Cloth Diapering

2 years CDing and getting annoyed!

I started CDing my son when he was 3 weeks old.  We have always used BG 4.0s (have a stash of 30) and up to lately, had no problems at all.  My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks, and I am about ready to throw these things out the window.

It is LEAK CITY around here.  I swear I put a diaper on him and he has wet through his pants in less than an hour.  And we've completely given up on cloth at night--I had to switch to disposables for overnight because he was waking up grossly wet every single morning.

I think I'm feeling especially annoyed because we went on vacation last week and used sposies (had no way to do laundry while we were gone) and no leaks the entire week.  Came home and the first CD I put on him, leaked thru in an hour.  Gah.

So anyway, here's my laundry specifics: front loading washer.  I use Rockin Green Hard Rock because we have hard water.  I do 1 cold rinse, 1 hot/heavy wash with soap, then another cold rinse.  I have occasionally stripped them with blue Dawn.  When I had stink issues about 6 months ago, I used a combo of vinegar/baking soda to get rid of it--no issue since.

Thoughts?  Is there something else I can do to stop the leaking, something I need to change/add to my laundry routine?  Is it because the dipes are nearly 2 years old?  I would hate to switch to sposies at this late date, but I can't afford to have my kiddo leaking 24/7 either!!  TIA. 

-DS #1 due 7/1/11, born 7/7/11
-m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
-DS #2 due 12/24/13, born 12/11/13

Re: 2 years CDing and getting annoyed!

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Tell us more about the leaks.  Is it leaking through the legs or waist band?  Then it might be a fit issue.  Are the inserts soaked?  If so you might need more absorbency.  Are the inserts dry?  You might have repelling and need to strip.  Do you line dry or machine dry? 
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • The leaks seem to be from around the leg area.  The inserts are usually soaked (definitely not dry).  I always line dry the outer covers.  The inserts, I usually machine dry unless it's nice out and I can get them on the clothesline.
    -m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
  • Loading the player...
  • What are you stuffing with? You may need more/better inserts to hold giant toddler pees.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    What are you stuffing with? You may need more/better inserts to hold giant toddler pees.

This is what it sounds like to me. We had similar issues with DD1, after she turned 2. I started adding in a bamboo doubler with the MF insert, and it helped a lot. Hemp and bamboo are trimmer so it won't add too much bulk. We also use BG 4.0's.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• THANK YOU for this suggestion.  It sounds dumb, but I never considered needing more absorbency now that he's getting older.  I will look into the natural fiber inserts for sure.  (We are still just using the MF ones that come with)
    -m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
  • DS1 can soak through a MF insert in about an hour. I agree with PP, it sounds like you have an absorbancy issue. I would either padfold a large flat or add a hemp or bamboo doubler. Overnight, you may want to look at fitteds like TT or Sbish with a wool or pul cover.
  • My "standard" diaper is now 1 MF and 1 bamboo applecheeks insert. If you need a bunch, I'd get 20 Alva 4 layer MF/Babmoo inserts and double stuff all your daytime diapers.

His night diaper is REALLY fat (a MF, a bamboo insert, a hemp doubler, and usually another bamboo doubler). But it works most of the time. 

• Does the elastic seem to be stretched out? Ours is seeming that way, and moisture seems to wick onto DD's pants around the legholes of the diaper a lot. We've taken good care of the dipes, but I think I used the same waist snap setting too long, so the leg elastic got stretched out.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 17 mo is having this issue as well. For those who suggested bamboo, can you use just the bamboo? Or is it best to pair with the MF? I am not looking forward to extra bulk. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageLhand11:
    My 17 mo is having this issue as well. For those who suggested bamboo, can you use just the bamboo? Or is it best to pair with the MF? I am not looking forward to extra bulk. 

I use MF+bamboo so I wouldn't have to buy as many new inserts mostly. You can use just bamboo. At least 2 inserts/diaper, though. 

• I pair an alva bamboo insert with the newborn BG insert it is more absorbent and less bulky than using both BG inserts like I was previously. We started having the same absorbency issues a month ago around 18 months and upping the absorbency worked like a charm. Stuffing with prefolds also works great, though adds more bulk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"