes some women good candidates for VBAC if you are suspicious of them.

Oh, I do agree with this - I wouldn't suggest she try for a VBAC no matter what cost. What I meant by getting a third and fourth opinion was to just talk to several doctors about her specific situation and see what they would do or recommend for her, like you said. I would want opinions from more than one or two doctors before making such a big decision.

• You are being so hard on yourself.

Even if you did wait for it to happen naturally you still possibly would've needed a C-section.

Here was my similar experience: Labor started naturally(med-free) for 43 hours. After that since no progress was made past 5cm(which is the measurement I went into the hospital with 20 hours prior) an epidural was suggested to loosen me up so I wasn't so tense from back labor pain.

Well it worked. I got to 10 cm within the hour and pushed for 2 hours. Ended up with a C-section because LO was wedged and was not descending past 0 station. .

So sometimes even induction free labors end in C-sections.

If it means a lot to you to have a vaginal delivery next time, then Im sure you could. A new doctor who is comfortable with vbac might be needed though. Im torn myself about trying for a vbac next-time but honestly since my stomach already looks like a war zone I may schedule a section.

In the end, do what you are comfortable with, research it and go for it! But don't second guess your decision--because you did the best you could for your LO!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Absolutely a 2nd opinion... But I would do so with the assumption that they were going to tell me the same thing, and that the end result will always be a healthy baby and mama... No matter how we got there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"