September 2013 Moms

Hair color

I desperately need to color my hair... I've been trying to hold off and wait until after September, but seeing as I have multiple weddings and parties to attend I was thinking I may just do it.

The thing is.. I don't have the money right now to go get it done at the salon, so I was thinking about getting one of those box colors.. Any suggestions as to whether or not the box colors are worse then the stuff they use at the salon? Does anyone recommend a certain brand that might be a little less harsh?

Re: Hair color

• I talked to my OB about this before I had mine highlighted last week. She said as long as it is done in a well ventilated area, it would be okay. Also, with highlights, the "color" wasn't sitting on my scalp since it was done with foils. There is a lot of information out there, so definitely read up on enough to make you feel well informed before buying a color even if it is recommended here. Good luck finding something you like!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLiveNLove44:
    I talked to my OB about this before I had mine highlighted last week. She said as long as it is done in a well ventilated area, it would be okay. Also, with highlights, the "color" wasn't sitting on my scalp since it was done with foils. There is a lot of information out there, so definitely read up on enough to make you feel well informed before buying a color even if it is recommended here. Good luck finding something you like!

My ob said the same well ventilated is very important and color via foils isn't sitting on your skin directly. Maybe check out a highlighting kit?
  • Loading the player...
  • I colored my hair almost a month ago with a box kit (my OB okayed it), I just sat outside while waiting to rinse it out and had the bathroom fan on and the window open while putting the color on. I would just ask your OB what he/she recommends also

• As long as you keep well ventilated, you should be alright to do it at home.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• eyriseyris member

I really like Garnier Herbashine.  It's ammonia free and semi-permanent so it fades gradually over time, if you pick a color close to your natural color you won't have crazy roots grow in (this is assuming you pick a shade close to or darker than your natural hair color, if you're lightening you'll still have roots).  It covers grays really well also, if that's a concern for you.

It still has an odor, so still make sure to have ventilation.

If you're going with box dye and you usually have your hair professionally colored, don't try to do anything too drastic.  I would say you should be fine if you pick a shade within a couple away from your natural color and aren't dying over anything crazy (like trying to turn dark brown blonde or vice versa). 

My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

• I always color my hair with box color, and I use either Loreal Excellence or Loreal Preference, depending on the color.  I used the Garnier kind with no ammonia, but within 2 weeks, it had faded significantly.  My hair doesn't hold color nearly as long when I am pregnant though.  So I went back to Excellence.  It makes my hair super soft and doesn't dry it out.  But it does have an odor, so be sure to be somewhere well ventilated!  Good luck!
  • I was going to wait as well, but plan to dye my hair this week. I think I'm going to use the new Garnier Olia Oil hair color. It's ammonia free so it just makes me feel better. I also plan on going just a touch lighter than my typical dark brown, so if it does grow out, it's not very obvious!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine highlighted in April (2nd tri) and have another appt in mid Aug before the baby comes. With my dd, I didn't have my hair done and then finding time to go and sit down in a salon for hours wasn't feasible since I was bf'ing....needless to say....my hair was put on hold for quite a few months...

moral of the story...get it done before they come if it really matters that much to you :-) 

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• I always use box dye.... I'm a poor teacher. : )

youll be fine 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"